Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1923 F-5 Loar #71839

Default 1923 F-5 Loar #71839

My father, Ely Karasik owned this mandolin for 75 years. He was born in 1924, and his F-5 was made in 1923. Here are some pictures of him and his instrument. The video is him at age 90 playing a song written about him called the Bronx Mandolin.

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=332E0E...2E0EC0B1B94B3B

Default Re: 1923 F-5 Loar #71839

I don't see anything.

Nothing for me either.

Thanks for the effort and I would LOVE to see the pics/video. Unfortunately, whatever your link is linking to, is not working for me.

Edit: And I just noticed that was your first post...Welcome! (At this point, I'm hoping you're just another of the many fine contributors here. If that was a prankster's trick, to infect my computer with some malicious virus, it's already too late! I just can't resist clicking on a '23 F5 Loar link.)

You might try uploading the video to Youtube, it appears it is going to your onedrive account.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

There is a 1923 F-style Gibson with that serial number in the Mandolin Archive.

Also, Ely Karasik is mentioned in a few places on the Cafe's fora.
    Bill Snyder

Keith
    I met your father at a CMSA meeting here in Louisville about 12 years ago. He had a small table showing some of his compositions. He was a real gentleman, and a gentle man. I talked with him for quite a while, and played his Loar, and he played mine. They were set up very differently, and he noted the remarkable difference in the sound quality and volume of the two instruments. We both agreed that, although their greatest use today is in Bluegrass, they were designed for classical work. I hope you will take up the mandolin cause, if you have not already.

- - - Updated - - -

Keith
    I met your father at a CMSA meeting here in Louisville about 12 years ago. He had a small table showing some of his compositions. He was a real gentleman, and a gentle man. I talked with him for quite a while, and played his Loar, and he played mine. They were set up very differently, and he noted the remarkable difference in the sound quality and volume of the two instruments. We both agreed that, although their greatest use today is in Bluegrass, they were designed for classical work. I hope you will take up the mandolin cause, if you have not already.

would love to see a current picture.. Thanks for posting..;

Sorry, folks. Maybe this link will work.
    If not, I'll download them separately.
    BTW, no, it's not going to infect your computer...

https://onedrive.live.com/redir.aspx...Share&ref=name

Yep, same one.

Deleted. Inadvertent double post.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Karasik View Post
    Sorry, folks. Maybe this link will work.
    If not, I'll download them separately.
    BTW, no, it's not going to infect your computer...
    Thanks for trying. Still not working for me.

(And I was (mostly) just kidding about the infection. I'm a little skittish since I clicked on a bad one last year. Not on this site though. )

Looking forward to seeing your Dad's mandolin.

Hello Keith,

If you have all the images within a single folder on onedrive.com, you need to move it into a "shared" or "public" area of your onedrive account, and then generate a URL for others to see it...

The problem is that you're linking to a spot on a drive that you have to logon to with your account. Look at uploading the video to Youtube. Then anyone could see it.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by J.Albert View Post
    Hello Keith,

If you have all the images within a single folder on onedrive.com, you need to move it into a "shared" or "public" area of your onedrive account, and then generate a URL for others to see it...
    Thank you all for being patient with me as I am new to this site and new to posting things of this sort. I will try your suggestions and get thes files up somehow.

[QUOTE=Keith Karasik;1458805]My father, Ely Karasik owned this mandolin for 75 years. He was born in 1924, and his F-5 was made in 1923. Here are some pictures of him and his instrument. The video is him at age 90 playing a song written about him called the Bronx Mandolin.

OK, folks, after consulting with my wife, Adrienne on the matter, I will now attempt to provide you with the YouTube link:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8jC...ature=youtu.be

pleaseworkpleaseworkpleasework...

16. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Keith Karasik For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Brentrup Evangelist Larry S Sherman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Embedded

18. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Larry S Sherman For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

I wasn't aware that Ely had passed away. He was a big deal in classical mandolin in the USA.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Thank you so much. What a wonderful piece of historic documentation that video provides. We are all very sorry to hear about the loss of your father.

Thanks Keith for posting.

How cool! Thanks for sharing, I am always fascinated by this kind of performance.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

I am sorry for your loss. I had heard of your dad but never met him. I played with the NY Mandolin Orchestra for a number of years in the 1980s but I think he was there many years before. Thanks for posting the video.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I got to know Ely Karasik over several CMSA conventions beginning in 2001 in Bozeman, MT. Shared a few meals with him, along with some enjoyable conversations. Ely was not only a dedicated mandolinist and mandolin orchestra player, but also had a playful side, with tongue planted firmly in cheek. He would name his compositions with playful names such as "Mozzarella Bella", "Peerless Gynt", & etc. There was also a thread remembering Ely in the classical section of this forum, shortly after his passing.

That was neat to listen too... Thanks..

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cohen View Post
    I got to know Ely Karasik over several CMSA conventions beginning in 2001 in Bozeman, MT. Shared a few meals with him, along with some enjoyable conversations. Ely was not only a dedicated mandolinist and mandolin orchestra player, but also had a playful side, with tongue planted firmly in cheek. He would name his compositions with playful names such as "Mozzarella Bella", "Peerless Gynt", & etc. There was also a thread remembering Ely in the classical section of this forum, shortly after his passing.
    Thanks for your comments. Yeah, his sense of humor was unique. One of his earliest compositions was entitled, "The Divorce of Figaro" which he performed in the late 1970s.

So Keith, have you taken to the mandolin as your father did or has the infection not spread?
    Do you have any other video of your father playing? Even if you don't the one you have shared is very very cool!
    My father played quite a few instruments but, I have no recordings or even photographs of him being musical, most of what I have are him cooking!
    I love hearing this kind of story, how did he end up owning this mandolin?
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett