Thread: smalll PA

Default smalll PA

My son just got his first paying gig, and I'm thinking of helping him out with an inexpensive PA. He's playing solo, acoustic guitar, singing, at a small bar (not a loud bar), and may do coffeehouses,etc. if he's lucky. (If I'm lucky, he'll invite me to play mando alongside him sometime). Anyway, budget's an issue, and I'm looking to see if anyone has an opinion on the current version of the Fender Passport Conference PA. Retails for $400 (yes, budget's an issue). Thanks for any feedback.

Default Re: smalll PA

I like the Behringer EPA300 better
    http://www.music-group.com/Categorie...EPA300/p/P0787

The Behringer is a nice unit.

I went even a little cheaper.
    When we play in churches with my band and they don't have a PA I bring a small PA consisting of:
    2 Kustom PA-50 powered speakers ($79.95 each @ guitar center)
    1 Behringer 1202FX mixer (got for $40 on eBay)
    Cables/stands from Monoprice.com (a great source for cables)
    I already had 2 mics and our guitar/harmonica also plays in a western swing band so he's got mics

Total invested ~$375

Happy playing.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mandolins: Michael Kelley LFN-E, Ibanez M150 w/Baggs Radius (tuned to F)
    Guitars: Martin DX1E w/Fishman Aura (external), Baby Taylor, Ibanez Artwood 12 string,
    Epiphone Les Paul w/Fralin pickups, G&L AST

Ukuleles: Kala KA-15S soprano, Cordoba 20BM baritone

4. The following members say thank you to Jim B for this post:

gtani7 

If you need to, you can do the EPA150. But that doesn't leave a lot of headroom.
    http://www.music-group.com/Categorie...EPA150/p/P0642

Keep in mind that entry level PA are like entry level mandolins not much value for used. For that reason if I couldn't find a used unit I would do as Jim B said. With separate components you can add to and build up without junking everything you have.

I have an older Kustom Profile 100 I've been using for years for small venues. They make small speaker stands for them as well but mf doesn't carry them.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/searc...kustom+profile
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

See if you can find a used Carvin Stage Mate. Great little unit, you can take the battery out and cut the weight. Right now they are 37% off, still above your budget, but the new ones are more versatile.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...package?pfm=sp

This is enough to get him started. Add a couple of mics stands and cables at some point in the future and he can hire you to back him up. There is nothing much more fun than playing music with your kids....... R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Check out the Yamaha DBR10 powered speaker ( http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...Y&Q=&A=details ). It's 700W (500W + 200W) and has two inputs (1 mic/line + 1 line). The current price is $399.99. It would be more than enough for your son if his acoustic guitar has a pickup installed. If not, you can pick up a small mixing board to put in front of the speaker like a Peavey PV6 ( http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._USB_Live.html ) for $99.99. The mixing board would also allow you to perform with him. Both of these units are performance quality and you can add on to them later. You shouldn't have to replace them with something else later.
    Blueridge BR-60T Tenor Guitar
    Eastwood Warren Ellis 2P Tenor Guitar

11. The following members say thank you to Chip Stewart for this post:

gtani7 

Yamaha stage pass http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global...cts/pasystems/

all there is to deal with is the 2 speakers Amp mixer stows in 1, the same space in 2nd one takes cables..

& you can buy just 1, with the amp-mixer ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

+1 for the Yamaha StagePas. I used to use the Kustom Profile 100 but the Yamaha is a huge upgrade, and so much better in quality, power, headroom, sound quality, and ease of use. Very versatile unit.

The guy who sold it to me said "I like Yamaha equipment so much, if Yamaha made ketchup, I'd buy it instead of Heinz!"

I do have the speaker stands for the Kustom Profile, but they are no longer available. And the speaker stand sockets in those speakers do not fit standard stands. So that unit has to be used without stands or you would have to jury rig some kind of adaptor.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Stewart View Post
    If not, you can pick up a small mixing board to put in front of the speaker like a Peavey PV6 ( http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._USB_Live.html ) for $99.99.
    The Peavey mixers are a solid investment for anybody playing out, as are the Yamaha MG line, if you're not going to spring for, say a Soundcraft or Allen/Heath, they both sound decent with dynamic mikes, condensors and line level inputs. The only issue is that they have phantom power for all mikes or none, and i think it's better to get one with at least 10 or 12 line ins, for when people show up. I have a PV6, or at least i think i do,
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

+2 for Yamaha StagePAS

Very neat and convenient.

I've used a Fender Passport 150 since the Stone Age, and am (generally) pleased with its portability, output, and durability.

But there are things it doesn't have, like phantom power, and with only three channels, I've used a sub-mixer (which has phantom power) for anything more than solo work I'm a fan of condenser mics, so I also have a little 9v-powered phantom unit for when I want to use a condenser with the Passport.

Notice I did mention the "Stone Age." Lots of good stuff's come out since I bought the Passport from a fellow Neanderthal. Good suggestions above, but I did want to mention that I've found my Fender quite satisfactory.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I like the Yamaha stagepas.. Recently upgraded to JBL EON 610 and a Soundcraft UI12.

Found everything on Reverb at a good price..

Another votes for Yamaha Stagepass. I have 400i, which is beyond your budget, but perhaps the smaller units would were for you. My contra dance band uses it for smaller venues. We can plus in 4 XLR cables and 4 1/4 inch instrument cables.

Another thought is the Mackie 350 speaker version 3 used like an amp. It produces excellent acoustic guitar amplification.
    Harper (My other mandolin is a harp)

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

I like the fishman loudbox. Very simple. Nice sound. Downside is scalability but to me, simplicity wins.

I've been playing thru my Carvin AG 300 since this summer; really like it. Three channels, 200 W, phantom power, great sound, with a speaker pole mount and about 35 lbs. Smaller and more portable with less to haul around then a PA. Three way speaker box with great bass response for mandocello and octave viola. An acoustic amp with two or more channels makes a lot more sense than a PA for a solo performer in small to mid-size venues.

http://www.carvinaudio.com/products/ag300
    Last edited by Mandobart; Dec-08-2015 at 12:03am.

I have a powered yorkville setup but playing the markets I ran into power problems (none available). I picked up a Traynor 50 watt battery powered pa. it lasts about 15hrs on a charge. has 2 channels (one xlr one 1/4") and a third rca stereo input. I run fx off an eliminator. It does allow playing anywhere
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

The Compact, Roland AC 60 (& 90 I presume) also has a socket for a speaker stand in it's bottom....

it has a stereo input on the back panel, to run a Mixer - preamp sitting near you for more channels..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture