Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Loar-signed mandolin banjo?

Default Loar-signed mandolin banjo?

Seller is claiming that this mando-banjo has Lloyd's signature on the underside of the head!

A photo would be nice. For $2,999 you'd think the seller could manage to document this particular claim.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Gibs...AAAOSw~otWcd4A
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Blog Entries

Default Re: Loar-signed mandolin banjo?

It would be a legitimate question to ask the seller I would think. I am not an ebay member myself so I can't ask. (I do ebay through a proxy, a friend of mine).
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

So interesting. Also, FON 8699-22 - does that mean it was an Factory Order # 8699 and instrument #22 of that production batch? If 8699 is chronological for MB's and other "banjo" instruments, wouldn't that date it to '26 or even '27, right after Loar left Gibson?

I'd still love to see the label.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Here's an eBay listing for a pretty TB-3 with a FON of only 8719, only 20 #'s away and it appears to be a '27.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1927-Vintage...25.m3641.l6368

Did Loar sign anything in 1926?

I've asked the seller for an image and await reply.

Quote Originally Posted by jtsc View Post
    Did Loar sign anything in 1926?
    Possibly his rent check. He was gone from Gibson (according to F5Loar) right after the office Christmas party in 1924.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Curiouser and curiouser!
    I never fail at anything, I just succeed at doing things that never work....

Fylde Touchstone Walnut Mandolin.
    Gibson Alrite Model D.

8. The following members say thank you to G7MOF for this post:

Seller replied to my inquiry that he is unable photo the signature until he takes the instrument apart and he may take it off eBay for a while until he can do that. He said he saw the signature last when it was cleaned before he posted. Seems absurd that he never thought about taking a pic of the signature. Hey, the whole listing seems absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by jtsc View Post
    Seller replied to my inquiry that he is unable photo the signature until he takes the instrument apart and he may take it off eBay for a while until he can do that. He said he saw the signature last when it was cleaned before he posted. Seems absurd that he never thought about taking a pic of the signature. Hey, the whole listing seems absurd.
    To my knowledge you only have to remove four screws that hold the resonator in place?
    Thanks for your support?

Four thumb screws. That is correct.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Learned sirs/madams, you seem to not be seeing the elephant in the room. It's a banjolin. It doesn't matter who's signed it, it will still sound like shinola, or that other stuff. Unless it can be demonstrated that Lloyd Loar's sonic design wizardry could somehow have had an extraordinary effect on this item's design and resultant sound production, of course. Yes, as a collectible it might generate some interest, of course. But as an instrument, worth playing and hearing and paying ten times the going rate for similar instruments - not so much. In my humble opinion, of course.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to journeybear For This Useful Post:

Actually, if it had a signed Lloyd Loar label in it it would rewrite history of sorts even if it did sound like shinola. If it has Lloyd's signature on the bottom of the head it is somewhat interesting but no much more. I'm going to guess that it has Jos. Rogers signature on the bottom of the head.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Blog Entries

Oh, for sure. I'm just shaking my head at the thought that a master luthier would have had anything to do with this sort of a contraption. Such a consideration doesn't seem to have perturbed the seller.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Oh, for sure. I'm just shaking my head at the thought that a master luthier would have had anything to do with this sort of a contraption.
    A man who played an electric viola and a musical saw would have had no qualms about going near a mandolin-banjo, methinks...
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

17. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Possibly his rent check. He was gone from Gibson (according to F5Loar) right after the office Christmas party in 1924.
    Could he have signed it "at" the Christmas party? It does have '25 style tuners but these were used in '24.

If it was an instrument he personally owned he might have put his signature on it.

Phil

What's the differences between a mandolin banjo,a banjo mandolin, and a banjolin?

I will bet that the signature is Rogers who signed many skin heads, not LL.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    A man who played an electric viola and a musical saw would have had no qualms about going near a mandolin-banjo, methinks...
    What he did on his own time was probably different from what he did on the company's time. I understand he was quite accomplished on the saw, not a mean feat. I usually lump the "instrument" in with other objects of derogation in those kinds of jokes - the others being bagpipes, accordion, bassoon, b*njo, one or two more - even though I have heard some amazing music come from what masters have been able to wring from them. His ventures into electrics ... Well, that may be ascribed to his proclivity for innovation. He'd already conquered acoustic instruments, after all .

Quote Originally Posted by T.D.Nydn View Post
    What's the differences between a mandolin banjo,a banjo mandolin, and a banjolin?
    None, really. Price, maybe.

23. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Hi T.D.Nydn-

Mandolin Banjo (MB) is the term used most frequently here on the Cafe and also in Gibson historical catalog i.d.s for the instrument pictured in the ebay offering- 4 pairs of strings in mandolin tuning, banjo head, neck joining the head at 12th or 10th fret.

Banjo Mandolin is used by some folks interchangeably w/Mandolin Banjo, despite Gibson history and custom here. Some manufacturers have used this and other different terms to describe their instruments in this category. Vega and Orpheum also made frequently seen instruments in this category.

"Banjolin" usually describes the MB configuration w/4 single, rather than paired strings, in mandolin tuning.

It is possible that journeybear was using this term ("banjolin") loosely because of the well-known difficulties in setting up MB instruments with both ease of playing, and good tone w/reasonable (as opposed to too loud or too soft) volume. This sometimes leads MB owners to go to a 4 single string configuration to be able to handle both melody & chord playing. It is easier to set up the 8 string (4 pair) version for melody work, rather than chord work. Persistent application can yield an instrument that does both effectively. Vol Stevens w/the Memphis Jug Band in the late '20s and early '30s comes to mind on this, and it's likely that there are a number of Cafe members who have managed MB w/4 pairs of strings set-ups to handle both melody and chord work.

25. The following members say thank you to Bob Bass for this post:

Blog Entries

Actually, I was using "banjolin" for convenience's sake. I view the term as interchangeable with mandolin-banjo, it just has fewer syllables and letters. Heck, "mandolin" has too many syllables and letters, but I'm stuck with it. I've always gone with double strings, BTW. It would sound too banjo-like otherwise. Or so I'd think. I've never even considered going with single strings on one. The only single-string mandolin family instruments I own are electrics. BTW & FWIW.

I'd think if he was actually going to sign a banjo-lin (for historical purposes) he'd have signed it on a more permanent surface. The skin head is usually the first thing to go.

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Oh, for sure. I'm just shaking my head at the thought that a master luthier would have had anything to do with this sort of a contraption. Such a consideration doesn't seem to have perturbed the seller.
    From the Siminoff website:

Lloyd’s work on banjos was equally astute. Loar developed a new banjo design with a hollow tubular tone chamber supported by spring-loaded ball bearings. This instrument was the foundation of the heralded Gibson Mastertone banjo line and the many pot-assembly hardware derivations that were to follow.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

29. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by WW52 View Post
    I'd think if he was actually going to sign a banjo-lin (for historical purposes) he'd have signed it on a more permanent surface. The skin head is usually the first thing to go.
    I suggested it was on the skin, it might be on a label on the rim.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Blog Entries

I bet the signature is that of 'J. B. Rogers Jr', the company that supplied many manufacturers with premade banjo and drum heads. Usually this is rather faint and thus could be deciphered as belonging to just about anybody, especially in hazy hindsight. So I second Jim Garber's response, above.