Thread: First Pedal Day!

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Default First Pedal Day!

Totally by luck I happened on a DOD Overdrive Preamp 250 reissue. I had no clue, but it knew it needed to come home. Tried it out in the store with the Almuse humbuckers full throttle on Stealie. Hit the first note and I knew then, too. Simply freaking wow. That it was open-box and $40 meant I was happy to drop another $15 on the power supply. Got it home, set it up in front of my Laney Cub 10, and did I say simply freaking wow? I mean WOW. It's like a movie; When Stealie Met Screamie. Beautifully transparent when cut out; incredible impact at every setting. Putting the gain at one o'clock on the amp and the level low/gain mid on the box was nearly transcendent. WOW. Every once in a while the cosmos lines up nicely. I am one happy guy.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

Default Re: First Pedal Day!

I give up...What are you talking about?...I don`t recognize anything pertaining to mandolins here...Really isn`t necessary but you lost me...

3. The following members say thank you to Willie Poole for this post:

Blog Entries

http://www.almuse.co.uk/

Electric mandolins
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Poole View Post
    I give up...What are you talking about?...I don`t recognize anything pertaining to mandolins here...Really isn`t necessary but you lost me...
    Stealie is is my custom 5 string emando by Cafe member Andrew Jerman. I have been running it straight into a Laney tube amp, and today came home with my first effects pedal. Almuse makes mandolin pickups and does custom emando work in England. Sorry I was speaking in a different dialect of mandolin, but figured pedals was more about "equipment" than "electric mandolin" per se.
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Greenspoon View Post
    Stealie is is my custom 5 string emando by Cafe member Andrew Jerman. I have been running it straight into a Laney tube amp, and today came home with my first effects pedal. Almuse makes mandolin pickups and does custom emando work in England. Sorry I was speaking in a different dialect of mandolin, but figured pedals was more about "equipment" than "electric mandolin" per se.
    It's ok I'm fluent in emando (as a lot of us round here are). What a great find. I like my boss bd-2 overdrive for my 4 string JBovier but the DOD comes highly recommended and I should try one someday.

Good score. Congratulations.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

7. The following members say thank you to David Lewis for this post:

seems like more ' into ' technology than music to me.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hanson View Post
    seems like more ' into ' technology than music to me.

Dave H
    I guess you're right. And people who obsess over strings are more into metallurgy. And those who dissect picks are into materials science. And builders who play with different exotic tonewoods are more into botany...REALLY? Let me turn off the sarcasm font here Dave, and suggest it's all about tone and shaping your sound. In acoustic settings, no-one gets snarky if you discuss flatwounds vs. monels vs. whatever strings trip your trigger this week or for that matter, different mics and the overlays they add or don't to vocal sound. At the end of the day, it's all about the music, unless of course you prefer to obsess over how many variations on the same theme in name-brand instruments are in one's collection.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave Greenspoon For This Useful Post:

Watch out, Dave, pedals are just another addiction wanting to happen. First it's the DOD, then maybe a Big Muff or a Cry Baby, and pretty soon you've got twelve or so of those boxes at your feet. ;^)

Have fun with it.

Pete
    Pete Braccio

"The Rules: Play nice and don't run with scissors"
    http://www.braccio.me
    Check out my web site for:
    Jack Tottle music files
    BBC Virtual Session files
    O'Neill's PDFs
    ITM Tunebooks, and more

I know just how you feel, Mr Greenspoon; about a month ago I received an Almuse Aggressor humbucker from Pete, installed it in my Dessl 8-string Emando, and was blown away. My OD pedal of choice is a Pearl OD5 from the 80's, and plugged into a Jennen tube amp from the 60s (with a whopping 2 Watts output), it kicks a**. Playing crunchy hard electric mandolin is a blast (not much good for jigs and reels, though).
    "Give me a mandolin and I'll play you rock 'n' roll" (Keith Moon)

I have not been impressed with the sound of pedals on my Kentucky emando. Even when I use amplifier effects I tend to go with doubling type effects rather than crunch. That may just be my ears, but I have yet to hear a really good overdrive on my mando. My 335 is another story.

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

I haven't tried the DOD but after reading this and other articles I think I might have to give it a try. Have you tried it with a guitar (telecaster)? I use a Ibanez ts9 (for guitar and mandolin- saga kit) and am not satisfied with the tone on the emando. Thanks
    Worlds okay-ist mandolin player

Relative newcomer

Weber Yellowstone F (2015)
    Red Valley EM (2018)
    Howard Morris Blue A4 (2023)
    Flatiron 1N (1982)

https://youtube.com/@zachwilson54?si=iGum4xPlSj0pbcjj

I totally love the "having a Wow feeling", how many do you actually get in this mandolin journey?

Dan
    stroke survivor
    www.myspace.com/dtbtunz

16. The following members say thank you to dtb for this post:

Congrats Dave on getting a great deal for the DOD pedal. That should keep you pretty busy on the 5 string. Electric mandolin rocks!!

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

David L.-the DOD reissue has inspired some great reviews. I'm in awe of this little box for its versatility at shaping a whole bunch of different sounds.

Pete-I've spent enough time around gear in general to know I like to keep it simple. 8 boxes on any given board at a shot will be fine. ;-) Did I mention I've got a line on a great deal for a used Behringer CO600 chorus orchestra pedal?

Polecat-a little Thin Lizzy might be called for, yes?

Santiago-I never liked the stock lipstick on the KM300e. Putting the Wild Bill humbucker on it was HUGE for "Bessie" and might be an option for you. BTW, love some of the delays I've heard for a doubling effect.

Zach-I haven't heard one of the Saga builds first-hand and never been a guitar guy; sorry I can't help you there.

Dan-its the memories of those rare wow feelings that keep us all going sometimes!

Len-thanks! Totally thrilled. Completely lucked into this pedal and am loving it. On the mando, that low C is giving me all sorts of options that I was wanting. Electric mandolin rocks indeed!

I wonder how a Klon Centaur sounds with an emando.

https://reverb.com/p/klon-centaur-non-horsie

I know where I can get an original for just under $2400.00. It's only a 3.5 hour drive from me. You buy, I'll fly and happily cover gas and tolls.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jefflester View Post
    I wonder how a Klon Centaur sounds with an emando.

https://reverb.com/p/klon-centaur-non-horsie

Congrats, Dave! I bought a Keely Red Dirt OD pedal a few weeks ago to use when the distortion effects on my amp were just too much with my Mandobird for the song I was using it on. I really like the tone, but am still just figuring out how to really shape the tone with it and the amp together. I can definitely see more pedals in my future, but, next up, a nice 18watt or so tube amp, I think...

Of course, I didn't get nearly as good a deal as you, but it was still worth it!!
    Chuck

22. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

I know the feeling when an fx box turns out to be just the thing, felt the same when I found this Ibanez ue300 about 18 years ago Great sound and an AC cord, no battery or wall wort.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ue300.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	167.8 KB 
ID:	143226
    Last edited by Jim; Jan-31-2016 at 6:23pm.
    Jim Richmond

24. The following members say thank you to Jim for this post:

What a great pedal, Jim! I'm jealous - both the TS and Chorus are supposed to be really good, and having a master on/off foot switch is a very useful feature.
    "Give me a mandolin and I'll play you rock 'n' roll" (Keith Moon)

26. The following members say thank you to Polecat for this post:

Jim- when you pass can i have your ue300?

.... please know I am just joking. I'd never wish that on anyone.

But, with that said... I call dibs.

28. The following members say thank you to Zach Wilson for this post:

Jim 

I love tech as much as instruments. my latest toy can use a 6 button controller to control instrument and vocal fx (waiting for the 6 button to arrive)

never did try a dod pedal though.
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

Jim- when you pass can i have your ue300?

.... please know I am just joking. I'd never wish that on anyone.

But, with that said... I call dibs.
    Zach, I have 2 kids and one son in law that are kind of in line for it. I am also feeling pretty healthy for a 60 y/o :-) Thanks for the interest though.
    Jim Richmond

Fare enough

I have PAS (pedal acquisition syndrome) for a ue300 bad and have seen a couple floating around reverb/ebay that I might bite the bullet for.

Good luck in your hunt.
    Jim Richmond