Thread: Chico, Oroville, Paradise....

Default Chico, Oroville, Paradise....

I am looking for musicians to play bluegrass, etc, with. I play mandolin and can fake it on guitar. I am about equidistant between Paradise, Chico, and Oroville.

Albert P.

Default Re: Chico, Oroville, Paradise....

Contact Lucy Smith at <lucyinchico@hotmail.com>. I don't live in that area, but Lucy knows all things bluegrass/jams in the Chico area. Have fun!
    John A. Karsemeyer

3. The following members say thank you to JAK for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Contact Lucy Smith at <lucyinchico@hotmail.com>. I don't live in that area, but Lucy knows all things bluegrass/jams in the Chico area. Have fun!
    Thanks for tip and the contact info, John. I have been going through some serious musical withdrawals since I moved to this area!

Again, thanks!

Albert

Search CA State Oldtime Fiddle Association (CSOTFA). District 6 covers Redding and points north of there and has regular jams. There are a lot of Swing players, but also some bluegrass pickers. No real Appalachian Oldtime if that's what you're after. You can also look for Northstate Fiddlers on Facebook--it's the same crowd as District 6. The Oroville Fiddle Contest is in another CSOTFA district that you should be able to track down.

Good luck,
    Z
    Member since 2003!

6. The following members say thank you to mingusb1 for this post:

I have been on the CSOTFA mailing list for years. I have yet to see anything that is what I am looking for. I even spoke to a couple folks. But then, it is a "Fiddle" thing. They do have guitar competitions and stuff.. and may also have one for mandolin, but I am just looking for people to Jam with.

Thanks for the info, though

I will check the NorthState Fiddlers FB page, however. Maybe I will have better luck there. I have been to a few fiddle contests. Pretty much all old time, which is good, but not what I am looking for. But I have not been to the Oroville "show" so perhaps I will check that out -- maybe I can find someone there. At least it isn't two hours away

Right now, I play with an informal group of about a half-dozen other musically-inclined acoustic musicians. And while figuring out leads and comping for mandolin on songs including everything from the Beach Boys to the Stones and Cat Stevens to the Beatles is not really un-enjoyable, and certainly somewhat challenging, again, it's not really what I want to be doing. But they are also good friends, so that's a plus.

Again, thanks for the tips