Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Classified etiquette

Default Re: Classified etiquette

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    I feel like you get a certain level of respectability just by selling here, vs. on reverb or ebay or something like that.
    I agree with Sue. I buy or sell here, never on Ebay or Reverb. Not to cast aspersions on those other venues, but I am more confident here. I believe Scott and his team have done an outstanding job of making sure those doing business here are safe. Note the level of civility and respect you see in posts. It's all part of the same thing. So Sherry, even if it's your first ad on the Cafe, I have more confidence just because you're here in our community.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Clark View Post
    I agree with Sue. I buy or sell here, never on Ebay or Reverb. Not to cast aspersions on those other venues, but I am more confident here. I believe Scott and his team have done an outstanding job of making sure those doing business here are safe. Note the level of civility and respect you see in posts. It's all part of the same thing. So Sherry, even if it's your first ad on the Cafe, I have more confidence just because you're here in our community.
    Thanks, Bob! I've posted so much lately, there are probably some who are thankful my name hasn't appeared in the classifieds!

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry Cadenhead View Post
    Do you think he meant newspaper or Mandolin Cafe classifieds?
    She, and I assume MC Classifieds, with no other modifier specified. I'm very surprised at that. I've always assumed people here were very well-behaved. Scott and the mods run a very tight ship there, for which I am grateful. I've only bought one mandolin there, and it was very smooth, but I've seen nearly all good reports over the years.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Sherry,
    About two years ago I made my first larger dollar sale here on the Classifieds. I had bought and sold a few smaller items over the years, but nothing large until I sold my Click mandolin.
    I was bale to talk with a local luthier who gave me some insight as to what would be a fair price. I had a few good pictures taken. I also had someone post a video of the mandolin being played, for which I am very grateful. All of these things, I feel, helped the mandolin to sell. I received payment, and sent the mandolin as agreed.
    I would gladly sell here again if given the need to do so.
    I remember a few years ago Scott assisted a member in finding a faux seller. He tried to flim-flam the member. Scott worked very hard to assist tracking down the assumed criminal. If I remember right, he did so very effectively and the buyer/member was cared for financially.
    I have very great confidence in Scott and his team of moderators, and likely the number of others that help him behind the scenes.
    I also feel very grateful, as is Journeybear, for the way this site is run/overseen.
    Success to you, Sherry, in your mandolin endeavors!
    Eric Hanson
    Click #016/ Born on 2/29/08 - Sold to the next Conservator of this great mandolin!
    The search has ceased! (At least for now)
    Collings A-Style
    White #29R : Oh my!! This one is so AWESOME!!

5. The following members say thank you to Eric Hanson for this post:

A different perspective, I would never make an offer on an instrument I have not had in my hands. Incidentally I have never been burned since I adopted that policy. It took getting screwed twice to learn a lesson.

As to etiquette, I find quite a few listings that I find off putting by the attitude.
    Why do I look if I don't make an offer without sight unseen, because the instrument
    is either worth the money or it isn't. And it is educational.
    Last edited by Jeff Hildreth; Feb-27-2021 at 8:59pm.

A trend that's become worse: people ask questions and want a bunch of pictures and you never hear from them again once you respond. No common courtesy to take the time to say, "Thanks, I got the pics. Decided not to get it." or whatever. Really, is that too much to ask? I guess so. Now get off my lawn.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Don Grieser For This Useful Post:

I agree, Don. The “ghosting” thing has even bled over to younger applicants for jobs. I’ve always felt like I never wanted to burn any bridges unnecessarily. You just never know when being respectful may help you build a relationship later. That’s a big part of why I’ve sold everything on consignment. I know I take a $ hit, but don’t have to deal with tire kickers and the rest of it. Of course, I don’t do this for a living. It’s hurt me to see some of the instruments listed for sale by pros since last March cuz they need the money. A few of them have been selling to move up the mando food chain, but a lot to pay rent or eat...
    Chuck

10. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

Have bought three times off the MC classified listings. First (Washburn Jethro) pretty straightforward. Local pick up cash on the barrel head fair price and done. 25 years ago. Very pleased. Next (Capek A5) from a regular MC member. Pay by USPS money order (traceability) and received with no issues. 20 years ago. And as nice an A5 for the price as I've ever heard. Lastly about 2 years ago Mid-Mo M2. On my wish list, fair price and very nice person to deal with. USPS money order for payment and it shows up right on time. Again more than satisfied with this instrument for price paid. These were all private sellers and MC members so maybe a little leap of faith. But I think we have a good community here. And these weren't exactly big dollar risks comparatively speaking. So protect your funds (traceability) however you see fit, use your instincts if you feel somethings not right, but sometimes... well you just gotta go for it.
    Ratliff R5 2007, Capek A5 2003, Washburn M5S-SB Jethro Burns 1982, Mid-Mo M-2, Epiphone MM 30 Bk mandolins, Harmony Batwing 1970's, George Bauer bowlback early 1900's Philadelphia.

"Don't cloud the issue with facts!" Groucho Marx

12. The following members say thank you to Bob Gnann for this post: