Thread: A good source for mahogany blocks?

Default A good source for mahogany blocks?

Hi there!

First off, thank you to anyone taking the time to read this and give advice. The help that I've received from this forum has been invaluable.

Anyways, for my first 4 builds I've used pre-cut mahogany block sets for my mandolin, but I'd love to save some money and just cut my own. I'm just a little unsure on where is a good place to buy thick mahogany for that purpose. I've checked out as many tone wood websites that I know of and haven't seen anything.

Any suggestions on where to find this materiel would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Tyler

Default Re: A good source for mahogany blocks?

I have gotten nice mahogany boards from a lumber yard in a larger city. That was a long time ago, still have some. I made a special trip to get them.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Local auction sale rooms over here anyway. Mahogany bedroom furniture is out of fashion and practically given away.

Laminate your blocks out of 3/4" stock.
    Bill Snyder

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Laminated blocks are stronger, less prone to split, and cheaper to make. I use several types of wood in mine--mahogany if I have it, Alaska yellow cedar, even doug fir or spruce. I laminate in alternating directions.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

working for the mando.... Bluetickhound's Avatar

I have been using an extremely dense and heavy wood I scavenged from some crates that come to my office. The wood I am 99% sure to be Babul, but I haven't had any problems at all using it. It has a very distinctive (and quite pleasant) aroma to it also, which I consider a bonus....
    "A creative man is driven by the the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others."

Rayburn Mandolins
    https://m.facebook.com/rayburnmandol...urce=typeahead

If you can find a millwork shop near to you, something like a door and window maker, door frames, fancy arch doorways, stuff like that, go visit.
    If you are a nice person and chat up the owner, usually a harried craftsman, they throw away more wood in a month than a mandolin maker can use in a lifetime.
    My local guy closed up a couple of years ago, in the recession, and I'm still cutting on stuff he gave me. Oh, I may have slipped him a $20 last time I visited.

working for the mando.... Bluetickhound's Avatar

Not putting him on the spot or anything, but I bet Spruce Bruce could hook you up...
    "A creative man is driven by the the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others."

Rayburn Mandolins
    https://m.facebook.com/rayburnmandol...urce=typeahead

I have gotten some great instrument quality wood on Ebay----look under "Guitar" the "luthier supplies'"

Also, Gilmer Wood in Portland, Oregon has a super web site.

Thank you for the responses and advice! Looks like like I'll be checking out a few local lumber yards and mills...

Thanks everyone for taking the time to help me out!

Tyler

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetickhound View Post
    Not putting him on the spot or anything, but I bet Spruce Bruce could hook you up...
    Yeah, I collect small chunks from furniture makers, and probably have some kicking around...
    I know I have some nice walnut billets for blocks...

I have a huge scrap bin of mahogany that could be used for blocks. I do a lot of woodwork for boats and end up burning it. Just pay shipping. Better to contact me through my site than via the cafe PM system.