Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gibson Master Model on Shopgoodwill

Default Re: Gibson Master Model on Shopgoodwill

Sorry
    Danny Clark

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Clark View Post
    Sorry
    That's right Danny, intelligent thought should be punished. Now go back to ignoring the rich man taking advantage of the poor and needy... not that I need this mandolin.

I have bought on ShopGoodwill, and I assume that with recent stuff, the high bidders are local and have seen it, and with vintage stuff, it is a chance to be first to get something when it hits the vintage market. I play banjo, and particularly with banjos, if they have been traded in the vintage market, there are real questions about how original anything is. I have bought 2 Gibson built tenor banjos (1 Recording King, and 1 Ward) and they were unmolested period instruments, Never even had the heads off as far as I can tell. I was pleased with the purchase. It is definitely buyer beware though.

looks like it may have been sold by Mandolin World Headquarters in Richmond at one time. It would be worth calling him to see if he knows anything. He is a regular advertiser on this site.

Since it was Said, and can't be Unsaid... Please clarify if you were referring to the bogus Mark Curran or the real Jim Gibbons.
    There's nothing "funny" about Goodwill.org

I hate that this thread has been used to perpetrate a 7 year old internet timer about Goodwill. It's absolutely false. Goodwill is a non profit organization and the CEO, Jim Gibbons, does earn a 6 figure salary but it is a huge organization after all and he reports to a volunteer board of directors. Let's put this one to rest once and for all. Their records are public and available to anyone who care to do the research.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to multidon For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    I hate that this thread has been used to perpetrate a 7 year old internet timer about Goodwill. It's absolutely false. Goodwill is a non profit organization and the CEO, Jim Gibbons, does earn a 6 figure salary but it is a huge organization after all and he reports to a volunteer board of directors. Let's put this one to rest once and for all. Their records are public and available to anyone who care to do the research.
    Thanks Don for spelling this out. This was one of those 'chain-mail', viral deals that turned out to be a completely unfounded shot at Goodwill. I fell for it...at least long enough to do five minutes worth of research.
    The problem with those malicious rumors is that they do tend to stick somewhere in the back of people's minds.
    This forum may not be the place to discuss it, but to be fair, it should be (I think) the place to at least set the record straight.

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    I am not talking about claims made on the internet, personally. I worked at one and if you did you would know on day one they make a profit the way it is set up. All are free donations and some workers are volunteers. They vary a lot location to location and also on profits and donations. One manager I had was more profit minded than the other who was more kindly to the poor. Sometimes items were set aside for personal purchases before they hit the floor and the managers can put whatever price they want on things. If it's 'non-profit' who are they donating the profits to?
    Last edited by OldGus; Dec-07-2015 at 2:02pm.

If Goodwill is truly a non-profit tax-exempt entity it cannot by law turn a profit.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    If Goodwill is truly a non-profit tax-exempt entity it cannot by law turn a profit.
    Invisible lines are easy to cross.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OldGus View Post
    Invisible lines are easy to cross.
    Including those lines of the Forum Posting Guidelines that many of you have never taken the trouble to read. Get it back on topic.

Discussions started with the specific purpose or that end up used specifically for the purpose of antagonizing or calling into question a moderator's control of this forum or the site owner's right to enforce forum policy is forbidden and may result in immediate and permanent loss of membership and posting privileges. If you have concerns regarding forum policy contact a moderator or the site owner privately.
    Last edited by Scott Tichenor; Dec-07-2015 at 2:54pm. Reason: violates forum posting guidelines

<take it elsewhere. we are not in the business of hosting discussions that have moved outside of the purpose of this forum.>
    Last edited by Scott Tichenor; Dec-07-2015 at 2:55pm. Reason: violates forum posting guidelines
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls