Thread: electric mandolin with octave pedal

Default electric mandolin with octave pedal

Hi

has anyone ever tried an electric 4/5 string mandolin with an octave pedal to get an Octave mandolin/mandocello sound range? How good was the sound?

hH

Default Re: electric mandolin with octave pedal

Yes, i've tried many combinations of octave/pitchshifting over the years, both with my electric mandolins and mandolas. Some worked well for single note bass lines, but not many work well if you want to play chords. I've had some success with the Electro Harmonix Slammi and Pitchfork; either of these work fairly well on chords. I sometimes use the Pitchfork to tune my mandolins down an octave and my mandolas down a 4th to octave mandolin tuning. I have also used the Pitchfork at the 2 octaves down setting, to get a low C on my mandola, which is one semitone above the low B string on a 5 string bass. Poly-pitch shifting has got so much better and cleaner over the last few years, but sometimes you can still hear little glitches and other pitch shifting artefacts.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandelect For This Useful Post:

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I have used a octave pedal and a pitchshift also and the same for me it works good for single notes but not well for chords
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

5. The following members say thank you to darrylicshon for this post:

The Electro-Harmonix POG is supposed to be able to shift entire chords as well as single notes - I haven't tried one out yet. Anyone else give one a spin?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...FU8vgQodI0wDsg

The POG, Micro POG and HOG are indeed polyphonic and designed to sound very clean. I have the raunchier MXR Bass Octave Deluxe which works fine for single notes on bass and guitar, but my Mandobird does not trigger it very well. Normally you want the octave pedal first in the chain, but in this case I think I need to try a clean boost in front, the 'bird is somewhat low output.
    Blow on, man.

8. The following members say thank you to spufman for this post:

Sorry about the double post...
    Last edited by mandelect; Dec-21-2015 at 1:58pm. Reason: duplicate post

Quote Originally Posted by spufman View Post
    The POG, Micro POG and HOG are indeed polyphonic and designed to sound very clean.
    As are the Pitchfork and Slammi. Bill Ruppert demonstrates their polyphonic pitch shifting capabilities particularly well, and as I said, I use them both to tune my electric mandola down a 4th to octave mandolin GDAE tuning. Chords sound great though I can make them glitch a tiny bit if I try hard enough ;-)

I have tried the Pog too, and there is little if any difference in their polyphonic pitch shifting quality. If anything, the Pitchfork and Slammi (and the Hog too) have an advantage in that they are not limited to octave, two octave pitch shifts. Watch the Bill Ruppert demo vids where in one segment, he uses them full wet to shift his guitar into baritone tuning.

11. The following members say thank you to mandelect for this post:

Thank you all for your replies.
    Has anyone ever posted a video demonstrating one of the pedals with a mandolin?

Here is one of a mandolin using an octave pedal:

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Django Fret For This Useful Post:

In a bit of a rush, but I wanted to chime in. I have done this before. I have the Boss octave pedal - I don't recall the model number. It's a brown color.

I use it with a Mann 4 string electric. I am looking forward to trying it with my new 5 string when that arrives.

It has difficulty with tracking multiple strings and sounds a little digital. However, I do like the tone - though sometimes you have to be careful to mute some strings. If they vibrate a bit too much they interfere with the tracking.

I used it with a band I play with and we had a lot of fun. At the time we didn't have anyone to play bass.

Hope this helps.

-Peter

The Boss OC-2 is a mono pedal. I suspect this is what you have.

The Boss OC-3, in addition to having the Boss Oc-2's monophonic mode, also has a polyphonic mode, and even allows choosing the point above which the octave isn't produced. It's meant for a guitarist to have bass notes corresponding to the lowest two strings and such, but it would work on mando as well.
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!