Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gibson Master Model on Shopgoodwill

Default Gibson Master Model on Shopgoodwill

Has anyone else seen it? Serial number is 30731070. Anyone else see it? Can't see who signed it on the label. How old is it? Comes with a Calton case! New today and already up to 1300 something. How much will it go for?
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Default Re: Gibson Master Model on Shopgoodwill

I'd guess 2003?

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

The serial number is actually 30731030. I believe that is a Danny Roberts year, July 31, 2003. I'll check the list. Should indeed be Danny Roberts:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...luthiers/page4
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fern.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	141438  
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

And the link to the Shopgoodwill auction is:

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions...-26106438.html
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

The 'V' stands for varnish. And 2003 was the year that those few exceptional models were signed by Danny R. Could be a great one.

Can't believe it's up to 3500 already with 6 days to go!

The Mandolin Store has a 2005 for sale, also Danny R., in excellent condition for 4999. It's not varnish and has no Calton case, but on the other hand it has been professionally evaluated and set up, so a wash in my book. Buying anything from Shopgoodwill is an as is pig in a poke. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

It is a funny site. 99 percent of the time their instruments are the worst crap. But when they get something good for a change, although it's counterintuitive, that quality item ends up going for above market, sometimes substantially above. People just go nuts. Auction fever I guess. But I stopped looking at it a long time ago because there aren't any bargains. Either crap or overpriced. But my wife still looks at it, which is why I knew about this.
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

I own a June 23, 2003 Danny Roberts Fern V finished a week before this one that is an outstanding instrument. There is no way that it is worth $4999, the varnish finish alone increases the value. I am one of those owners who think that the varnish makes a lot of difference in the sound and if it sells for less than $9K it is a bargain. 2003 is a special year for Gibson mandolins and you rarely find one for sale. If you can, get it as it will be a bargain.

I should note that it does not sound like a MM but it is clearly Gibson. I A/B'd it last year against 5 Loars and while they had some qualities in common, my Fern was different, not worse or better. It did sound more like the 30's (?) Fern at Bernunzio's that I saw yesterday but in this case i liked my mandolin better. I think that this will be a classic mandolin in another 50 years and it is an outstanding one now. This is a wonderful opportunity for someone to upgrade.

just my two cents,

Mike Keyes
    Last edited by mikeyes; Dec-05-2015 at 11:02am.

Yes Mike, well, you would be much more of an expert on the value than I. I am no expert, I just know what I've seen in my limited experience. How much does a varnish finish add to the value? Well, I know Weber the best. On an F style made by them the upcharge is 2,500. I know what happens sometimes when you "assume", but without anything else to go on, I don't have any choice and if that is what others charge, give or take..well, let's be generous and say 3000. And further assume that a used instrument would retain 100 percent of that added value, which I doubt. We then come up with a fair market price of 8000. So I guess you are pretty close with under 9000 being a bargain then but I still sure wouldn't want to lay down that much green on something from Shopgoodwill that has not been examined by an expert and may have hidden problems. I also have to wonder how they got something like that just donated.

Again, no Gibson expert at all here, but just wondering why 2003 is such a "special" year for Gibson mandolins? Why is 2003 more special than 2002 or 2004? You give no specifics.
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Anything over $7,000 is too much.

10. The following members say thank you to sgarrity for this post:

OldGus 

If say add $2500 for varnish and a Calton
    I've sold these for 8k when times were good
    Danny Clark

I do have some bias as I think my mandolin has superior qualities, especially when compared to lacquer versions around the same period. Big Joe and others have agreed with my assessment about the special run of "V" Ferns in that period and when I first saw it I compared it to about 10 new Gibson mandolins that were hanging on the wall at the store that eventually sold it to my wife (as a suprize to me.) As I mentioned above, it is not a Loar clone, but it has a special sound all it's own that is different from other Ferns I have played. There are so few of the "V" models that it is hard to find them and play them, but knowing Gibson they probably don't all sound alike.

I think you have a point about the pig/poke aspect of this sale and it will probably decrease the final price, but if I was interested, I would be traveling down there in a second as it would only be a few hours away. This instrument may disappoint then, but it has the type of breeding that makes one want to look at it.

I predict less than $5K now.

Mike

Carter's has a 2002 F5V for sale now at $11,500....

I just keep thinking about some person's family toting that off to the Goodwill thinking it was just some old junk.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

I'm pretty sure these were around 11000 brand new, based on what I read. Used ones a few years ago went for somewhere in the 7000 range. So Carter's apparently thinks they've appreciated? Because of demand vs. supply?
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

I think there has been at least two for sale on the forum since the spring,,one I'm pretty sure was $9500.....

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    I just keep thinking about some person's family toting that off to the Goodwill thinking it was just some old junk.
    And, the lucky bidder can tell his friends he just "found" it at the Goodwill!
    Last edited by Jeff Mando; Dec-06-2015 at 10:16am.

I guess another question is, if someone spends $5K or more at Shopgoodwill and something goes wrong, what is their return policy? What are their qualifications to be selling $5K instruments? Do they have a "music expert" on salary? Or does some clerk just say, "hey, this looks nice, let's auction it!" Everyone is getting exciting thinking this may be a bargain, and it may be, but what if there is a hairline crack, etc., that can't be seen in the photos? Or, by bidding are you just taking that chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    I guess another question is, if someone spends $5K or more at Shopgoodwill and something goes wrong, what is their return policy? What are their qualifications to be selling $5K instruments? Do they have a "music expert" on salary? Or does some clerk just say, "hey, this looks nice, let's auction it!" Everyone is getting exciting thinking this may be a bargain, and it may be, but what if there is a hairline crack, etc., that can't be seen in the photos? Or, by bidding are you just taking that chance?
    I'm pretty sure somebody was knowledgeable enought to know what they had there, maybe not to the fullest but they did list it with a Calton case. The folks that "donated" it didn't know enough to even look for one on eBay.

To address the other question, buying here is like gambling. You take a chance and you win big or you might not. The best way to lose at any gamble is to gamble with scared money. If you're afraid you're going to lose you need to stay away from the game. In a nutshell you're taking a chance on winning big but if losing is going to be a problem for you you shouldn't be in the game in the first place. This one is already beyond what I would personally gamble on, for others it isn't.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Return policy is clearly stated as all merchandise sold as is. No refunds unless there was a major distortion in the description. Shopgoodwill.com is merely acting as a venue for online line sales and in the bidder agreement you agree to not hold them responsible for anything, including the quality of the merchandise. They are located in Santa Ana, California. Refunds are handled through Goodwill Industries in East Peoria, IL.

To address the other question, buying here is like gambling. You take a chance and you win big or you might not.
    I guess it would show "poor form" to be the guy who took Goodwill (a charity) to court and sued them for a refund.....

Blog Entries

I'd like to know the story behing this donation. Strings aren't that old - seems very 'not right' to me

23. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    I'd like to know the story behing this donation. Strings aren't that old - seems very 'not right' to me
    According to a Google search Charles Johnson had that mandolin at one point. There's no information on the link but his page comes up in the search using Gibson 30731030 as the search terms.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    Might be one of those ex-wife/girlfriend revenge scenarios -- "Sorry, honey, I donated the stuff in your closet to charity to make room for my new shoes......." Similar scene in the "Waiting to Exhale" movie.

The string packages are recent ones
    I read once where the owner of Goodwill is a billionaire
    You donate the stuff and they make the profit
    Nice return on investment on this item!
    Danny Clark

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Clark View Post
    The string packages are recent ones
    I read once where the owner of Goodwill is a billionaire
    You donate the stuff and they make the profit
    Nice return on investment on this item!
    I was tempted to discuss this as I've read the same but it really is beyond the scope of the forum.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

28. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post: