Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: In case or on stand?

Default Re: In case or on stand?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3E9A0035.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	143252Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3E9A0037.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	143253

Like Tom Sanderson, I have my mandolin and a couple of fiddles, that I regularly play, hanging in an old gun cabinet with glass doors. I get to look at them when not playing and it's easy to humidify using a shallow pan of water with a grate on top. I'm thinking of building or finding glass display cases for all my instruments and replacing most of the artwork around the house.

Sorry for the bad pic's, morning sun blasting through the window.
    Eric

2. The following members say thank you to BlueMt. for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    You seem a bit defensive there, markscarts, as if this were a direct insult to your choice of leaving instruments on stands. It was not. If you like to have your instruments out on display, great. And your neighbor's example actually proves my point. She chooses not to play, and it has nothing to do with the guitar being accessible or not.

Accessibility on a stand is a convenience, for sure. But does "out of sight, out of mind" really apply here? Is there really anyone who wishes they played more but keeps forgetting they own a mandolin because it's not right there in front of them?
    Hi Tobin, I suppose I do "sound" defensive, just wanted to supply an argument to the line of reasoning that seems to be a stock comment - no offense in that, it's just that I've seen your comment posted in another thread recently - and I think that "out of sight, out of mind" does apply for some people. I think that's why some have posted that having their instrument out encourages them to play or practice. We're not all built the same. My comment to my neighbor was in response to her saying, "I hardly play anymore lately. I don't know why, I just don't think about it." So while your point is well taken in that the only excuse for not playing is that a person is not motivated to play, I think we have to consider that folk who are operating on the principle that having an instrument to hand, "in your face" so to speak, motivates them to play more. I can concur with that.

I applaud your instinct to care for your instruments and treat them with respect, my defensive reaction is really toward a "one size fits all" philosophy.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Gunter For This Useful Post:

Floor stands and wall hangers for all my instruments. They only go in cases when they leave the house, for the following reasons:

* They're handy. I can grab them and play. I admit to a degree of laziness here, but there other reasons below.

* Sometimes musician friends come over and borrow one of my instruments to jam. Saves me taking them out of a case.

* I like looking at them. Music has been an important part of my life, and I like being reminded of that. Over the last year or so, I've been whittling down the collection to just the instruments I actually play frequently. So the house no longer looks like a music store.

* No small kids, no dogs.

* Less humidity/temperature shock than putting them in and out of cases. I control humidity on a whole-house basis.

* I don't care about higher risk. If something gets knocked over and damaged, so be it. I'll get it fixed or buy another one. I enjoy playing high quality instruments, but I'm not so deeply attached that I feel they always need to be babied inside a case. They're tools for a higher purpose, and I can get more tools. That said, while my instruments are valuable, none are in the irreplaceable category like a Loar. Maybe I'd feel differently if I owned something like that.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to foldedpath For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMt. View Post

Name:	3E9A0035.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	143252Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3E9A0037.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	143253

Like Tom Sanderson, I have my mandolin and a couple of fiddles, that I regularly play, hanging in an old gun cabinet with glass doors. I get to look at them when not playing and it's easy to humidify using a shallow pan of water with a grate on top. I'm thinking of building or finding glass display cases for all my instruments and replacing most of the artwork around the house.

Sorry for the bad pic's, morning sun blasting through the window.
    Great idea. I'm a craigslist browser. I see gun cabinets, Secretary desks, hutches and display cases listed all the time at some pretty low prices (at least on the St Augustine Craigslist). It's a great way to keep your instruments safe, humidified, and easily accessible. Most have locks on them and it does make great usable art. I keep my music books and sheet music in the drawers, so all I have to do is grab my mando and sit down and play.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Sanderson For This Useful Post:

In their cases always. I love the secretary desk storage...great idea!
    2007 Sumi F-5 Deluxe
    1991 Flatiron Performer A
    Martin D-35

One on a stand, One on the wall, and one in it's case in the safe.

When I leave the ranch without an instrument, they go into the safe with the guns.
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

Blog Entries

I generally have always kept my guitars and mandolins in their cases. If I am practicing for a performance, I will leave it on a stand over night some days, but eventually, all instruments go in their cases. I don't view hanging them or displaying them as the wrong choice, I just worry about knocking them over! LOL! Also, I believe that the case is also a good environment to prevent exposure to extreme temperature changes and light. Light is an underrated source of damage to instruments-- primarily fading of the finish. So, I am a bit paranoid about this, but I choose to put them to bed.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

12. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

Case.

In their cases -- and the cases are stacked/piled/lined up right at the door of our living room (what the kids call the piano room and where all our instruments are kept) so I can, occasionally, trip over them on the way in. I see all six/seven cases every time I walk into the room and I can tell you which instruments are in which cases. That's proved convenient for me. I have been known to prop one of them I've been playing on the couch when I leave the room momentarily, but, well, we have a cat and my husband isn't quite as careful as I am walking into a room or looking where he's sitting down. He keeps his acoustic guitars in their cases, but right now he's got a cheap electric guitar sitting on a stand that he noodles on at night to cut down on noise. I guess you could say we're a mixed marriage ...
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

15. The following members say thank you to Randi Gormley for this post:

I leave my Guild T-50 out at all times. Why? Cuz it's about the coolest looking guitar ever made . . .

(Caveat - I was a few years younger when this photo was taken . . .)

Name:	guild1a.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	104.8 KB 
ID:	143266
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

17. The following members say thank you to jaycat for this post:

I've learned the hard way that Murphy's Law is always in play. So, when I'm not playing them, my instruments are in the case, lid closed and at least one latch engaged.

19. The following members say thank you to Maczart for this post:

I generally keep my gigging intruments in cases and I have a set of rehearsal instruments out so they are easy to grab. The acoustic guitar goes in and out for humidifying...

my cases are generally put away so having instruments out is a lot handier for me. I grabbed 5 different instruments yesterday to try stuff and playing with the radio. I also have friends come jam and it is easier for them to just grab something
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

I live in earthquake country so it's into the case with them when I finish playing. My instruments are all very fine and will survive many generations given the chance. Sooo..I won't be leaving any out.
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars

Blog Entries

in the case. fully latched

No visual prompt needed to want to play mandolin

23. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

I have 5 children (ages six and younger) so my instruments are NOT on floor stands. I keep some hung on the wall and others in the cases. I like to see them and it does motivate me to play more.
    Be true to your teeth, or they'll be false to you!

25. The following members say thank you to Sweetpea44 for this post:

Blog Entries

I have a lot of direct sun light in my home, and it would be difficult to find a place where the instrument would not be in the sun for a portion of the day. I don't think direct sun for any extended period is good for an instrument. Uneven heating of the wood, I would think, more than fading finish colors, but in any event I avoid it.

I have one internal wall that stays out of the sun in all seasons and times, and against that wall are all my instruments, in their cases, resting in wicker blanket trunks. I keep two cases out of the trunks, easy to grab. The two most handsome cases - a Reunion Blues Continental, and a Reunion Blues black leather. They are works of art in them selves, and so they are always in view on the top of the blanket trunks.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

27. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Blog Entries

When I had young children, instruments stayed put away. Now I live alone, and my instrument stays out all the time. I do make sure it is not on a high shelf, or underneath things than can fall (earthquake). It is in shade (I like shade, too).

I like being able to just pick it up and play. Especially when I was mainly playing bowed instruments, it was a bother to assemble the setup, what with shoulder rest, tightening the bow, etc. I found that eliminating all impediments to practice was useful in capturing what meager inspiration I might feel, encouraging daily time on task.

If I was not a full-time musician, I would go the case route. My other mandolins and violas stay in their cases--only the active one sits out. BTW, I do not bother with any humidity control, it has never caused me any problems, except for too much humidity softening the glue of an Otto Erdesz viola, which came apart in multiple ways in Washington DC summer weather.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

This Kid Needs Practice Bill Clements's Avatar

A few years ago I knocked a mandolin off it's stand while setting it down, causing some regrettable damage. Since then, my mandolins go in their cases when not being played. It takes me less than 5 seconds to get them out to play. I like the cabinet idea, Tom. I sell band/orchestral instruments and tell kids that instruments go in cases when not being played; I would feel like a hypocrite if I didn't follow my own advice!
    No right or wrong answer--just personal preference.
    "Music is the only noise for which one is obliged to pay." ~ Alexander Dumas

The ones I play are on the wall hanging. The ones I don't play are in their cases. Simple.

I like Tom's solution best.

31. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

In cases in the closet and all over the House .
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Our instruments hang on the wall (7), and a few are in their cases. It's nice to have choices before you.
    ... not all those who wander are lost ...

I'm a fan of having my instruments out. My 1911 Gibson A4 hangs by my desk, and I found the perfect spot for my Eastman 815v in the living room.

Bill

Name:	mando 2a.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	148.2 KB 
ID:	143271

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burch View Post
    I found the perfect spot for my Eastman 815v in the living room.

Name:	mando 2a.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	148.2 KB 
ID:	143271
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Mine instruments, Guitar / Banjo & Mandolins are always in their cases - fully locked & in the over the stairs 'cubby hole' in my front bedroom. Apart from my inate clumsiness,only an act of God can damage them, I actually quite like opening the cases to see them instead of having them staring me in the face all the time (so to speak ). However Tom Sanderson's & Blue Mt's storage facilities are beautiful,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Randi Gormley View Post
    I guess you could say we're a mixed marriage ...
    Actually I think its wonderful. Enviable even. There is a lot to put up with being married to a musician, stuff that only another musician can really understand and forgive or ignore.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

39. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post: