Thread: My unique Dobro mandolin from 1975

Default My unique Dobro mandolin from 1975

OMI, which owned the Dobro name from 1970 to 1993, was actually started by the same Dopyera brothers who founded National and Dobro in the late 1920s. In 1975, at the sprightly age of 80, Rudy Dopyera decided to commemorate the US's upcoming bicentennial by having the OMI factory build a run of resonator mandolins. Unlike their standard Dobro Ampliphonic mandolin model, these mandolins would bear the Safari brand name, they would be decorated with extensive engraving, many would have chromed brass bodies instead of wood, and they'd be limited to just 21 instruments. If you're wondering what any of these details has to do with the nation's bicentennial, I'm as confused as you are.

I recently found one of these Safari mandolins and snatched it up, having previously acquired a wood-bodied Ampliphonic from the same year (1975). Unusually, mine only bears the Dobro name. Between this and a few other features not normally found on the Safaris (adjustable truss rod, 3-piece neck), I suspect that mine was a prototype for the rest of the series. Even if that's not true, it's a very cool and unique instrument. It has slightly less volume than my Ampliphonic, with a mellower tone as well. Still, it's louder than the average conventional mandolin. These spider-cone resonators lack the raucous punch of the biscuit cones used by National, but they make up for it with a very sweet tone and superb sustain. The metal body also imparts a bit of natural reverb, kind of like my tricone lap steel. The intonation is slightly off, as if the fretboard were meant for a longer scale (another indication of a prototype, perhaps) but since there's really only access to the first 11 frets, it's not particularly noticeable. The translucent logo in the headstock veneer has crumbled but the pearl underneath has remained, so I'm going to try and replace it by printing a new on on a transparency sheet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8109.JPG 
Views:	545 
Size:	143.2 KB 
ID:	143025 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8110.JPG 
Views:	374 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	143026 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8112.JPG 
Views:	367 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	143027 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8113.JPG 
Views:	427 
Size:	126.8 KB 
ID:	143028 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8113.JPG 
Views:	427 
Size:	126.8 KB 
ID:	143028 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8114.JPG 
Views:	368 
Size:	154.6 KB 
ID:	143029

With the Ampliphonic, just 24 serial numbers apart:

Name:	IMG_8116.JPG 
Views:	771 
Size:	135.0 KB 
ID:	143030
    www.OldFrets.com: the obscure side of vintage instruments.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to nmiller For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: My unique Dobro mandolin from 1975

Really nice piece of history!

I was looking at one like the one on the right today. It had the headstock repaired (crack is barely visible). very interesting sound. chop chords sure sang out... I am debating whether or not to buy it. $600 cdn with a case. has a small dent on back. Also has a pick up. Sorry to babble but I get all excited when I am looking at purchasing new toys.
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

Really cool.
    Steve
    Steve Sorensen
    Sorensen Mandolin & Guitar Co.
    www.sorensenstrings.com

Hello! I have a one of those mandolins, I bought it a long time ago, it's a very unique mandolin, but I don't play it anymore. Would you know what these things are going for these days? I had to please to meet and hang out with John Dopyera jr, who unfortunately passed away a few years ago, at the "Dobro Festival" in Trnava, Slovak Republic, in the late 90s. He confirmed that his uncle, Rudy Dopyera, built this one, and he even build the wooden case for it (it looks a little home-baked!), which I find pretty interesting! Anyway, thanks for your post. I realize it's been a few years, but this is the only result that came up in my search for these unique instruments.

Name:	Safari.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	786.5 KB 
ID:	167112

It's fairly tough to appraise these. On the one hand, they're unique, nifty, playable pieces of history; on the other hand, there isn't a huge market for resonator mandolins in general, and these rarely come up for sale so there's little precedent to go by. I probably paid more than mine is worth, but I didn't mind because I love it both as a mandolin player, a collector, an instrument historian, and a fan of the Dopyeras in particular. I suspect you'd get more from a Dobro or National collector than a practicing mandolinist, though I have noticed standard-model Dobro mandos from the '70s going up in value lately.

There are any number of instrument dealers that could give you an appraisal, but I recommend RetroFret in NYC if you want someone to put together a detailed written document. They specialize in the obscure and oddball side of vintage instruments, and this would be right up their alley.
    www.OldFrets.com: the obscure side of vintage instruments.

8. The following members say thank you to nmiller for this post:

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

I love the look of these!
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

I bought one new in '75. I still have it. I string it up like a 12 string with octave Gs and Ds. I don't play it much any more. It's the one in my avatar pic.

Quote Originally Posted by mstoffel@mac.com View Post
    Hello! I have a one of those mandolins, I bought it a long time ago, it's a very unique mandolin, but I don't play it anymore. Would you know what these things are going for these days? I had to please to meet and hang out with John Dopyera jr, who unfortunately passed away a few years ago, at the "Dobro Festival" in Trnava, Slovak Republic, in the late 90s. He confirmed that his uncle, Rudy Dopyera, built this one, and he even build the wooden case for it (it looks a little home-baked!), which I find pretty interesting! Anyway, thanks for your post. I realize it's been a few years, but this is the only result that came up in my search for these unique instruments.

Name:	Safari.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	786.5 KB 
ID:	167112

Here is a picture of our Safari Dobro. It has been played for many years..we call it the "banjo killer".

Name:	Dobro full IMG_2886.JPG 
Views:	190 
Size:	2.01 MB 
ID:	167899

Quote Originally Posted by inventor00 View Post
    It has been played for many years..we call it the "banjo killer".
    With so many mandolins graced with that term, there must be a pile of banjo corpses or an entire banjo cemetary somewhere.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    With so many mandolins graced with that term, there must be a pile of banjo corpses or an entire banjo cemetary somewhere.
    Yes sir!

https://s3.amazonaws.com/lowres.cart...130111_low.jpg
    "Those who know don't have the words to tell, and the ones with the words don't know so well." - Bruce Cockburn

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    We call it that because you can "almost" play as loud as a banjo...

Hi Mr Miller could you give me a call regarding the mandolin all chrome 613-738-2994 thanks.

Late to the party, looks like the 1920's style three "lily of the valley" engraving but the shape of the flower buds are slightly different. Nice!
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings