Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missing signature when posting to the mobile site

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Default Missing signature when posting to the mobile site

When I post to the mobile site, it seems like my signature is missing. Am I imagining that?

Default Re: Missing signature when posting to the mobile site

Unless things have changed recently, Scott told me there was no mobile site, or it had been abandoned some time ago. However, I did notice recently that when I click on email links to this site with my phone I do get sent to the old mobile site which looks like the screenshot below. Then I have to log in each time. This is a new development.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	213 
Size:	227.5 KB 
ID:	142376
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

It was my understanding the the mobile app was abandoned.

The "mobile site" I see on my phone looks like your screenshot.

I also have to frequently log in when using my phone but that is a seemingly different issue.

The first post to this thread was performed with my phone after clicking the full site link at the bottom of the site

This and the previous post were also done on my phone when using the "mobile site".

Now, I have clicked the full site link.

I see the full site layout and a checkbox labelled "show your signature" below this textbox.

- - - Updated - - -

Voila, the full site posts show my signature. Mobile site posts do not.

The odd thing is that I had this same problem some months ago but then it seemed to resolve and I would get to the full site and not have to log on each time. All of a sudden I only get the mobile site when linked from my emails. Maybe there is some redirect from the mobile site. I don't know if Scott and crew are planning to develop a real mobile site or not but maybe it would be good to disable this old one for the time being?

You may be correct that the logon problem might be a separate issue.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

The mobile site/layout is a lot easier to read on my phone. Viewing the full site on my phone requires lots of zooming and scrolling.

Blog Entries

We no longer support Forum Runner software. I never said we don't have a mobile version. We've always had a mobile version. Just like the full desk-top version if you click the "Remember Me" upon logging in on the mobile version you'll stay logged in. At the very bottom of both the full desk-top version and the mobile version there are links to switch between the two versions. Signatures are not part of the mobile version and this is fairly normal operation for any site. Few mobile versions of software have every single feature of the desk-top version. Yelp, amazon and eBay don't do it, neither do we.

Jim, you posted a version of the mobile above, not logged in. There is not under development or new development. Its been like this for many years now.

Scott, when I switch to the full site layout, I do not see a link to switch back to the mobile site.

Also, the remember me button does not keep me logged in like it does on my laptop. This is a different issue. Should I start a new thread.

Thanks for answering the mobile site signature question.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWilliam View Post
    Scott, when I switch to the full site layout, I do not see a link to switch back to the mobile site.
    The link to the mobile version from the desk-top is at the very bottom, left side, pull-down menu. See attached screen shot with pull-down menu circled in red. Select Default Mobile Style.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5699.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	190.5 KB 
ID:	142379

As far as not staying logged in that'd be an issue on your phone. If you're on an iPhone I'd suggest going into Settings > Safari > Block Cookies > then make sure Allow from Websites I Visit. If it's set to Always Block then your phone will do that. The only reason for not staying logged in is because the phone is either blocking the cookie or not storing it. If you're on some other device I don't have access to those settings.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scott Tichenor For This Useful Post:

Ah! Thanks for the clue to the drop down!

- - - Updated - - -

My phone is set to block cookies from third parties and advertisers.

Blog Entries

Ah! Thanks for the clue to the drop down!

- - - Updated - - -

My phone is set to block cookies from third parties and advertisers.
    Cookies are misunderstood. They do more than just spy on us .

They'll keep you logged in if you check the Remember Me and allow them on your phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Tichenor View Post
    We no longer support Forum Runner software. I never said we don't have a mobile version. We've always had a mobile version. Just like the full desk-top version if you click the "Remember Me" upon logging in on the mobile version you'll stay logged in. At the very bottom of both the full desk-top version and the mobile version there are links to switch between the two versions. Signatures are not part of the mobile version and this is fairly normal operation for any site. Few mobile versions of software have every single feature of the desk-top version. Yelp, amazon and eBay don't do it, neither do we.

Jim, you posted a version of the mobile above, not logged in. There is not under development or new development. Its been like this for many years now.
    OK. Pardon my ignorance, but what is Forum Runner software and what, if anything, does it have to do with the mobile version?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Tichenor View Post
    As far as not staying logged in that'd be an issue on your phone. If you're on an iPhone I'd suggest going into Settings > Safari > Block Cookies > then make sure Allow from Websites I Visit. If it's set to Always Block then your phone will do that. The only reason for not staying logged in is because the phone is either blocking the cookie or not storing it. If you're on some other device I don't have access to those settings.
    I actually had it set to allow all sites but changed it to Allow from Websites I Visit. I just checked and logged into the mobile version with remember button checked and then went back to my emails and opened the site twice and each time it opened to the mobile version and I had to log in again.

The strange thing is that until recently the links in the emails for subscribed threads opened into the full site and retained the log in. I don't have any real problem with the mobile site as long as it works.
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Jan-04-2016 at 12:12pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Blog Entries

OK, think I'm seeing the problem. There seems to be confusion between two separate items here and what they are being called.

There was a Mandolin Cafe "app" accessible through the iTunes Store that was developed by a former member and which has not been maintained for several years. I don't even have it installed--I don't recommend anyone does, but quite a few people like some of the other features so we've left it as is. It does link to news feeds on the forum. I believe this is the confusion over saying something has been deleted, but it has little or nothing to do with the Forum really. Nothing was deleted, we just don't recommend the app's use. The app is not the mobile Forum style. They're unrelated.

The Forum has a mobile "style" so when you access the Forum you see only features meant for the Forum over an iPhone or similar device. This has been in place for years, but I can't vouch for iPhone or other mobile device issues. I have occasional issues with my own phone but they usually resolve. There are no new developments or changes to the software for several years now. We have thousand of people using it and it does work and does maintain logins. If anyone is having issues staying logged in then those are related to issues or settings on your phone.

Scott, it seems like when posting via the mobile site (not app), my signature shows up some times but not always.

Example: I posted all of my entires in the following thread via the mobile site: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...ringer-PMP3000

Scott, it seems like when posting via the mobile site (not app), my signature shows up some times but not always.

Example: I posted all of my entires in the following thread via the mobile site: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...ringer-PMP3000
    Perhaps sigs are displayed when I quote and reply?

- - - Updated - - -

Heh, nope

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

I've noticed that my signature will not show up unless I "Go Advanced" and select to use it while using the mobile site. Try that.
    Worlds okay-ist mandolin player

Relative newcomer

Weber Yellowstone F (2015)
    Red Valley EM (2018)
    Howard Morris Blue A4 (2023)
    Flatiron 1N (1982)

https://youtube.com/@zachwilson54?si=iGum4xPlSj0pbcjj

Blog Entries

Brian has a signature set but it's not showing up. All of his settings look correct. I've run a fix I hope will take care of it but he needs to post again to see if that corrects the issue. I was mistaken about something: signatures do show up on the mobile site. Guess I should use it more!

Test post!

Another test post from my mobile

- - - Updated - - -

Test post from my mobile using the full site layout

Back to mobile layout

Log out/in test

Blog Entries

I've noticed the same thing, seems to coincide with recent changes. For clarity, I see the sigs of others on mobile, but my sig doesn't show.

Edit: like it doesn't show now. And editing doesn't give the "advanced" options, so I can't go check the dig checkbox.

Safari settings update