Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weber Gallatin vs Eastman 504?

Default Weber Gallatin vs Eastman 504?

The only way to compare two mandolins is to play them, but that's not always possible. So I'm wondering what the general opinion might be about an A-style Weber Gallatin (Weber's entry level mandolin) compared to an Eastman 504, which is also an A-style but with an oval hole instead of f-holes (which the Gallatin under consideration has). Hence, the sound produced should be fairly comparable, based on geometry, and neither instrument has a fancy scroll, which should keep the construction costs comparable too.
    But the list price for the Weber is more than twice the list price than that of the Eastman. I know Eastmans get good reviews (here, as well as elsewhere), but is it unreasonable to think the typical Eastman 504 could compare favorably with a Weber Gallatin? I'm assuming both instruments have been properly set up. Thoughts are welcome.

Default Re: Weber Gallatin vs Eastman 504?

The most obvious difference accounting for the price differential is that the Weber Gallatin is made in the USA, while the Eastman is made in China. Labor in the USA is much more expensive of course. Additionally, you get features on the Eastman that would make the the Weber even more expensive. Glossy vs. satin, binding vs. no binding. So going purely by the specs and the price, the Eastman blows away the Gallatin. But are those the only consideration when purchasing an instrument?

You have fit and finish. Well, Webers are always impeccable there. Eastmans, I am not as familiar with. And there is sound. Sound is king. And I love the Weber sound. Bruce Jr. voices the plates himself and does a great job at producing a consistent Weber sound. Eastmans I have played have not been as consistent, but I played one once that just blew me away. Others left me cold. And a deal breaker for me is those tiny frets Eastman insists on using, even though most modern players, such as myself, prefer the bigger so called "banjo" frets.

When you buy a Weber you become part of a family and Weber really does stand behind their instruments. They really want you to be happy with your instrument. Don't know anything about how Eastman is in that department.

Hope this helps.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

3. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

gtani7 

First off the Eastman's neck joins the body at the 12th fret and the Gallatin at the 15th fret, it makes a difference in the tone. In my opinion, FWTW, the Weber has a much fuller tone, whereas the Eastmans' have all sounded a little bit on the tinny side to me.The Weber will have a much better fit and finish than the Eastman and they have fantastic customer service. You can order a Gallatin with a oval hole. The Weber is made in Bend, Oregon and the Eastman "?". I will admit I am partial to Webers', Bruce Sr., Mary, and Jr. are friends. I too have heard good reviews about Eastmans', for the money. I have played about 6 in total and none of them blew my socks off. Just saying.

Don beat me to it.

I've played a lot of great Webers, I've never played an Eastman I liked.

I once owned an Eastman 504. It played well and sounded good. I also owned a 604 and now have a Kentucky oval hole. Of all of those the 504 sounded best and had the worse fit and finish. I have played a few Weber Gallatins-both ff holes and oval holes. All were significantly better than the Eastmen in all regards; of course they are significantly more expensive too. I prefer the FF hole sound on the Weber to the oval hole but that is just me. Sort of depends on the style of music you want to play and how much $$$ you want to spend. If it were me I would go for the Weber. Another consideration is that the Eastman will have tiny frets, the Weber not so much. Good luck with your decision.
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

Blog Entries

They really are apples and oranges with ff holes vs an oval hole. What do you want the mandolin to be played for? What's your skill level (beginner, intermediate, or advanced)? What kind of mandolin do you currently play?

People often say the one built in the US is always much better. I heard this with regards to a Breedlove KF I had compared to an Eastman, I liked them both just fine. The Weber may in fact be better in terms of fit and finish (in fact I would expect it to be) than the Eastman but, if your ears like the voice on the Eastman, there it is.

End of the day, they are very different instruments and comparing them is harder than just an east meets west comparison.

My advice has always been buy the best sounding and playing mandolin you can afford. If you're interested in a brand, get one in hand at least to see how it feels and looks as a representative of the brand.

My final note, I wouldn't consider the entry level Eastman and the entry Weber in the same purchase decision. I might pair off a used Collings MT and the Weber or a Kentucky vs the Eastman.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

8. The following members say thank you to JEStanek for this post:

gtani7 

Is there a reason you're looking at the Eastman MD-504? I've played several of the MD-504 and I have also played the MD-505. I like the sound of the MD-505 far better. I have also played many Weber mandolins and they are great. 2x the money great? Not to me.
    That's why I own an Eastman MD-505.

No idea where you are in Alberta, but I just saw this:
    http://calgary.craigslist.ca/msg/5356237906.html
    NEW Kentucky KM-505 Mandolin - $625 (Hillhurst) - Canadian $ I'm guessing. That's like what, $450 US?
    I'd grab that and try it out. The KM-505 is a nice low priced mandolin, and that's even lower than normal.

Quote Originally Posted by RickPick View Post
    ...Eastman 504, which is also an A-style but with an oval hole instead of f-holes (which the Gallatin under consideration has). Hence, the sound produced should be fairly comparable, based on geometry...
    Don't see this. An f-hole instrument like the Gallatin will definitely sound different from an MD-504 with an oval soundhole. "Geometry" has not much to do with it.

...neither instrument has a fancy scroll, which should keep the construction costs comparable too.
    Well, insofar as you're not paying for scroll carving -- yes, but -- construction costs in Beijing China are not comparable to costs in Montana, as Don points out in Post #2.

Which is why your shirt is made in China, rather than the US (or Canada). You get level of hand-work in Asia that you can't get here at a comparable price.

...is it unreasonable to think the typical Eastman 504 could compare favorably with a Weber Gallatin? ...
    It's not ipso facto unreasonable. Each mandolin differs, more or less significantly, from every other mandolin; there is no "typical Eastman 504." Apparently you can't make a hands-on comparison between a Weber and an Eastman, and without that, it's pretty hard to infer which you'd like better.

Webers get almost unanimous praise here on the Cafe; Eastmans less so, though most agree they're an excellent value for the price. But you are paying twice as much for the Gallatin, give or take; will you find it twice as good? That we can't say.

Don't know what options there are in Alberta for mandolin comparison shopping; from what you say, not many. You've got a bunch of opinions here, by people who own or have played one or both. I have one Weber and four Eastmans, and I'm well-satisfied with all of them. But they're different, and I've never tried to "head-to-head" them since they're intended for different uses.

Clearly there are some design features that differ: shorter neck, smaller frets, oval hole on the Eastman. If you're planning to play bluegrass, generally an f-hole instrument's more suitable. I don't find the small Eastman frets a drawback; some do.

Don't want to guarantee "you can't go wrong" either way, but you're comparing two quality instruments. One may suit you better -- almost certainly would -- but hard to tell if you can't compare 'em directly.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

11. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

gtani7 

What part of Alberta are you in? I've got a mandolin store special edition gallatin and it is significantly better sounding and playing than any eastman I've played... but again, it does come at a greater price. I have played some of the f-hole eastmans that sounded OK for the money (the ones with a satin finish generally sounded better to me), but I don't think they are in the same league. I've never played an eastman oval hole that I liked. They've all sounded a bit thin and dull.

As mentioned previously, the style of music you're playing may sway your decision.

I've owned an Eastman 505 and a Weber Gallatin. Ultimately it depends on how much money is a factor for you, but I'd take the Weber all day every day. That's not to say that the Eastman wasn't a perfectly nice and serviceable mandolin, it was. But when compared with the Weber, I don't miss the Eastman...

First piece of advice I would give, and others have hinted at this, when dealing with carved top/carved back mandolins, the geometry of the sound hole(s) has more to do with the tone than the geometry of the body. Of course flat top mandolins and bowlbacks have their own tone, but that is another subject that is irrelevant to your question.

Second, to address your question directly, I can almost assure you that the Weber will receive more favorable reviews. You will hear a lot of posters saying that the Eastman "sounds good for the money," but the Weber is almost assuredly a better sounding mandolin.

Third, Eastman mandolins can be wildly inconsistent. Some of the best Eastmans are the least expensive models. I have heard various reasons why, but nothing definitive. Webers are very consistent. If you are buying blind, I would go with the Weber as you will almost certainly get a fine quality mandolin.
    Northfield Artist Series F5 (2 bar, Adirondack)

I played a 504 and a gallatin just this morning, in a local store. The 504 had a black top, sounded quite nice. Then played an F5 style gallatin, which blew the 504 away, in terms of volume, projection and tone. Not a totally fair comparison as the 504 is an A4 style and the gallatin was an F5 style, but the Gallatin just had MORE in every department - fit, finish, comfort, volume and tone. Then I played a Bitterroot F5 which was even better than the Gallatin!

When I was in the market for an oval hole, I almost bought a used Eastman that sounded nice. But I ended up getting the Weber, which sounds louder, fuller, and richer. No regrets. I don't mind the fact that it is cosmetically much more...subtle.
    One thing that has not been mentioned is that the Weber has a slightly longer scale, which also affects tone.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to avaldes For This Useful Post:

If you've narrowed your choices down to the Weber and the Eastman and are not considering any other brands, the money difference aside, IMO you'll be a lot happier with the Weber for a far longer period of time than you will the Eastman. Just my $.02.

19. The following members say thank you to Mike Arakelian for this post:

Dave Sheets

Another 2 cents here...think seriously about buying a used mando, something like the Weber, or a Flatiron. They are a bit less than a new Weber, and someone else has taken the depreciation on it for the minor marks and dings instruments earn as you play them. Folks are often selling Weber Gallatins here as they move up to the next grade of instrument. Take care of a good used instrument and you can get most of your money back out of it. I prefer playing instruments with some honest wear to absolutely clean new ones, but not everyone feels this way.
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

Chiming in with Dave above... I hate to recommend taking a new sale away from Weber and one of their retailers, but buying a used Weber can be a great way to get a fine mandolin at lower cost. Or maybe a step up in trim level, if that's important to you.

I was fortunate to find a used Weber Yellowstone F octave mandolin for sale used, and snapped it up as soon as I saw it. It's a wonderful instrument. It may take a while to find exactly what you're looking for, but the consistent build quality and tone of a Weber means it's a pretty safe bet as a used purchase.

Thanks for all the good advice and helpful information. The more I learn about mandolins, the better, and this site is a wonderful place to help with what I haven't yet learned -- and some things I'd thought I HAD learned! So here's the "back story." I bought a second-hand Eastman 504 a couple of years ago as my first mandolin. I was primarily wanting to play Celtic music, and I was very happy with the choice made (probably had some help from this site....). I've since bought an F-style Loar that I use for bluegrass, as it has a better chop. But in playing the Loar, I've learned that I like a wider fingerboard at the nut, so I've been keeping an eye out for what might be a good replacement for the 504. I still like Celtic and other non-bluegrass styles. There is a second-hand Weber Gallatin for sale (with a 1 1/8" nut), but not in town, and before I spent a lot of effort trying to get to where the instrument is currently living, I thought it prudent to ask you folks for your opinion. My first instinct was to eagerly look into the Weber, but then I learned that the Gallatin is their entry level, which made me ask for a better understanding of how the two instruments compare. I asked, and you delivered. Thanks so much.
    Does anyone know if there was a quality change when Weber moved from Montana to Oregon? And when they made that move? Thanks again. (Looks like I need to pack up for a bit of a road trip)

Rick,
    They moved to Bend a couple of years ago. There has been no change in the quality or tone as far as I can tell. Bruce Jr. does the final carving on the Gallatin models and others, Bruce Sr. carves the tops and backs for the Ferns (he still lives in the Logan facility). I was lucky enough to live about 60 miles from the Logan facility and was able to pick out the woods for my Yellowstone. A big thanks to Bruce Sr. for helping me choose wisely. How old is the Gallatin you are looking at? The older ones had mahogany backs and sides, which gives a warm tone. The newer ones are maple.

Great thread

I have an Eastman A-Style MD 505 and previously owned a Weber F-Style Bitterroot. Both are very good mandolins at their respective price points. I think my Eastman is excellent value for a ~ $600 mandolin. My used Weber was around three times the cost and I think had significantly better quality and tone.

Love my Weber Gallatin, its an F-style "if you wanna have soul, you gotta have scroll" I think thats a DataNick quote...

Nonetheless, I would consider the Weber over the Eastman for all the reasons mentioned above.

Sounds like you just need a push out the door to go look at that Weber...you wont be disappointed, an afternoon in search of a new mandolin could never be wasted. Have fun and let us know what you thought!!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around and play mandolin.”

Have owned both Webers and Eastman. I would take the Weber all day
    Weber Bitteroot Custom
    Eastman 905D 2 point
    Scott Cao 850
    Taylor NS34CE
    "You have to go out on a limb, that is where the fruit is"

Weber, no contest.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-string-instru...lin/1113218755

If this is still for sale, it's a great deal.. especially for American buyers, if the seller will ship. It would be less than $750 US with the current exchange rate.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RickPick View Post
    general opinion might be about an A-style Weber Gallatin (Weber's entry level mandolin) compared to an Eastman 504, which is also an A-style but with an oval hole instead of f-holes (which the Gallatin under consideration has). Hence, the sound produced should be fairly comparable, based on geometry, and neither instrument has a fancy scroll, which should keep the construction costs comparable too..
    Too many variables.

The two will sound different for two or three reasons - because one is an oval hole and the other is ff hole - and because one is and Eastman and one is a Weber, and likely the difference in how the two second hand instruments have fared the last several years. Have they been comparably taken care of, set up, stored properly.

Makes it difficult to answer. Very difficult to answer.

As has been stated, Weber's are consistently excellently built instruments, by any measure - aesthetic, build quality, etc. Not that Eastman isn't, mind you, but they don't have the reputation for consistency that Weber does.

I see by post #17 you are looking for this acquisition for Celtic and non-bluegrass styles. I would suggest that there are other affordable mandolins you might consider that would take you closer to the Celtic and, no surprise, farther from the bluegrass. The two you are comparing are both arch tops, and an arch top gives a more bluegrassy sound to my ear. Its not a exclusive thing, anything can be played effectively on anything - but its worth looking to flat tops if you are looking for non-bluegrass styles. Fylde is a brand that comes to mind as particularly nice for traditional Irish and Scottish music, but there are many many others.

I also see by post #17 you are lusting after a specific instrument. So this is not a theoretical question.

I am not recommending anything in particular except to perhaps widen your view and research more, rather than zoom in on this particular mandolin versus that particular mandolin, especially in light of your interest in things other than bluegrass.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....