Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. Dan Hicks

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default R.I.P. Dan Hicks

I'm nearly overwhelmed with grief upon the passing today of Dan Hicks. He was (I hate having to use that word) one of my biggest musical influences. He was the guy who made me want to be a musician, and served as an example. Dan Hicks, Sid Page, and the rest of The Hot Licks changed my life when they played at my little college in 1972 or 1973 - Dan because of the music and his easygoing stage manner, and Sid because of his mandolin playing. These helped point me in some directions with my own mandolin playing, learning how to fit it in with other musicians, a really big help in my development. And Dan's songwriting style helped me with mine, in terms of the chord structures he used and how he incorporated humor into his lyrics, even into the music somewhat. He really opened up possibilities in music that probably had been there all along, but somehow his voice reached me first. I'm forever grateful for him. And I treasure the few times I met him. Each time was a bit of an adventure. He was a born entertainer, to be that entertaining.

My first real band, Tin Can Alley, was modeled partly after his music, along with Holy Modal Rounders and Leon Redbone. Finding two other guys who liked the same kind of music and had the right instrumentation was a strange and wonderful coincidence. Thirty years later, finding myself in a somewhat similar band, The Love Lane Gang, rekindled the joy of being able to play this kind of music. We even had two female singers for a while, though they weren't into the flirty routines the Lickettes had with Dan.

The few times I've met Dan Hicks were entertaining events in themselves. That even includes that first show, when it seemed he couldn't get over the fact it was held in a chapel. He ket saying, "This is a church?" and "We're playing in a church?" as if he was worried the hand of God would strike him down for playing slightly risqué music on sacred ground. (He needn't have worried; it was a very liberal college, and his music wasn't really all that insouciant.) I was also impressed that there were two full-size potted palm trees framing the stage, with a painted South Seas backdrop completing the scene. They played most of the songs from "Where's The Money?" and "Striking It Rich." I had no idea at the time that I was experiencing their brief golden era. But I am on record as saying that "Where's The Money?" is one of the best live albums of all time. It is so smooth and tight and dead-on perfect in every way that one tends to forget it was recorded live. It's that well-done.

The first time I met him was when he hosted an open mike at some club in Mill Valley, CA, in late 1977 or 1978. During the course of the evening he got extremely drunk, and even so was more funny than annoying. He really was a very charming fellow. Years later he came to New Haven with The Acoustic Warriors a few times in the early 1990s as part of a concert series produced by a friend of mine. I helped with the sound and in various other capacities, but my main function was as archivist, taping the shows for the artists as well as ourselves. I've got a pretty nice collection as a result. One time they played in the dead of winter, and he did not care one bit about having to deal with snow piled up all over. He was wearing snazzy dress shoes, ill-suited for tromping through snow. Somewhere along the line he gave me his card, which has the motto, "Here To Help." I have no idea why. But I liked it, and have repeated it many times. I honored him by doing this, and even if no one caught on (how would they?) and I seemed foolish, I did it anyway.

That's all I have for now; there will be more in a little while. I just wanted to say a few words before I go incommunicado, because I really need to be alone. But before I go, just this one thing. By some inexplicable twist of fate, his song, "How Can I Miss You When You Won't Go Away?" was running in my mind earlier today. I fully expect to find out that was around the time he was leaving this world, which is now a dimmer place for his not being here to delight us anymore. For the rest of my life I will miss him, and I wish he hadn't had to go away.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

2. The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to journeybear For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Default Re: R.I.P. Dan Hicks

A huge loss for music lovers everywhere. I've loved his stuff for years, and was thrilled to see him live in Pittsburgh in the early 2000's.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    I'm nearly overwhelmed with grief upon the passing today of Dan Hicks. ... I just wanted to say a few words before I go incommunicado, because I really need to be alone. ...
    Jb, (hugs) ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hugs-01.gif 
Views:	181 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	143426Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hugs-02.gif 
Views:	223 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	143427Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hugs-03.gif 
Views:	188 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	143428

I found his lyrics in a class by themselves. And have incorporated several of his songs into my repertoire. After hearing his version of "Comes Love," I can hardly stand to listen to anyone else's. The sarcastic, the tongue in cheek, and the lovable all rolled into one. I am very fond of his "jazzed up" stuff and his fluid musicianship. Not to mention that fantastic, easy voice. A couple summers ago I drove a moving van across the US and between Dan Hicks and John Hartford, I hardly needed anyone else.
    As a slight aside, some time ago I saw a TV documentary about the love generation. There was a great deal of Haight Ashbury in it. And as an example of ... I don't know... music of the times? Hippie singers? There was a very young Dan Hicks sitting on the grass in Golden Gate Park singing ( if I remember correctly ) some corny folk song.
    I always wished there were more Dan Hicks. It's sad to think that this is it. If you don't know Him and the Licks, indulge yourself. You're in for a world class treat.

Sad news. I saw him again a few years ago in Santa Fe, and he was in true Hicks form, playing strong guitar in a hot band, singing his great tunes. He'll be missed.
    <><><>><<><><>
    Start slow, fade early

R.I.P. Dan Hicks great band with a sound like no one else. Thanks for all the music.
    Jim Richmond

Terrible news. One of my all-time favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    That's all I have for now; there will be more in a little while. I just wanted to say a few words before I go incommunicado, because I really need to be alone. But before I go, just this one thing. By some inexplicable twist of fate, his song, "How Can I Miss You When You Won't Go Away?" was running in my mind earlier today. I fully expect to find out that was around the time he was leaving this world, which is now a dimmer place for his not being here to delight us anymore. For the rest of my life I will miss him, and I wish he hadn't had to go away.
    Nice tribute, JB; thanks for it.
    "Those who know don't have the words to tell, and the ones with the words don't know so well." - Bruce Cockburn

10. The following members say thank you to Teak for this post:

I always loved the music of Dan Hicks from the time I heard his first album. But at that time I was a young rocker living in San Francisco. One fine day my band members and I drove down to Los Angeles just to mess around. Our lead singer's cousin worked at some recording studio and we were invited to a recording session that day. They were recording a new band named "Dan Hicks and His Hot Licks". Well, we thought it must be some soul band so we passed on it and went down to the beach instead. As soon as that first album came out I realized what a special opportunity I had missed out on.

I did get to hear them live the following year, it might have been at the Fillmore. Anyway, he was a class act. With me too, his song "How Can I Miss You When You Won't Go Away" pops into my mind from time to time.

12. The following members say thank you to Nashville for this post:

a great loss indeed. he was also big influence on my music, mostly swing guitar , in college and since

and in the last year or so, i have been listening a lot to his later albums , hicksville, selected shorts, beatin the heat, the the movie soundtrack-it haappened one bite.

there was something so cool about his nonchalance and phrasing, hip lyrics and grooves.

been a rough year in music talent losses....

We were rehearsing this evening and someone said something about 'canned music, playing on the radio' and my husband just turned to whomever said it and said, "Oh, Dan Hicks died today." My husband has a couple three of Dan's albums and we've seen him two or three times in the past few years when he and the Hot Licks were on tour and stopped by the Fairfield Theater Company. I thought the Lickettes were getting a little long in the tooth, but Dan was still Dan, Hawaiian shirt and all. I was sorry to hear it. Been a lot of death going around lately.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

garded

Wow, this one hit me like a kick in the gut. Totally unexpected......I'd been a fan since first hearing them in high school in the early 70's. And not until 2 yrs ago when they played New Years here did I finally get to see them live. I have several albums and this makes me want to make the push and dig out the old turntable again.

RIP Dan and thanks so much for the great music.

Wow, I hadn't heard - this is very sad news. May he rest in peace.

What a great songwriter and performer. He grew up down the street from my first husband. He, and many Sonoma County, CA early folk type musicians started at a little coffee shop in Santa Rosa, CA called the Apex bookstore in the sixties. It was the first and last of the "beatnik' bookstores in the area. He played in many of our living rooms in those early days. What so impressed me, besides his songwriting talent, was that he was still performing at some big time venues, well into his 70's.

This was always my favorite song. It was kind of like an homage to his own self ... he was a delightful rascal.

Just visiting.

1923 Gibson A jr Paddlehead mandolin
    Newish Muddy M-4 Mandolin
    New Deering Goodtime Special open back 17 Fret Tenor Banjo

Blog Entries

I saw him at my little college in the late 70's and again with the Hot Licks in Minneapolis. I've never seen such a smooth stage presence. He always had the right thing to say and he certainly had command of the music.

The Charlatans Played in My Home town in about 64
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Blog Entries

My sympathies to you. I appreciate hearing your thoughts about this great musician. Take care Journeybear.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

This is a huge loss. Man.

Dan and the band in their prime, no one like them!
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Blog Entries

The person who uploaded that video posits that it may have been a rehearsal for their appearance on The Flip Wilson Show 9/28/1972, because the backdrop is the same in both. I dunno - different song, and the backdrop was probably theirs. Anyway, here 'tis. They're all dressed up, and do some dandy dancing.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

23. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Blog Entries

I did warn you there would be more coming. Here 'tis. It's rather lengthy, and I'm going to post it over in the blog area in case it's too much for the forum. Anyway, enjoy!

Dan Hicks - A Rambling Reminiscence and Rumination

I'm nearly overwhelmed with grief upon the passing of Dan Hicks. He was (I hate having to use that word) one of my biggest musical influences. He was the guy who made me want to be a musician, and served as an example. Dan Hicks, Sid Page, and the rest of The Hot Licks changed my life when they played at my little college in February 1973 - Dan because of the music and his easygoing stage manner, and Sid because of his mandolin playing. These helped point me in some directions with my own mandolin playing, learning how to fit it in with other musicians, a really big help in my development. And Dan's songwriting style helped me with mine, in terms of the chord structures he used and how he incorporated humor into his lyrics, even into the music somewhat. He really opened up possibilities in music that probably had been there all along, but somehow his voice reached me first. I'm forever grateful for him. And I treasure the few times I met him. Each time was a bit of an adventure. He was a born entertainer, to be that entertaining. The few times I've met Dan Hicks were entertaining events in themselves.

Our paths were intertwined. It’s nearly impossible to tell the story of how he touched my life without telling something of my own life as well. This is going to be a bit of a rambling account as a result, so please bear with me. Although we met just a few times, we were interested in similar styles of music. I approached the mandolin from a rocker’s perspective, my sensibilities being affected by the music I was listening to while coming of age during the Sixties. But by the early Seventies, as the general musical trends began to shift, I was subconsciously searching for something new, a new direction for my musical journey, and Dan Hicks was one signpost pointing the way.

Dan Hicks And His Hot Licks showed up at my college one Tuesday evening in winter, setting up shop in the chapel. It was the right size and its old wood offered good acoustics. There were two full-size potted palm trees framing the stage, with a painted South Seas backdrop completing the scene. Dan wore a colorful Hawaiian shirt, the two female singers on either side of him wore slinky little dresses, and the rest of the band wore clothes that were both casual and sharp. They played most of the songs from "Where's The Money?" – which I’d been listening to constantly - and "Striking It Rich," recently released. Every song was polished, smooth, yet full of life. Dan couldn't get over the fact the venue was a chapel. He kept saying, "This is a church?" and "We're playing in a church?" as if he was worried the hand of God would strike him down for playing slightly risqué music on sacred ground. (He needn't have worried; it was a very liberal college, and his music wasn't really all that insouciant.) This show was also one of the first times I’d heard a mandolin played in concert – even though I’d been playing for nearly five years – and Sid Page’s ride on “Where’s The Money?” was a touchstone for me in terms of style, sound, and feel.

I was captivated, enthralled, enchanted, thrilled, excited, to such an extent that I wanted to get on their bus and just go wherever it might go. I didn’t care where we went, what we or I would do – I just wanted that much joy and fun to be in my life. (It would be five years until I got a glimpse of this.) I had no idea at the time that I was experiencing their brief golden era. But I am on record as saying that "Where's The Money?" is one of the best live albums of all time. It is so smooth and tight and dead-on perfect in every way that one tends to forget it was recorded live. It's that well-done. It’s on my list of favorite albums of all time.

After college I did some travelling, some soul-searching, looking for what to do next with my life. I spent a year following the sun, changing where I lived every few months depending on the local weather: winter in Arizona, summer in Colorado, winter in the Bay Area. I went to an open mike hosted by Dan Hicks at a club in Mill Valley in late 1977 or early 1978. He was pretty drunk, and got drunker. He had a bit of a problem speaking, slurring his words, and even got to the point where he was having trouble sitting, nearly slipping off his stool. Even so, he was more funny than annoying. He really was a very charming fellow. I don’t remember what songs I did, nor much of anything else about this evening, other than the patched jeans I had borrowed from a friend to wear so as to make an impression, though I know I didn’t win anything. It was just a strange time, somewhat disappointing to see one of my heroes that messed up. I suppose it was a tough time for him, and thankfully he got through it.

Blog Entries

Part 2

I ended up back in New Haven in the spring. I started hanging out at a communally-run natural foods restaurant called Down To Earth. They had a weekly open mike/song circle every Wednesday. I met a couple of guys who played guitar and fiddle (Lou Florio and Dave Bradford, respectively), who had oddly similar tastes to my own odd tastes – which was surprising, as the music we liked was being made by some pretty obscure people. These were, chiefly, Dan Hicks And His Hot Licks, R. Crumb And The Cheap Suit Serenaders, Holy Modal Rounders, and Leon Redbone. We also had plenty of common ground in bands from the late 60s – The Band, Lovin’ Spoonful, Cream, Beatles, and others – and the 70s, mostly Marshall Tucker. We called ourselves LSD, for Lou, Steve, and Dave. This was particularly apt when we did songs like “White Rabbit,” which our friend Rick Castaldo did to a turn.

After playing a few times at Down To Earth, though, we got asked to stop playing those kinds of songs. Apparently a BMI rep had come calling, threatening legal action unless the place paid licensing fees. My feeling was, if they wanted a cut of our $20 pass-the-hat take, they were welcome to it. But we decided to go along with this. We shifted our focus to older material from the Swing Era that would be in the public domain. We found old suits at Goodwill, following R. Crumb’s lead. We changed the name of the band to Tin Can Alley (a take-off on the name of the songwriting neighborhood in New York, Tin Pan Alley). We added a bass player, David Mix, which helped round out our fairly top-heavy sound. Eventually we added a pedal steel player and female singer, and shifted a bit more toward Western swing, complete with those snappy shirts, a fashion trend that was sweeping the nation in the wake of “Urban Cowboy.” All this without ever having a drummer.

After a couple of good years the band broke up. It’s not important to say why here. But we’d had a good run, had a lot of fun, made a lot of friends and fans, and earned reputations for ourselves. This had also been a crash course in songwriting for me. Analyzing the chord structures of those swing tunes taught me a lot, not only in what was considered standard operating procedure, but in how those tunesmiths incorporated the commonplace and the innovative to produce songs that people found familiar and fresh at the same time. It helped me understand how this stuff worked, and what it was that I liked so much about the music of Dan Hicks (remember him?) and how to write songs along the same lines. I also took a few cues on arranging from the Hot Licks’ example.

A couple years later I got asked to join a band that played jug band music and early, folky blues, Washboard Slim And The Blue Lights. I repaid Peter Menta by hanging that name on him - suits him to a T. This was my longest tenure in a band, and also the most successful band I’ve been in, as we played at a few festivals, including Winnipeg Folk Festival in 1991, my first taste of The Big Time. This came about because we had been doing some gigs with Eric Von Schmidt, whom we lured out of semi-retirement. He became a mentor for me, both musically and personally, as the way he lived his life and played his music set examples for me and the way I did mine. Our friendship crossed generations and social and economic lines, occupying a place where such distinctions didn’t matter. I miss him greatly, too. And his connection to Lucinda Williams led to me striking up a friendship with her, which continues to this day. But these are stories for some other time.

Also during the Nineties my friend Rob Callahan founded the Greater New Haven Acoustic Music Society and began producing shows around New Haven. These were staged at a variety of venues in the area, which made for a sort of architectural tour as well. I volunteered my services as a production assistant, doing all kinds of tasks to take some of the work load off of his shoulders. One of my main functions was archivist – taping the shows for the benefit of the performers, as well as our own. I've got a pretty nice collection of recordings as a result. He brought Dan Hicks to town at least three times, now with The Acoustic Warriors. This all-male band was leaner and harder-driving than The Hot Licks, and all of the members were excellent instrumentalists. One time they played in the dead of winter. Dan did not care one bit about having to deal with snow piled up all over. He was wearing snazzy dress shoes, ill-suited for tromping through snow. Somewhere along the line he gave me his card, which has the motto, "Here To Help." I have no idea why. But I liked it, and have repeated it many times. I honored him by doing this, and even if no one caught on (how would they?) and I seemed foolish, I did it anyway. It was the truth.

Thirty years after my first band broke up, and fifteen years after leaving the jug band, I found myself in a band that incorporated these and other styles, The Love Lane Gang. Playing in this band rekindled the joy of being able to play this kind of music. Even though there were some insanely difficult interpersonal dynamics among band members I had to struggle with nearly constantly, as the band’s name proved to be devastatingly ironic, just about every time we played that bull____ took a back seat, and the fun of playing this music took hold. It caught on with the audiences too, as people from four generations, from less than eight to eighty and more, smiled, danced, and laughed while the music played. We never did any of Dan Hicks’ songs, but a lot of what we did drew on that sort of fingersnappin’ jitterbuggin’ swingin’ bringin’ style. It was great while it lasted, and even nine months after it blew up, people remember the band fondly and wonder where we’re playing next. I guess I should tell them, in Dreamland.

Sad to say, since the turn of the century I haven’t had a lot of direct contact with Dan’s music, though it’s often playing in the background, in the jukebox in my mind. Even so, I never would be where I am today in my musical evolution without Dan Hicks’ influence. There are a few songs in his repertoire that have become part of mine, particularly “I’m An Old Cowhand.” He didn’t write this, of course, but I learned it from him, and do it pretty much his way. Another one is his: "How Can I Miss You When You Won't Go Away?" This pops into my mind often, especially when someone is annoying me and I wish they would leave me alone. By some inexplicable twist of fate this was running in my mind the day he died. I fully expect to find out that was around the time he was leaving this world, which is now a dimmer place for his not being here to delight us anymore. For the rest of my life I will miss him, and I wish he hadn't had to go away.

PS: While selecting videos for this, I learned this was the first song he wrote. Great way to start!

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to journeybear For This Useful Post:

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

I'm not overly familiar with Dan Hicks and the Hot Licks, but JourneyBear - what a tribute. I feel I've been listening to them intently for years after that.

Thank you.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

JB, wonderfully put. When Heidi and I get together for a music jam with certain friends, I pull out "evening breeze" because the women can nail it. Such fun.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

I saw Dan and the Hot Licks at a show in Napa, CA around Christmas of last year (less than 2 months before he died). Had only heard of him, but never seen him. His performance was not the quality I expected, but obviously there was a good reason. He still had a great sense of humor, though.

RIP Dan.
    Ralph
    1984 Flatiron A5Jr; Collings MT; Built an F-style kit
    HogTimeMusic.com // Songs on Bandcamp.com
    "What's Time to a Hog?"

So, so sad. Just heard. One of my biggest heroes.