Thread: Coleson Mandolins

Fetches news & information NewsFetcher's Avatar

Default Coleson Mandolins

A new entry has been added to the Mandolin Cafe Builder Database:

Coleson Mandolins

Record added or last edited December, 2015. Acoustic mandolins, guitars and fiddle.

Builder's database record

Subscribe to our builder news feed using this link.
    Posts belonging to this account are created by a software task, not a human. Don't understand what that means? This information will explain how this post got here.

Default Re: Coleson Mandolins

Mr. David Coleson is an excellent luthier in Alaska. I have his ‘Duke-White Knight’ custom F mandolin…crafted from materials native to Alaska, i.e. Sitka spruce, Alaskan birch, mamoth bone, etc. This is a beautifully crafted instrument with a rich, bright tone.

Interesting that this builder was added to the database in 2015 but doesn’t appear to be in it anymore. I wonder if he is still building. His web site is still up here: https://www.dukecolesonmandolins.com/
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

What happens is their web sites will go off-line and they're offline for months, even years, before the issue is rectified. We have link checking software that looks at all this and notifies us, and we are patient but after there's no evidence they're in business for extended periods of time the record is removed. Attempting to track all of the mandolin builders on the planet is worse than herding cats. It's an impossible task, but doesn't stop us from trying. I'll add him back. I've seen people disappear for over ten years and then suddenly reappear online. And should go without saying, because there's a web site for someone doesn't mean they're still actively building or even alive. I've seen web sites for people that are deceased continue to run for years.

Also, that link URL is invalid and won't work with any active builder. Appears I changed the rules of the programming at some point. He's now here.

Thanks, Scott.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by norseman.strings View Post
    Mr. David Coleson is an excellent luthier in Alaska. I have his ‘Duke-White Knight’ custom F mandolin…crafted from materials native to Alaska, i.e. Sitka spruce, Alaskan birch, mamoth bone, etc. This is a beautifully crafted instrument with a rich, bright tone.
    Is that yours the all blond wood mandolin pictured on his web site?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Post Re: Coleson Mandolins

This is my Coleson ‘Duke’.

Can’t get the pic of my Coleson to upload