Thread: Straps for an A style in the UK

Default Straps for an A style in the UK

Yes I know, I am probably going to receive the wrath of the whole cafe for starting yet another strap thread, but, try as I might I cannot seem to find a decent leather strap here in the UK to fit an A mandolin with two strap buttons.

Most I have seen seem to have loops on one end, or a gurt big slot in the case of the planet waves ones. The neotech ones look nice, but they aren't leather, and I don't want one that looks like a car seat belt!

Ivan: I noticed on my travels that you have designed a very nice looking one via pine grove leathers, but.....they don't seem to be adjustable. Do you find this a problem?

This strap is for my partner who has just bought a beautiful Phil Davidson Celtic off of The Lord of the Badgers here. She has told me distinctly she wants something in black leather (come to think of it, I hope she was talking about mandolin straps

I could also do with one myself for my Weber octave, currently using a guitar strap, but it puts the mandolin at a slight angle I find.

Well, here's hoping that someone might know where I can get one for my dear lady and myself

Thanks,

Robbie

Default Re: Straps for an A style in the UK

I have always made my own. Is there a place that repairs shoes or somewhere else that would have leather to sell. They will sell you a strip and you can cut to length with a sharp knife. They may even punch the holes for you. Somewhere that sells tack for horses would have leather reigns too that you could use. A soft leather belt is another source.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Check with this fellow, his name is Rod Boyes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PG_Leather.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	198.4 KB 
ID:	142596  

4. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:

Partial to Bill Bailey straps ! I have owned three !

6. The following members say thank you to yankees1 for this post:

Making your own is satisfying. Most of these are not two-button straps, but are examples of ones I have made.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5044260 web edited.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	250.5 KB 
ID:	142597Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5044257 edited web.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	160.3 KB 
ID:	142598Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF7183.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	150.6 KB 
ID:	142599Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF6317.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	142600Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Plain strap version1#2..jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	128.8 KB 
ID:	142601

I really like the Levy's Leathers M19PR for A models -- I believe it may be available from Amazon.uk.

Alan
    acinva

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Three 72-in rawhide boot laces and a girls pigtail braid.

Done!

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Robbie,
    See if you can find a saddle maker,they can make one for you however long and with holes at both ends. Not a tough job for them.

12. The following members say thank you to renoyd for this post:

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

Rob
    Pinegrove will make what you want! Rod asked me if I wanted adjustable, but what Ivan won't know is that this mandolin needs it to go on a strap button - there's no gap under the fretboard. Give Rod a bell mate.
    Glad she's happy. I admit it was a slight wrench but more for sentimentality than playing's sake!
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

14. The following members say thank you to Lord of the Badgers for this post:

Offloading mandolins now are we Badger !!!. I just sent Robbie an e-mail via.the Cafe. Rod should be able to fix him up eaily enough. I've asked Rod about Black leather straps myself & he's found a way to effectively dye one of the Brown leathers he uses. Robbie just needs to determine the length required & maybe ask for an extra couple of endpin holes for adjustment,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

16. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

+1 for Pinegrove - I got one for my A5 on Ivan's recommendation and I couldn't be happier. They're terrific straps, and Rod is a gent to deal with.

18. The following members say thank you to bbcee for this post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

A hangman's noose at each end of a leather shoelace works great for an over one shoulder strap. If you want one to go behind your neck it takes two laces. You want to tie the joining knot after you make the end nooses so it will be located " in the air" between the heel button and your "off" shoulder. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

I make mine out of narrow leather belts. Works great.
    Cary Fagan

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    Offloading mandolins now are we Badger !!!.
    don't jinx it or i'll change my mind ha ha
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

Like Cary Fagan I've made my own for myself and my partner for years now. Every time I'm in a charity or, particularly, vintage clothes shop I look in the leather belts section and have found very many nice, well worn in examples just the right length for an instrument strap. Add pair of leather tabs or a tab and a leather lace in a matching or complementary colour... et voila! Fun to do too.

+1) DIY is international .. tail to headstock with cordage will get the basic job done..

used leather belts have taken a nice curve to them.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Made my own straps for years ...... until Ivan recommended Pinegrove. Bought one, then another. You'll have one exactly the length you want within a week or so.

The problem with home made straps is getting a piece of leather with the right thickness, strength and flexibility. Personally, I have better things to do nowadays than search charity shops and manufacture second rate straps. Why spend several £hundred/thousand on a mandolin and £1 on a home made strap when the UK has a custom strap maker?

25. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    Made my own straps for years ...... until Ivan recommended Pinegrove. Bought one, then another. You'll have one exactly the length you want within a week or so.

The problem with home made straps is getting a piece of leather with the right thickness, strength and flexibility. Personally, I have better things to do nowadays than search charity shops and manufacture second rate straps. Why spend several £hundred/thousand on a mandolin and £1 on a home made strap when the UK has a custom strap maker?
    I understand your sentiments exactly. I never did it to save money. I live in a country where there are no mandolin straps available, so for fun I set out to make some. Although it took me a while to get the techniques and designs right, I now have the pleasure of making straps that friends, including professional mandolin player friends, are very happy with. It's only a hobby, not a business, and I don't think for a moment they are as good as the ones from Pinegrove. But that said, I still don't think 'second rate' would apply.
    Last edited by Ron McMillan; Jan-13-2016 at 9:37am.

27. The following members say thank you to Ron McMillan for this post:

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

Maybe because it's creative and I enjoy it. Also mending and recycling stuff generally which is one reason I repair what to some might seem worthless instruments. There's nothing second rate about the straps I make either.

Sorry, I wasn't getting at either Ron or Richard - in reality I've no idea what their straps are like and. if you care to read my post again, you'll see that I was commenting on straps I have manufactured.

What I meant was that you're unlikely to find the ideal piece of leather in a charity shop - at least I never have - and unless you have a particular skill (and equipment) for making leather items, you're unlikely to produce a first rate product. The thread starter is looking to buy, not make, a strap and I'm sure he's aware that he could make one if he had the skill and wish to do so.

Personally, I have no desire to get into leatherwork and the straps I have made from leather, bought specifically to make them, are nowhere near as good as those produced by Pinegrove. If you want to get into strap manufacture, go ahead but its unlikely to improve your mandolin playing

Thank you for all the replies . Useful suggestions about making straps, but as someone who struggles to sew on a button, or put a shelf up, I don't rate my chances. I've contacted Pinegrove who reckon hey can make me one of their guitar straps but in softer leather. I'll see how the one turns out for the mandolin, and of its good I might order one for the octave

I see they are based in Hebden bridge- hope they have recovered from all the flooding over Christmas

Hi Robbie - Having visited Rod Boyes last year to help him sort out a slight problem he was having in his leather selection,i know how close his home/business is to the canal which burst it's banks. I contacted Rod a few days ago & he's escaped any flooding. However,not too far away from his home,they were inundated. If asked,Rod will try to accomodate any requests for 'variations' in his straps. He's still building up his business,so all orders are appreciated & they're helping to keep in business the only guy i contacted last year actually willing to make a mandolin strap,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

32. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post: