Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Should a beginner buy electric mandolin?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Should a beginner buy electric mandolin?

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Riley View Post
    Like to post this when questions come up about electric mandos.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LC6qXVLfg3E
    Love love love.

My go to video of emando is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjSwQFVzpro
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

2. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

I figured it all out. Electric Guitars are great for beginners due to the easier action, smaller size & thinner strings, so Electric Mandolin might work cause it's easier to play on Lower action.

Not to worry, you no longer have to lug around an amp cause they now make Electric Mandolins with built in amplifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by JL277z View Post
    Also, super-lightweight electric single strings are less damaging to pre-existing bad cartilage in arthritic fingers, less likely to aggravate existing carpal-tunnel or other conditions, etc. Electric instruments are an all-around god-send for people with hand problems due to the person's age or whatever. That is, for practicing at home anyway. The disadvantage comes with lugging around a bunch of gear if you need to take your gear to someplace else to play... although right now I have just as much difficulty carting around an acoustic instrument's heavy case + instrument, as I do my electric gear... wheeled/roller stuff helps.

And electric instruments help to stave off MAS (Mandolin Acquisition Syndrome), because if you want a new sound, just turn some knobs (or, I guess you could add some pedals although I haven't got that far with electric music yet) and use a different sound-modeling setting... thinking specificially of my cheap Roland Micro Cube amplifier which I've had tons of fun with (I guess there are other types of acoustic-emulators, pedals or something, but I haven't tried them) ... the Roland 'COSM' thing lets me dial in a quasi-"Acoustic" sound for when I want a sweet sound, or on occasions when I want something with some edge/distortion I can dial in one of the rock-type sounds just for fun for a few minutes - fun for playing bagpipe tunes although I probably wouldn't do so publicly - then I go back to the sweeter sound.

As others have mentioned, the headphone/silent option is particularly nice, I do nearly all my practicing through headphones and I can make whatever horrible racket I want when learning tunes, for as many hours as I want, without disturbing anyone.

But - here's the downside - you'd probably also (eventually) need an acoustic instrument for certain types of performances, as someone pointed out there is still a lot of non-acceptance of electric instruments (like in jams, Irish sessions etc), which I find really really weird considering that electric instruments have been around since the 1930s (my dad had a 1930s electric Rickenbacker lap steel, it looked like this but without the red knob) and popular since the 1950s (the Sears mail-order catalog had solid-body electric guitars in the 1950s, see Danelectro info and Harmony catalog info) ... although I personally know of musicians who still can't seem to get past the electric-instrument-stereotype of y'know some pharmaceutical-enhanced 'degenerate' rock-n-roller or whatever, in fact that's how *I* thought for a long time, but I got over it. Sometimes I think musicians stubbornly act against their own best interests when it comes to bias towards/against certain types of instruments, if their decisions as to what they like/accept are based purely on principle rather than practicality/playability.
    That's no longer true these days, the rules have changed years ago & just like Electric Guitars are easier to play, Electric mandolins are easier than the Acoustic Mandolins so they've made it on Play ability.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually Electric is way more beginner friendly

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    Electric instruments have been around since the 30's and I have been around since the early 50's but I fail to see what that has to do with anything. I don't like electric instruments because of their tone. As was stated in a previous post a solid body electric mandolin sounds like a solid body electric guitar which sounds nothing like a guitar.it has nothing to do with me thinking that if you play an electric you are a pharmaceutical-enhanced degenerate roc and roller. I just like a guitar to sound like a guitar and a mandolin to sound like a mandolin. Also if you are old enough to remember I didn't like Buck Trents electric banjo either. Those of us that feel this way want to play with people that feel like we do, we don't care if you play your electric instruments jut not with us.
    Electric Guitars sound like Guitars already so the Electric Mandolin sounds like an Amplified Mandolin. Just like the Electric Guitar is easier to learn on than the Acoustic for beginners, this should be the same for Electric Mandolins (etc). This:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggOkbClin4M is an 8 String Electric Mandolin which already sounds like a Mandolin being played through an amp. There's a reason why Electric Guitars are easier to play than Acoustic Guitars for beginners, this should be the same for Electric Mandolins.

I got a solid body electric mandolin pretty early on, 8-string. It did nothing for me, as it did not have the range of expression or nuance I could get out of an acoustic. I was hoping it would work like a silent mando, but it was not fun to play, no nuance at all. Meaning it was obvious to me I could not learn to play musically on it (mando is not my first instrument).

Then I tried a Godin A8 (a hollow-body 8-string flat-top acoustic-electric), same problem, it didn't do anything an acoustic (with a pickup) couldn't do better.

Years later I got a 4 string electric mando, and that thing was wonderful, I could bend on it and do vibrato. :-) I got a 4 string electric mandola and OM too, all from Eastwood. Love them all.

Even though I like to indulge in a little electric guitar-style playing now and then, my heart is still in the acoustic instruments.

It was a few years of playing before I had enough technique to do what I call 'pulling tone from the instrument'. Meaning I could control tone and nuance on every note and stroke. It was such a joy to me when that happened, and you can't do that on an electric. Single-string-per-course electrics can do other very interesting things like an electric guitar, but an acoustic is where you learn to play.

Electrics still need to be tuned, when the wood absorbs moisture (unlike a cast iron piano plate), but will hold a tune better than a hollow body, especially in a temperature/humidity controlled environment.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

You can actually put ultra light strings on your Mandolin (9s) so that you can do bending.

Electric Mandolins also have flatter bodies so they're a bit easier to support, along w/ the better action & lighter gauge Strings. So Play ability is now the most important thing, just like the Electric Guitar is beginner friendly, the same can be said for an Electric Mandolin cause it's a "Pain-free" playing experience.

It's way easier to get a good sound out of an Electric Mandolin due to it being a little bit smaller, plus we now have a Boss Kantana Air Wireless amp:https://www.boss.info/us/products/katana-air/ that you can use to play anywhere. The Electric Mandolin combines the Mandolin sound w/ the smooth play ability of an Electric Guitar.

If you do get an Electric Mandolin, bring a Boss Kantana Air Wireless amp w/ you. Electrophonic is working on versions w/ a built in amp.

Even though Electric Mandolins have thinner strings for playability (some have a built in amp too), we now have 4 String Acoustic Mandolins too:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLYB7ZsQFPw shaped like the Electric versions that are great for playing rock music in an Unplugged setting.

Quote Originally Posted by kurth83 View Post
    I got a solid body electric mandolin pretty early on, 8-string. It did nothing for me, as it did not have the range of expression or nuance I could get out of an acoustic. I was hoping it would work like a silent mando, but it was not fun to play, no nuance at all. Meaning it was obvious to me I could not learn to play musically on it (mando is not my first instrument).

Then I tried a Godin A8 (a hollow-body 8-string flat-top acoustic-electric), same problem, it didn't do anything an acoustic (with a pickup) couldn't do better.

Years later I got a 4 string electric mando, and that thing was wonderful, I could bend on it and do vibrato. :-) I got a 4 string electric mandola and OM too, all from Eastwood. Love them all.

Even though I like to indulge in a little electric guitar-style playing now and then, my heart is still in the acoustic instruments.

It was a few years of playing before I had enough technique to do what I call 'pulling tone from the instrument'. Meaning I could control tone and nuance on every note and stroke. It was such a joy to me when that happened, and you can't do that on an electric. Single-string-per-course electrics can do other very interesting things like an electric guitar, but an acoustic is where you learn to play.

Electrics still need to be tuned, when the wood absorbs moisture (unlike a cast iron piano plate), but will hold a tune better than a hollow body, especially in a temperature/humidity controlled environment.
    Electric Mandolins are so much easier to play due to the thinner strings, & flatter body. They do make Electric shape Acoustic Mandolins that allow you to look cool in an Unplugged setting.

Hello there, Oscar Stern here. We all know that Electric Guitars are easier for beginners than Acoustic Guitars because of their Ergonomic Construction, Easier Action, & Thinner strings which when plugged into the amp result in a good sound too, this is also true for Electric Mandolins (both 4 & 8 String versions) & just about any Electric Musical Instrument (Electronic too) cause you'll save alot of time & get better even faster. They're working on Acoustic Mandolins that feel like Electric Mandolins so that we can rock out in an Unplugged setting. You think Electric Mandolins are the only 4 String Mandolins out there? That's not really the case because we also have 4 String Acoustic Mandolins too:https://www.ebay.com/itm/Domra-Conce...Cclp%3A2334524 such as this 4 String Domra Prima from Russia. So TBH 8 String Electric Mandolins are Electrified Solid Body Mandolins with easier action, but the 4 String Electric Mandolin on the other hand is really an Electrified Russian Domra Prima so you can actually play Russian Music on it

Actually they now have a new Mando-Stratocoustic. Electric Mandolins actually sound like Amplified Mandolins when plugged in so that statement some of you are saying that they don't sound like them is outdated.

Electric Mandolins have an intonatable bridge so they're easier to adjust. TBH Electric Mandolins have an Expression or nuance that's about 15 times as much as an Acoustic.

Electric Mandolins tend to be set up more properly than Acoustic Mandolins plus they sound bigger, & they now cost less than Acoustic Mandolins cause they're less bulky. However to make your Acoustic Mandolin feel like an Electric you'd have to get this Tailpiece:https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-ha...All%20Products so you can use Ball End Electric Mandolin Strings with it. Even though Electric Mandolins are easier to get a good sound out of the only downside is that (now matter how many strings it has cause Acoustic Mandolins w/ 4 Strings now exist etc) they're not a good match for an Unplugged Rock Setting, unless there's an Acoustic Mandolin shaped like an Electric Mandolin.

To be fair everyone Electric Mandolins are so much easier to play than Acoustic Mandolins due to the more Ergonomic Construction. Even though they're easier to play & they look & sound ergonomic (plus they tend to be more easily setup), they're not really a good match for Unplugged Jams at least until they make Acoustic Mandolins shaped like Electric Mandolins. Fender does make Acoustic Guitars shaped like Electric Guitars, so maybe they should do the same thing w/ their Acoustic-Electric Mandolins. An Acoustic-Electric Mando-Strat (4 & 8 String versions etc) would be cool cause you have the playability, look (and adjustable bridge too) & Feedback Free Magnetic Pickup of an Electric Mandolin (great for Amplified Settings) w/ the Resonant Acoustic Mandolin body which means you might be able to Rock out in an Unplugged setting.
    Last edited by s11141827; Apr-04-2021 at 12:12pm. Reason: Figured it out

Beginners can now buy Electric Mandolins & they cost 1/2 as much as Acoustic Mandolins due to the more ergonomic setup & feel.

Question Re: Should a beginner buy electric mandolin?

And a solid body magnetic pickup electric ought to be nice & quiet to practice at night.. .

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

21. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

I'd advise starting on acoustic for one reason, and that's that you don't have so many options to fiddle with STUFF. That's a lot easier than learning to play the mandolin, and years ago I did it with electric guitar. Buy a Strat copy, change everything on the guitar except the treewood bits, check out amps, headphone amps, pedals, blah... Before you know it you're 2 years down the road and and you still only know 6 chords and the Sunshine of Your Love riff. So, I'd suggest you start with one $500/£500-ish acoustic mandolin (used if you can get a good one so you can get your money back IF....), learn to play a bit - you can still change strings, bridge, tuners, 'cept that won't take you 2 years of practice time then buy an electric as well.

Resident Hack

I practice most of the time on an electric, to keep the noise down.
    See the thread "Songs/tunes that drive our partners (and families) crazy!" for reasons why a beginner might want an electric.
    What I play
    2021 Skip Kelley Two-Point
    Eastwood 'Ricky'
    Morgan Monroe RT-1E
    Epiphone Genesis guitars
    Various Basses

Lots of weird "spam" stuff here...

I'll say what I tell beginners in the violin world: You can't learn tone production on an electric violin/fiddle, and it is the same with an electric mando vs acoustic.

25. The following members say thank you to luthier88 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by kurth83 View Post

Electric Mandolins are easier to make a good sound out of so they're more beginner friendly. I converted one of my Acoustic Mandolins to have no expression like an Electric by filling its body w/ foam.

Actually w/ Electric Guitar it's easier same w/ Electric Mandolin, etc. I converted one of my Acoustic Violins to have the same amount of response as an Electric by chopping the high of the ribs down so that it has a super thin body.

Quote Originally Posted by luthier88 View Post
    Lots of weird "spam" stuff here...

I'll say what I tell beginners in the violin world: You can't learn tone production on an electric violin/fiddle, and it is the same with an electric mando vs acoustic.
    That statement is now 15 & a Half years out of date, it's easier to learn tone production on an Electric instrument due to the easier action & slightly smaller size.