Thread: Wide Nut Mandos.

Default Wide Nut Mandos.

So, I'm finding that I like to play mandolins with a slightly wider nut or actually a nut that is on the wider end of the spectrum. I played and old Givens the other day and although it was completely out of my price range it had a nut with a around 7/32 and felt great to play.That being said, I have a Loar 220 lm vs with a nut with that is slightly on the narrow side of the spectrum. Now I was wondering if anybody might be able to point me in the direction of a comprable mando with a wider nut around the same price range as the Loar? We'll say under $800.00, I know that'a about twice as much as The Loar but a fella has to have goals.

Default Re: Wide Nut Mandos.

Take a look at the Breedlove OF or the Crossover. The OF is a little above your price point but can be found used for less. The Crossover is below your price point. Both have a 1&3/16" nut. Good luck.

How about a pre-1922 Gibson A series? Close to your budget.

and I'll put in a word for a strad-o-lin -- mine has a wider nut and is about half the cost of what you've set aside. of course, you need one without issues and that might take some searching, but they have a lot more going for them than you'd expect from an instrument of their pedigree. Just sayin'
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Although I'm not a big fan of the look of Breedlove mandolins, they do have nice feeling wide necks and you should be able to find a used one in your price range.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Arakelian View Post
    Take a look at the Breedlove OF or the Crossover. The OF is a little above your price point but can be found used for less. The Crossover is below your price point. Both have a 1&3/16" nut. Good luck.
    I got a of premier& a crossover, the width is there ,, but way more shallow profile than the LM 290 , I have now.
    I had a big muddy w/ 1/4 nut it was nice. If it will give you the sound you like.

I'm pretty sure that most Czech built Lebeda mandolins have a wider nut .They're also slightly larger than standard.The nut width on my Lebedais 1-3/16" & i'm sure that my first Lebeda was the same. They're well worth checking out if you can find one,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mando.Photos 003.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	167.9 KB 
ID:	141791
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOne-N-OnlyHomer View Post
    Now I was wondering if anybody might be able to point me in the direction of a comprable mando with a wider nut around the same price range as the Loar? We'll say under $800.00, I know that'a about twice as much as The Loar but a fella has to have goals.
    The Kentucky 505 has a 1-3/16" nut and a radiused FB, and is well within your price range. IMO, the KM505 is considerably better sounding than any of the Loar models I have heard. I have never seen the newer KM550, but that may be worth checking out as well.
    Jeff Rohrbough
    "Listen louder, play softer"