Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: Tarantino's Hateful Eight Destroys Museum Martin

Blog Entries

Default Article: Tarantino's Hateful Eight Destroys Museum Martin

Default Re: Article: Tarantino's Hateful Eight Destroys Museum Martin

I realise Mr Tarantino is well known for his titillation of the intelligentsia with such violent depictions but for me this is a bridge too far! There is something unforgivable about such a senseless and avoidable accident such as this.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Perhaps the film should be now called "The Hateful Nine" to include the varmint responsible for bungling the replacement.

In Hendrix' defense, he swapped out his Fender for a cheapie before sacrificing it to flames at Monterey. I'm not sure about Townshend's approach, though I believe he was bit less responsible. I recall reading an account of the trials the band had to endure because they had to keep putting their earnings toward buying more props - er, guitars.

That said, he did take a stand for artistic integrity when approached by the filmmakers of "Blow-Up." He wasn't willing to do it their way, which would have meant multiple takes of doing it on cue, rather than in the heat of passion. So they hired The Yardbirds instead, which had two seasoned session men playing guitars. So while Jimmy Page looked in with bemused detachment, Jeff Beck smashed his guitar and threw the pieces into the audience. And the world never stopped spinning.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm planning to see this cinematic extravaganza on Monday. I feel better prepared for the shock, though no less dismayed.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Mick

vintagemandolin.com Charles Johnson's Avatar

I have heard numerous stories that the guitars smashed were glued back together when possible. Jim Marshall has written about repairing the same speaker cabinent trashed by the Who several times.

As for Hendrix, he was known to routinely use only three or four specific guitars. These were never smashed - the tech switched out the guitar before the last song.

http://www.ssninsider.com/ssn-screen...hateful-eight/

This is a link to the article that first mentioned the incident. See the 8th paragraph, it starts with the comment,"Ulano related one amusing story while shooting a scene..."
    AMUSING! That's how these people look at things. Disgusting (insert profanity)'s

Did the museum take back the busted bits that were left over? It could make a great display -a good education for kids too?

From the above linked article:

Funny enough, the Martin Museum representatives only asked two questions after the incident. “‘Do you need another one and can we please have all the pieces to display in our museum?’”

First thing my kids asked, too. I doubt either one would have wanted to go see the original guitar, but both immediately asked if they could go see shattered pieces.

Mandolin tragic Graham McDonald's Avatar

Curiously, there is a mandolin connection in this sad tale. The song that was being sung is an Australian folk song, 'Jim Jones at Botany Bay' (which has an intriguing history all of its own) which was spotted by someone on the film's production team being sung by two friends of mine, Jason and Chloe Roweth (www.rowethmusic.com.au). Chloe is a fine mandolin player, who plays one of Peter Coombe's mandolins and one of my mandolas. Shame about the guitar though.....

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Graham McDonald For This Useful Post:

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Johnson View Post
    I have heard numerous stories that the guitars smashed were glued back together when possible. Jim Marshall has written about repairing the same speaker cabinent trashed by the Who several times.

As for Hendrix, he was known to routinely use only three or four specific guitars. These were never smashed - the tech switched out the guitar before the last song.
    Townshend admitted fixing his guitars after the show in his memoirs...
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Jennifer Jason Leigh 'Heartbroken'

Billboard magazine has scored the first interview with cast or director about the incident, confirming that the story is pretty much what was initially reported by the crew member and Dick Boak of Martin. DETAILS HERE

Disgusting to watch.

Most moviegoers would not recognize the guitar's authenticity. Needless for it to be on set. Tough lesson learned.

No different than when Hollywood smashes up beautiful vintage cars.....

Back in the day when The Who was in full force of popularity, I probably smashed enough vintage instruments on stage in today's value to exceed the cost of my house! Maybe that is part of why I spend much of my days now restoring broken up old vintage beauties....

j.
    www.condino.com
    www.kaybassrepair.com

Blog Entries

“Do you need another one and can we please have all the pieces to display in our museum?”

I may barf. I seriously doubt that's ALL Martin reps had to say about this.

I'm sure they want the pieces back, and they will probably put it on display - and why not, now that it's part of cinematic history as well as folklore. But I'm sure they are livid, and may be considering a lawsuit, despite receiving an insurance settlement. Something on loan is supposed to be returned in the same or perhaps better condition it was in.

From the Billboard article:

For all the violent deaths that occur in "The Hateful Eight," then, it turns out the movie is also an actual guitar snuff film.

Ouch!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

journeybear, are you saying Hendrix did not burn a 60's Fender Strat at Monterrey? Because I don't recall there being exact knockoffs back then...and there weren't all the cheaper Fender models we have now.

According to this article at reverb.com, Martin didn't initially know the circumstances of the destruction (quote below). Also, in the article Martin denies offering a replacement.

“'We were informed that it was an accident on set,' Boak says. 'We assumed that a scaffolding or something fell on it. We understand that things happen, but at the same time we can’t take this lightly. All this about the guitar being smashed being written into the script and that somebody just didn’t tell the actor, this is all new information to us. We didn’t know anything about the script or Kurt Russell not being told that it was a priceless, irreplaceable artifact from the Martin Museum.'”

https://reverb.com/blog/cf-martin-re...eful-eight-set

bb

I believe that when Hendrix destroyed a guitar, it was a Mustang (more like today's Squire). Not sure about Townsend. As for The Hateful Eight, this was painful to watch and I cannot bring myself to see the film. Do you think Tarantino did it on purpose to get that shocked reaction out of Jennifer Jason Leigh?

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bohemianbiker View Post
    According to this article at reverb.com, Martin didn't initially know the circumstances of the destruction (quote below). Also, in the article Martin denies offering a replacement.

“'We were informed that it was an accident on set,' Boak says. 'We assumed that a scaffolding or something fell on it. We understand that things happen, but at the same time we can’t take this lightly. All this about the guitar being smashed being written into the script and that somebody just didn’t tell the actor, this is all new information to us. We didn’t know anything about the script or Kurt Russell not being told that it was a priceless, irreplaceable artifact from the Martin Museum.'”

https://reverb.com/blog/cf-martin-re...eful-eight-set

bb

Yeah, the story in the movie trouser press about Martin offering a replacement and wanting the shards is just too apocryphal (read BS) to be true. Pretty ridiculous behavior all the way around. Sounds like Martin had it insured, but my hunch is that somebody wrote (or will write) a big check. No need for an actor or director to come out of this looking like a complete maroon.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

20. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flattpicker View Post
    journeybear, are you saying Hendrix did not burn a 60's Fender Strat at Monterrey? Because I don't recall there being exact knockoffs back then...and there weren't all the cheaper Fender models we have now.
    Why ask me? I'm no expert. I'm just gonna repeat what I've heard or read, something like this. Do what I do - ask the internet. If you want answers, that is. If you just want to chat, well, I can do that ...

To that end, this guitar looks red, not black. I imagine a close inspection of the entire film might show the swap. Or if he left the stage and then came back for the encore and did this, then the swap could easily have been done backstage.

BTW, everyone getting up on their high horses and refusing to see this movie because of this "issue" - you're missing out on a terrifically entertaining cinematic production. You're blowing off 167 minutes of movie magic because of a few seconds of screen time. You're having no effect on anyone but yourself. IMO, of course. But it does hammer home the notion that what we mandolinists say and do in our little corner of the universe represents a pretty goshdarned small fraction of what matters to anyone else. I'm not condoning what happened on the set - in fact, I'm appalled - I just don't think what we have to say about it is very meaningful. And it sure isn't going to bring that guitar back.

And on a musical note, of sorts - this movie introduced a Roy Orbison song to my ears which I had not heard before, playing during the end credits. Perhaps not one of his greatest, but fitting thematically. And I am just a little tickled I recognized his voice. Maybe these ears ain't quite done yet. It's “There Weren’t Be Many Coming Home” which is from "The Fastest Guitar Alive," his only screen appearance.

Last edited by journeybear; Feb-09-2016 at 6:21pm.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

You know JB, you're exactly right. 18 posts, 3 yours yet an online word counter quickly points out over a third of the reply volume is coming from you alone. you're right, you don't have much to say meaningful. If only it was restricted to just this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by JPerkins View Post
    You know JB, you're exactly right. 18 posts, 3 yours yet an online word counter quickly points out over a third of the reply volume is coming from you alone. you're right, you don't have much to say meaningful. If only it was restricted to just this thread.
    Ouch. I must have missed something.

Blog Entries

<content removed. inappropriate use of this forum and infighting you started - we think you've said enough here and you fired the first shot.>
    Last edited by Scott Tichenor; Feb-10-2016 at 11:40am. Reason: inappropriate, violates forum posting guidelines

Striving for adequacy Mark Hawkins's Avatar

It's unfortunate that the guitar was destroyed but it was less than worthless in my opinion because it no longer made music. What good is an instrument too 'precious' to be played and enjoyed that it's kept in a glass case? Someone mentioned Bill Monroe's Loar being smashed but few are aware that Gibson reassembled it and Bill continued to play it. But why suggest reassembling this guitar just to put it back in a case? I just don't get the value our society places on things like diamonds, it's just a rock. Water is precious, air is precious, life is precious. These instruments are just tools, the music they produce, the emotions & memories the music stimulates that's precious.
    Sorry for the rant, I'll get off the soapbox now.

Quote Originally Posted by mdh View Post
    ...Someone mentioned Bill Monroe's Loar being smashed but few are aware that Gibson reassembled it and Bill continued to play it...

I would bet that although there are probably very few people in the general population who know anything about Mr. Bill's mandolin being vandalized, most of those folks know that it was repaired, who repaired it, and that it lived to be played again.

Quote Originally Posted by FLATROCK HILL View Post
    I would bet ... most of those folks know that it was repaired, who repaired it, and that it lived to be played again.
    Well, I hope so! How many Monroe fans do you know who never got the news about the repair, and believe to this day that the mandolin is still busted?
    Last edited by mrmando; Feb-10-2016 at 4:42pm.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls