Thread: Does drilling the endpin decrease the instrument's value?

Question Does drilling the endpin decrease the instrument's value?

Assuming the work is done well by a capable and professional luthier, does drilling the endpin to install an internal pickup inherently decrease the instrument's value? I'm talking something pretty nice in the $4K-$8K range like a Collings, Ellis, Kimble, etc.

We can set aside the question of why/if one would opt to do so, which is discussed extensively in other threads. Let's just say not all performance environments allow for the ideal scenario of a quality condenser and a quiet room with an attentive audience, sometimes you gotta play in a loud club or dive bar and don't want to spend your whole life battling feedback (although of course you'd opt to mic up whenever possible).

Assuming you wanted to install an internal pickup in your brand new mandolin, does that automatically devalue the instrument?

Default Re: Does drilling the endpin decrease the instrument's value?

In my mind yes, but others might not care. There are alternatives. Take a look at this thread.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Thanks Mike, that's interesting as is this one which also discusses Tapastring Vintage Jacks, which I had not known about before.

Original question still applies for anyone else reading. Does it have to decrease the value, couldn't it be viewed as an enhancement or is that just not the way valuation in the mando market works?

Probably wouldn't to some one that wanted one or didn't care, it would lower it's value to me. The real value of anything is what someone is willing and able to pay not some figure in a book somewhere.

It could be seen as a plus to a buyer who wants a pickup already installed, assuming it's professionally done.

If it's a gigging instrument it is most likely going to show more wear so in my opinion it is most likely going to be bought by a person who is going to gig with it. It's hard to keep an instrument pristine if you do a lot of gigging, especially in loud and or dive bars so the person, player, collector most likely will not think the pickup a plus, the performer however will. For me it would be a plus, tho I put the tapastring in mine.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

In my opinion, for modern instruments, in most cases, it does not detract from the value, it may even enhance it a bit as you have to pay extra for a factory installed one. Exceptions would be the really high priced stuff, Gibson Master Models, Gichrists, Dudenbostels, etc. Down side on resale is only buyers who want a pickup may consider it.

I had a bad experience buying a used instrument with a "professionally installed" pickup. It ended up buzzing terribly and I finally had to pull it out. I decided to plug the hole and reinstall an endpin. Major pain.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

For some folk it would,& for others it wouldn't. That's the chance you take if you ever come to sell it. Personally,i'd never even consider a mandolin that had a pickup installed or had had one previously,but that's maybe just me. I want the instrument to be in 'original condition' as an acoustic instrument,not an electric 'has been'.Maybe i'm overly 'purist' in this,but the finest mandolin on the planet with a pickup installed or one removed,wouldn't tempt me. For me,acoustic instruments are exactly that & should remain as such. I don't even like acoustic guitars with in-built pickups.As i say,that's just me,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Blog Entries

I would not like to see a drilled end-pin on either a mandolin, or on a vintage guitar. Both would devalue in my eyes. On modern guitars, well, probably not much to worry about there. On vintage instruments (or mandolins) I really like the Tapastring Vintage Jacks because a) They can be removed, and re-used, without trace and b) They are well engineered and are very reliable.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Why would replacing the end pin lower the value any more than installing an internal pickup?
    Living’ in the Mitten

Blog Entries

An internal pickup can completely removed without trace (at least some can, such as the C411)... but a drilled end-pin hole is there for ever, and not everyone wants to see an ugly 1/4" jack socket. Sure, you can plug them and re-drill, but it is still there.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

Some people think that installing a strap button on the heel will devalue an instrument; so would you install one of those on a Collings, Ellis, Kimble, etc.? Both my Kimbles came with strap buttons originally installed by Will so, if he had also installed an endpin jack, would that have made them worth less? If not, why does it matter who installs it?

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

If you're planning on selling it, then don't. But, if like me, you keep your instruments, do what you need to make it work as best as possible for you as you can.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

No use getting defensive about it it is what it is. If I was considering 2 equal mandolins( is there such a thing) one with end pin drilled out the other without I would be willing to pay more for the one without. Why? Because I will never want to plug it in and I don't need or like the drilled out hole. Some one that needed that feature would probably pay more for the one drilled out. Having said all that if you want to drill the end pin to install pick-up do it. It's your mandolin make it do what you want or need it to do and don't worry about resale value. You don't own it if you can't do with it what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    An internal pickup can completely removed without trace (at least some can, such as the C411)... but a drilled end-pin hole is there for ever, and not everyone wants to see an ugly 1/4" jack socket. Sure, you can plug them and re-drill, but it is still there.
    You are right almeriastrings, but on a mandolin if you fill the hole and redrill it for a standard end pin most tailpieces cover it up. Yea it's still there, but not visible. Think that would help some not wanting the 1/4" end pin. You know what they say, "out of sight out of mind"
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

In my experience selling 3 high end instruments that I had placed pickups in the answer is no, the value was not diminished at all.

I found that for every potential buyer that would not entertain the thought of buying a drilled out endpin, there was one who was thrilled that it had a pickup already installed.
    willi

I'm in the minority that don't consider an internal pu to reduce the value. There are several products that will not alter the acoustic tone while still allowing you to plug in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
    I'm in the minority that don't consider an internal pu to reduce the value. There are several products that will not alter the acoustic tone while still allowing you to plug in.
    +1, it's a tool for making music, and if you normally play plugged in when out and about, then a pickup is a plus. If you normally play acoustic jams then it's a different situation. Horses for courses etc.

All my main mandos have pickups, and I wouldn't be without them, nor without a strap button. Only exception are my bowlbacks - I've never ever seen one with a pickup - and the end block is typically so small they'd probably fall apart if you drilled it anyway!

I buy instruments to make music. Whatever I need to do to them that helps me to achieve the goal doesn't bother me in the least. I had a K&K installed on my Gibson F5 two weeks after I bought it and never even considered how it would affect the value. I plan on keeping it until I die anyway, then it will be someone else's problem.

I would feel differently about a vintage instrument, I would probably want to preserve it as close to original as possible.

So, I guess I really don't know the answer to your question. A pickup makes the mandolin more valuable to me, but I don't know about the next guy. My guess is that it wouldn't lower the value so much as it would narrow the pool of prospective buyers right off the bat.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

Has anyone ever heard of someone installing a 1/4 inch endpin jack on a Loar?
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Blog Entries

The thing is... if you get a 'Vintage Jack' you can "have your cake and eat it too", because they are built like tanks and will pretty much last for ever. Keep the original endpin and if you ever want to sell the instrument, you can just remove the transducers and put it back. No damage. You can then transfer the Vintage Jack and electronics to your next instrument.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vintage_jack_ellis.jpg 
Views:	426 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	141510
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

My experience selling vintage acoustic guitars that had 1/4 inch side jack holes plugged is, "gee, I wish they hadn't done that" and "it is no longer original". BUT, I've never seen a plugged hole affect the price or be a deal breaker, if the guitar is otherwise nice.

I could see where it could be a deal breaker for someone looking for a perfectly mint instrument. The same buyer who would object to a strap button, I'm thinking.

On a new instrument, however, I think we have better options available to us these days.

I was trying to think of a clever metaphor and failed. Best, I could come up with was if you are old enough to remember in the 50's and 60's very few cars had a passenger side rear view mirror (or it may have been an added cost option). I don't think I could drive a car today without one.

sometimes you gotta play in a loud club or dive bar and don't want to spend your whole life battling feedback
    You then Own a second mandolin which is less acoustically responsive , but Mechanically feed back resistant because of It.

Then have a Pickup on/in It ..

I have a Mix CF A5 with a Schertler installed pickup, bought as such ..

Before that I Just used the external removable version .. on the '22 A4.

Assuming you wanted to install an internal pickup in your brand new mandolin, does that automatically devalue the instrument?
    .. not if the buyer is a Working Musician who will also value the Amplification potential already done for them ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

A second thumbs up for the tapastring end pin jack, they work great and can be removed without a trace
    John

2012 Collins MT-2 Birds Eye Maple
    1924 Gibson F-4
    2010 Custom National Resonator (one of a kind)
    1930 National Resonator with new custom neck and "Doug Unger" inlay and back painted by Howard "Louie Bluie" Armstrong
    2005 Godin A-8
    2013 Kentucky KM-1050 "stage and club mandolin"

Registered User Atlanta Mando Mike's Avatar

I think it will matter to very few people and even less to actual players.