Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Live Online Performance & Discussion Featuring Weber Mandolins

Blog Entries

Default Re: Live Online Performance & Discussion Featuring Weber Mandolin

"Country-ish music."

I guess if there is a mandolin, and its not a bowlback, its country-ish.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by Teak View Post
    And you don't see the irony in that?

SHEL is a breath of fresh air in the music world, IMHO, and one of the reasons that makes them unique is that they do not use a guitar! Quick, name me another group that doesn't have guitar.

Anyway, good on you darylcrisp, I am sure the guitarists will appreciate their music all the same.
    it appears Eva plays guitar as well

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darylcrisp For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
    Interesting song.... She's playing open (something C / D / E / Etc ) I was mesmerized by it... was almost like a Native American Chant. Thanks for sharing.
    Blessings,
    Kip...

If you think you can or think you can't... you're likely right!

Eastman MD515, amid many guitars and a dulcimer.

Quote Originally Posted by Teak View Post
    And you don't see the irony in that?

SHEL is a breath of fresh air in the music world, IMHO, and one of the reasons that makes them unique is that they do not use a guitar! Quick, name me another group that doesn't have guitar.
    Dervish? Mandola and Bouzouki there. And not a few other Irish/Scottish groups where the guitar isn't always considered a central as it is in Americana music genres.

Maybe the guitar forum can be as open-minded as the Cafe is, about infrequent examples of music that's great but doesn't always include the subject instrument. That's what I like about this place.

Oops, double post.
    Last edited by Teak; Dec-13-2015 at 12:36pm. Reason: Double post
    "Those who know don't have the words to tell, and the ones with the words don't know so well." - Bruce Cockburn

Quote Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
    Good find Darylcrisp!
    "Those who know don't have the words to tell, and the ones with the words don't know so well." - Bruce Cockburn

happening tonight, bringing it back to the top

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Well, that was excellent! Her choice of songs, her playing and singing, her instruments (including guitar on two songs ), the sound, and her presence - her humor and responses to questions - plus input from sisters Hannah and Liza and especially her hilarious dad - all in all, a great way to spend a couple of hours. I'm quite impressed, even more than I already was, and I'd like to see if there's any way to book them in down here when they go on tour.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Yep, I second the excellence. Although, I was at work, it was thankfully slow and I got to watch a couple songs. Kinda the unfortunate thing about concertwindow is you can't rewind or go look up the video when its all said in done (apparently anyway, I looked). Nonetheless, I'm looking forward to a new SHEL album and enjoyed what I could watch!

Thanks Eva for a great experience and I hope you can put on more little shows like this, I'm thinking next time I'll splurge and get myself a top hat!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around and play mandolin.”

Blog Entries

Yes, I saw your name in the scroll. And yes - I also wish there were some way to save or review the show. Too bad portions of it were hampered by the video and audio being out of sync. But to the Holbrook sisters' credit, they were responsive to viewers' comments and sorted it out - refreshing their browser did it. This just added to the charm. Of which there was already plenty. There's something so impressive about a musician who can just sit down in front of a microphone and play and sing, and have it sound like you are right there in the room.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

i had to miss it all at work, the ER broke loose and its heading into 1am and just now slowed down.
    if anyone knows how or if you can watch the show "after the fact" please post here for those of us who had unfortunate circumstances.

d

Yep I'm im one of the ones that was unable to see this...
    It's gotta be streamed or put on YouTube after the fact.

Blog Entries

One hopes. Bear in mind, this was a means of generating some income as well as interest. The host got 30% of the proceeds, the artist 70%. There may be some agreement regarding fair use of the video. But I agree - it would be great for this to be made available for public viewing, even in edited form, or with glitches and goofs and all. Eva was remarkably entertaining and charming, humble and gracious, in addition to talented (as we all know), and the overall presentation was very enjoyable.

So if you look on YouTube there is a bunch of concert window performances, so my guess would be that they'll be bodcasting it fairly soon.

For example this... And it just so happens to have Mando on it.

Blog Entries

OK. Here's your video. In future, just put the string of 11 characters after the v= in the youtube code into the field in the pop-up window. Man, that's a mouthful!

Looking forward to my first encounter with Eva & SHEL tonight at the Triple Door in Seattle! Any other Cafe-denizens going to show up?
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Looking forward to my first encounter with Eva & SHEL tonight at the Triple Door in Seattle! Any other Cafe-denizens going to show up?
    that will be a great concert.
    a man posted this info on SHEL on the acousticguitarforum:

SHEL is four sisters who have been playing together since they were born (practically). Their father is one of my best friends. We used to play in a couple of bands together in College (before marriage and kids). These girls are 4 of the nicest kids I've ever met. They were in KC a couple years ago and we went out to breakfast with them. Eva and Sara pulled out their mandolin and violin and the girls did an impromptu concert in the restaurant for my daughter (12 at the time) who is a big fan of theirs. It was quite the treat. My daughter loved it. I've asked their dad how he managed to raise four such fine musicians and basically he told me they were pretty much self-motivated after he set them up with lessons. Not unlike most of us with our own kids. Either it takes or it doesn't.

Great concert. Eva played electric guitar on one song and Sarah fingerpicked a Taylor acoustic on another, but otherwise it was Weber Beartooth all the way. The arrangements are tight and creative; the vocals are spot on; Sarah is a terrific MC with commanding stage presence, and all four women play the snot out of their instruments. This band is really something else. Even impressed the wife. I did say hello to Eva ... she says she hasn't retired her Schwab but there's only so much one can carry when flying from gig to gig. Small but appreciative crowd; let's hope Seattle hasn't seen the last of SHEL. They'd be perfect for Wintergrass or Bumbershoot.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

21. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post: