Thread: Ballpark Prucha Value??

Default Ballpark Prucha Value??

I have an opportunity to buy or trade for this mandolin, currently owned by a private individual. I have no idea what it might be worth, however. Can any of you mandolin gurus give me a reasonable "guesstimate"?? I don't need it, at all. On there other hand, I have way too many banjos!

http://gregboyd.com/instrument_detai...rument_key=881

Default Re: Ballpark Prucha Value??

The ad now says it is sold. Were you too late, or did you take the plunge?

I think they charged around $3K for it new. I'd say somewhere between $2200-2500 but I have never played one. They have been compared pretty closely with Collings here on the Cafe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron McMillan View Post
    The ad now says it is sold. Were you too late, or did you take the plunge?
    No, that listing was from 4 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGus View Post
    I think they charged around $3K for it new. I'd say somewhere between $2200-2500 but I have never played one. They have been compared pretty closely with Collings here on the Cafe.
    That is about what I would guess, too. It looks fairly comparable to the current Prucha A5 Standard, just with a smaller peg head inlay.

i would be tempted to call Mr Boyd himself and ask, he is very nice and loves to talk about these things. he likes Prucha instruments a lot and can tell you some interesting stories. the last one they had, a couple months ago, was used and A style and i kept looking at it time and again. it sounded really nice(it wasn't this one). seems like it was around $2900 but i think it sold for less. they'd had it for some time.

i have never played a Prucha mandolin, but i know the banjos are excellent. build quality is top shelf. Prucha makes some parts for some big name mandolin/banjo makers(or used to, Mr Boyd can fill you in on all this).

thats a real nice looking mandolin-love the color
    d

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Beardog,

Didn't you just get a new Gibson F9?

I have 2 friends who have Pruchas. One has a 1994 Flatiron Artist F5...I told him I like his Flatiron better. I like every "good" Gibson I've heard or played better than either Prucha; just a preference really, they are well built nice mandolins. I wouldn't give up on the F9 that quick though...If you're looking to get an additional mandolin, by all means, they don't sound like Gibsons so you will get a different mandolin tonal wise...
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Quote Originally Posted by DataNick View Post
    Beardog,

Didn't you just get a new Gibson F9?

I have 2 friends who have Pruchas. One has a 1994 Flatiron Artist F5...I told him I like his Flatiron better. I like every "good" Gibson I've heard or played better than either Prucha; just a preference really, they are well built nice mandolins. I wouldn't give up on the F9 that quick though...If you're looking to get an additional mandolin, by all means, they don't sound like Gibsons so you will get a different mandolin tonal wise...
    Oh, no! I love the F9! I had posted 3 banjos for possible trade toward mandolins, and this Prucha was offered up in trade for one of my Prucha banjos. The Prucha thing came up after I had already traded one banjo for the brand new F9. This would just be an A style mandolin to compliment my Gibson!

9. The following members say thank you to Beardog for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
    i would be tempted to call Mr Boyd himself and ask, he is very nice and loves to talk about these things. he likes Prucha instruments a lot and can tell you some interesting stories. the last one they had, a couple months ago, was used and A style and i kept looking at it time and again. it sounded really nice(it wasn't this one). seems like it was around $2900 but i think it sold for less. they'd had it for some time.

i have never played a Prucha mandolin, but i know the banjos are excellent. build quality is top shelf. Prucha makes some parts for some big name mandolin/banjo makers(or used to, Mr Boyd can fill you in on all this).

thats a real nice looking mandolin-love the color
    d
    I know Greg well. I have bought and traded several banjos with him in the past. Also, Chad is from Malvern, AR, about 15 miles from my house! I do plan to call them today or tomorrow, depending on schedules. One needs about an hour to have any kind of discussion by phone with Greg Boyd!!

Beardog,
    Just to let you know, Chad is no longer with Greg. He moved to Kalispell, his wife got a job there. If anyone knows more about Prucha instruments than Greg, I would be very surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by George R. Lane View Post
    Beardog,
    Just to let you know, Chad is no longer with Greg. He moved to Kalispell, his wife got a job there. If anyone knows more about Prucha instruments than Greg, I would be very surprised.
    Thanks for the update! The Prucha should be on its way to me after the Thanksgiving weekend!

13. The following members say thank you to Beardog for this post:

Gregs a Good Guy.. knows these and his instrument very well.. Known him for years.. and we've dealt lots in the past.. by the way.. Greg will talk your ear off... if you plan on Going to the store.. take a sleeping bag.. he will chat all day long..

Quote Originally Posted by slimt View Post
    Gregs a Good Guy.. knows these and his instrument very well.. Known him for years.. and we've dealt lots in the past.. by the way.. Greg will talk your ear off... if you plan on Going to the store.. take a sleeping bag.. he will chat all day long..
    Yep. Agreed!

I received the Prucha mandolin, and so far, I'm very happy with it. Looks brand new, and all I did was change the strings. I'm still new to the mandolin, but here is a quick, unedited video of the mandolin. Sorry about the slight volume clipping. I just used a desktop microphone, recorded into iMovie.