Thread: Late 70s Epiphone MM-70 or new Eastman MD315?

Default Late 70s Epiphone MM-70 or new Eastman MD315?

The Epi is very clean with ohsc. $600 obo. The Eastman $699 (seems to be the going rate on these). I'm entry level. Have a nice little old Vega A. Wouldn't mind picking up an entry level F. Played the Eastman. It played well and sounded pretty good to my inexperienced ears. The Epi is a road trip away. The photos I've seen show a beautiful mandolin. Opinions welcomed..

Default Re: Late 70s Epiphone MM-70 or new Eastman MD315?

If you are right about the late 70s the Epiphone was probably made in Japan. The MM 70 was their top of the line at the time, with hand carved solid woods and fancy inlays. I've seen them sold for more like the 450-500 dollar range so I would make a lower offer. As a reason for the lower offer you could say that you need to take it to a luthier for a set up, and that would be the truth. You should have a luthier who is experienced with mandolins go over it and set it up. I have read that these benefit greatly from a bridge replacement. Something high quality like a Cumberland Acoustic. If you are willing to do all of that it may be the better choice. If not, then buying the Eastman from a shop that includes set up would be a better choice since it would come to you ready to go. But the Easman is also a very plain low key looking mandolin. The Epiphone probably has lots of binding, inlay, and general bling. How important is appearance to you? Epiphone would get the nod on that.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

I'd go with the Eastman personally.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

4. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

I'd go with this Eastman MD-315 for $500:
    https://reverb.com/item/1324795-2015...mo-model-31361
    Ask them how much to upgrade to a hard case or travelite or gator case. If it is more than $75, buy your own case:

http://smile.amazon.com/Gator-GL-MAN.../dp/B000GSY91M
    http://smile.amazon.com/Travelite-TL.../dp/B000UGBIFU
    http://smile.amazon.com/Guardian-CG-.../dp/B0018TFCRS

I'd second what Mike says. Mandolins of that class (the Epiphone) were fine in the 70s - I still have my old Ibanez from 1976 - but things have moved on and a modern Pac-rim of any quality is likely to be better than something from 35+ years ago.

Future Mandolinist

I would also go with the MD315, or if you're not hung up on the scroll get the 305 and have enough left over for a nice Travelite case.

Having not played many F style mandolins the MD315 felt very good in my hands. Had enough punch and sweetness if you will. Yes Multidon the epi was way blinged out. Not important to me at all. I don't mind the rather bland satin finish of the Eastman either. Fits me so to speak. My little home town shop includes a bag (not sure of the quality) and set-up to my liking with that purchase price. Thanks for the opinions and sharing knowledge. The folks here walked me through the purchase of a 1918 Vega and I couldn't be happier with the outcome.

thanks to colorado_al for the links!

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    If you are right about the late 70s the Epiphone was probably made in Japan....
    I believe Epiphone production went to Korea in the early 70's.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    If it did wasn't it one of the first. I thought the move to Korea was later than that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    If it did wasn't it one of the first. I thought the move to Korea was later than that.

My understanding is that Epiphone guitar production moved to Korea in 1974 but mandolins not until 1983. Not uncontested fact, just something I read on the Internet. So if it's on the Internet it has to be true, right?
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

If the Eastman's at your "little home town shop," that gets my vote for the Eastman. We need to encourage our local instrument dealers to stock and sell mandolins. And a good relationship with a local dealer can be a major plus, in terms of future purchases that involve trade-ins, getting repairs and adjustments done by familiar hands, "good customer" deals on strings, picks, straps, whatever.

Count your blessings at having someone in your locality, stocking decent mandolins. Lots of Cafe members don't have hands-on access, and have to do everything through the internet, or make major road trips to regional dealers.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

14. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    If the Eastman's at your "little home town shop," that gets my vote for the Eastman. We need to encourage our local instrument dealers to stock and sell mandolins. And a good relationship with a local dealer can be a major plus, in terms of future purchases that involve trade-ins, getting repairs and adjustments done by familiar hands, "good customer" deals on strings, picks, straps, whatever.

Count your blessings at having someone in your locality, stocking decent mandolins. Lots of Cafe members don't have hands-on access, and have to do everything through the internet, or make major road trips to regional dealers.
    Wholeheartedly agree Allen. All for supporting the small brick and mortar shops that struggle to stay in existence. It has already paid dividends with this particular shop. Emergency pre-gig/session bass set ups/repairs. He doesn't stock real high end stuff but he can get it for you. A few Eastmans, M. Monroe's and Sea Gulls (sp?) and a nice Breedlove.

16. The following members say thank you to Markob for this post:

FWIW. As to the origin of the Epi MM-70, one of the pics from the CL ad shows the blue Epiphone Kalamazoo Michigan/Made in Japan label in the F-hole. I know as far as Epi guitars go, '69 was the last year for USA production and were produced in Japan through the mid 70's. Here's a link to the ad. Notice the oxidation on the pickguard's hardware...Green funk
    http://goldcountry.craigslist.org/msg/5334525008.html

I bought an Eastman 315 on clearance at a local Guitar Center owned shop (whom I normally wouldn't think of buying an instrument from), for all of the reasons Allen outlined above. While playing it in the store I had at least 3 people (who were not employees) complement the instrument/tone and tell me to buy it, and I don't consider myself that good. It doesn't have the complexity of tone as my Silverangel "econo" A style, but it's a good mandolin, fit/finish is very good considering the price, and I don't mind taking it to the lake if I want. The bag it comes with isn't terribly substantial. I put the Eastman in a Gator case and moved my former "beater" over to the bag for storage.

I like older instruments, but they can require some TLC to make as playable as an unprofessionally set up Eastman or Kentucky, IMO. There's a lot of bang for your buck in the Eastman, and, if you're helping out a local shop, all the better. Good luck!
    Chuck

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CES For This Useful Post: