Thread: The Mandolin Store

Default The Mandolin Store

I got an e mail from The Mandolin Store offering some good prices for "Black Friday" so I called them, I only wanted three picks ($1.00) and one set of strings ($3.50) and when they tallied up my total bill it was $11.45, they said they only offered free shipping on instruments so I cancelled the order...Why pay three times as much of the order for such small items I asked and they said they package them in break proof cartons so that the Post office wouldn`t break them, I couldn`t convince them that picks and strings would not break if they just put them into an envelope and mailed them...

Do I sound unreasonable in stopping the order? This doesn`t mean that I won`t consider using them again when I am wanting to order something but I will look long and hard for a dealer that is a bit more understanding...

Willie

Default Re: The Mandolin Store

I feel your pain, but it would cost you more than that to drive to a store and get them. They are just protecting the merchandise they send.
    I placed an order with them this morning. What you have to do is make it worth your while. Get the 5 sets of strings and some other stuff and it makes it much better to justify the postal cost.

Steve

I ordered some picks once and sent a SASE to them with cash; saved myself a lot of money on shipping. I asked and they were willing to do it. Wouldn't hurt to ask.

I went for five sets of strings and the tuner. Super stocking stuffer for myself!
    Its a good store!

Our shipping rates are very competitive - I have checked. We have a system in place that allows us to toggle between Fed Ex and USPS Priority Mail and its all automated. This allows us to be able to process and ship say 200 orders in one day. This works very well. In addition First Class mail has no tracking and is not as reliable. When I first started in business I tried using it. it was problematic. I wound up having to re-ship orders to customers which created frustrated customers and cost us money.
    Happy Holidays
    Dennis Vance
    The Mandolin Store
    www.themandolinstore.com

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Mandolin Store For This Useful Post:

those folks are top shelf to buy from and work with. you must remember, its a super busy day for them-you wouldn't believe how many hours they will work filling orders, making sure things are right, making sure the right items reach the person(packed well) in this holiday season. during this time of year, packages and such get worse treatment due to the bulk and quickness of trying to get things where they are going(by shipping companies) and the weather of the time of year.

plus, shipping costs have went up for everyone.

as others mentioned, take advantage of the sale and pick up a few extras for later in the year and enjoy the savings in that way.

its a crazy time of year for all vendors
    d

@the OP - why not just jump into the car and buy locally? That would save you money, while supporting your local retailer.

I've bought a few instruments from the Mandolin Store, and have been happy with my experiences, FWIW.
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

This is the problem with Internet and long distance orders. I hate to pay more for shipping than for the item I bought but if the store offered free shipping on these small orders they would have to charge so much for them that they would price themselves out of business. I buy local when I can and bite the bullet and pay postage when I have to.

I try to buy stuff in batches so I can rack up enough to qualify for free shipping (Elderly ships free over $50). Musician's Friend ships free for just about anything if I remember correctly. Not everyone lives within driving distance of a music store, let alone a music store that stocks mandolin strings.
    Steve

Not unreasonable but I'm pretty sure they have picks and stings in Maryland already. It also depends on which picks and strings. The total wasn't crazy although it just may have absorbed the savings into shipping since it was a minor purchase.

My son works for the post office. If you could hear the stories. Only then would appreciate why Dennis and Brian ship things the way they do. It doesn't take a whole lot to bend a set of strings and put a kink in them, when hundreds of pounds of junk mail is dumped on top of everything. Then the store is responsible for trying to make it good, let alone the loss of time. You can't beat them up for high postal rates. That is out of their control. Like I said above make it worth your while, and order in bulk. The savings will be there. One thing for sure "The Mandolin Store" is trying to give you the best prices they can, and stay in business.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
    those folks are top shelf to buy from and work with. you must remember, its a super busy day for them-you wouldn't believe how many hours they will work filling orders, making sure things are right, making sure the right items reach the person(packed well) in this holiday season. during this time of year, packages and such get worse treatment due to the bulk and quickness of trying to get things where they are going(by shipping companies) and the weather of the time of year.
    True, and they don't exactly have an army of elves to help them.

But yeah ... for small low cost items like picks & strings you're going to pay a disproportionate amount of shipping (anywhere, including eBay, etc.) Buy these items in quantity and save.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Poole View Post
    I got an e mail from The Mandolin Store offering some good prices for "Black Friday" so I called them, I only wanted three picks ($1.00) and one set of strings ($3.50) and when they tallied up my total bill it was $11.45, they said they only offered free shipping on instruments so I cancelled the order...Why pay three times as much of the order for such small items I asked and they said they package them in break proof cartons so that the Post office wouldn`t break them, I couldn`t convince them that picks and strings would not break if they just put them into an envelope and mailed them...

Do I sound unreasonable in stopping the order? This doesn`t mean that I won`t consider using them again when I am wanting to order something but I will look long and hard for a dealer that is a bit more understanding...

Willie
    Speaking as a business owner that spends over $10K on postage a year, the problem of understanding isn't from The Mandolin Store, it's your own expectations. Businesses have the right and duty to ship what is paid for in a responsible manner, and the price relates to that responsible use. Thinking it's the obligation of every business to stick something in an envelope and mail it to you because it will save you money--while they pay the credit card fees to boot--but that takes the transaction out of their mailing software and tracking isn't realistic, not the mention it puts the responsibility of damage on them for doing so. Call amazon and see if they'll do this for you. Call a dozen places, then do business with them if you find one that will. Or hop in your car.

So, you asked a question, and I'll give you an answer. The problem isn't the dealer's understanding, it's your unreasonable expectations on a $4.50 purchase that you apparently felt so strongly about you thought it warranted a full thread, apparently with the intent to embarrass them.

I think there are better things to discuss.

15. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Scott Tichenor For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked