Thread: Mandola strings

Default Mandola strings

Hi, I've just joined this forum and have a question about strings.
    What gauge strings should I get for the following 2 mandolas:
    1. Countryman octave mandola with scale length of 20.5 inch (52cm) tuned G-D-A-E
    2. Sherwood tenor mandola with scale length of 18.5 inch (47cm) tuned C-G-D-A

Thank you for your advice

Default Re: Mandola strings

Here is a recent thread about mandola strings

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...-EFT76-Strings

If you want to walk a little on the wild side:

I built a mandola a few years ago with a 17-7/8" scale length. It is tuned D-A-E-B, and was designed to use the same strings as a mandolin and have the same tuning and scale length as a mandolin when capoed at the fifth fret. It's worked out well for me.

Recently I replaced the strings, and instead of using unison tuning on the four lower strings, I made them tuned an octave apart, like a twelve-string guitar's lower strings. Like a 12-string, it brings out the highs. I found that I could use the same gauge strings for the high D and the E, and for the high A and the B, since the two strings are so close to the same pitch.

You might want to give it a go. My next experiment is to tune one of my standard mandolins the same way, just to see what it sounds like.
    -- John LaTorre
    Sacramento, California USA
    "Good judgment is the product of experience. Experience is the product of bad judgment" -- old aviation proverb

Blog Entries

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...63#post1467263

Here is more about mandola strings. I plan to ask Collings and Weber some more questions about Mandola and Octave mandolin strings soon.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

Quote Originally Posted by Jasont67 View Post
    Hi, I've just joined this forum and have a question about strings.
    What gauge strings should I get for the following 2 mandolas:
    1. Countryman octave mandola with scale length of 20.5 inch (52cm) tuned G-D-A-E
    2. Sherwood tenor mandola with scale length of 18.5 inch (47cm) tuned C-G-D-A

Thank you for your advice
    I don't know if this will fit your playing style but here goes: I play a 17" Weber and play solo pieces and I have not found any sets that work for me as they are all too heavy,so here is my custom set that I order as single strings from juststrings.com
    Tuning is A-D-G-C strings are PB .011 - .018 - .028 - .042. These work very well for me and are not too heavy to wear out my fingers.