Thread: Dr. Banjo (ya I know but my question is about Mandolin!)

Striving for adequacy Mark Hawkins's Avatar

Default Dr. Banjo (ya I know but my question is about Mandolin!)

I'm curious if any of you have attended Dr.Banjo jam camps and whether or not you'd recommend them for a fledgling mandophyte? They also advertise an instructional DVD as an introduction to jamming that has piqued my curiosity. I believe that it's a given that playing with others is the best way to progress but due to my varying work schedule I'm rarely able to meet any sort of appointment. For example, I live within 20 miles of Elderly and they have a monthly jam but in the 3 months I've been playing I've yet to make it. Thoughts?

Oh, and ya I'm new to the Cafe. Hello!

Default Re: Dr. Banjo (ya I know but my question is about Mandolin!)

My former teacher, till he moved 700 miles away, teaches at Wernick's Merlefest camp. He plays and teaches a multitude of instruments including mandolin, all well. He also coordinates the jams at Kaufmann Kamp and focuses heavily on how to play well with others. I believe the Merlefest Camp is focused on playing together and would be a good experience for you especially if you have not often played with other people. Some of Wernick's other camps are more banjo focused so you might want to check out the particular session you are interested in. What little I have seen of Pete Wernick he seems decent and approachable. And Keith is as good an instructor as you would wish for. I have not been specifically to the Wernick camps though and my only experience has been with one of his instructors and speaking to him at a festival. Those experiences were good.

3. The following members say thank you to CarlM for this post:

You need to be able to play songs/tunes in the keys of G, A, C, and D, then you will be able to fit in and get something out the Wernick Method Jam Classes. That DVD is a good one for beginning players and advanced beginning players, especially for working on your timing regarding playing music with others. I'm one of the Wernick teachers here in California, currently teaching a bluegrass jamming class. If you get the DVD and are able to play along with it before you sign-up for a Wernick jam class, you will be ahead of the "game."
    John A. Karsemeyer

5. The following members say thank you to JAK for this post:

I liked the DVDs. They are a good starting point for understanding the jam situation. Also Google taborgrass and look at their free resources.

I've been to a few different Dr. Banjo events-- I've been to 3 of the last 5 or so events at Delaware Valley Bluegrass Festival-- these festival events are pretty cool because you get to at least kind of meet the same folks that you're liable to see around the festival grounds and you'll probably find someone who's tent you can pick at afterwards. Heidi does a good job with the class-- it's pretty much the same each time, but it's very hands on. I met some people that I've played with somewhat regularly through that class.

I also did a regular one (ie. weekly over the course of a few months) but the teacher wasn't as well versed in the Wernick method and the class really wasn't very successful. Tied in with some medical issues, that caused me to miss some weeks, I wouldn't necessarily recommend that one. I've been thinking about trying to jump on with another group as finding folks to play with around here has been a bit of a challenge as the only really local jam is on a day of the week that I'm otherwise occupied.

The method is good-- and I agree with the DVD recommendations. They're solid and fun to play with.

I can highly recommend the Merlefest Jam camp. You will get hooked on Jamming with others. Huge range in skill levels amongst attendees. Some of the kids will blow your mind.

I have not had the chance to attend a Wernick method jam camp at any festivals but attended the regular class (2hrs on one day per week for 8 weeks) 7 or 8 times over the course of the last 4 years . I really liked knowing I'd have a dedicated 2-3hours each week to jam with people about my intermediate skill level. Big shout out to Jim "Duck" Adkins in Marietta GA. I attended one of the weekend long classes and it felt like we tried to squeeze in too much in the shorter time. If it had been my first class and not my 8th, I don't think I would have gotten as much out of it, though it was fun. I strongly encourage beginning mando-philes to try a class at least once. Combined with the 3 DVDs that are available (slow jam, intermediate and original jam) really helped as well.

10. The following members say thank you to MSalisbury for this post: