Thread: M(G)ASsing ...

Default M(G)ASsing ...

It seems the urge for a new instrument has set in. I really don't know what, but the itch is there. I've been looking at citterns and 12 strings for the last few weeks and have really got a hold. We have enough mandolins, guitars, and an OM already, so thinking something different. Not in any rush, but looking around and taking some time to think about it.

Any cittern or 12 sting players out there? What's your take or any recommendations? Video links are of course welcome!!!

John
    ... not all those who wander are lost ...

Default Re: M(G)ASsing ...

Once you get into the world of 5 and 6 courses, a lot of what you're looking for in an instrument depends on what you want to use it for. For about a year, I had a Martin 12 string that I had effectively tuned DGDADA - A GDAD bouzouki with an additional course above and below. It worked well, but I found that, for the way I played it (a mix of melodic play on the upper four courses and some counterpoint stuff, with honestly very little strumming work), that bottom low D course was really just unnecessary. Morever, the 25.5" guitar scale wasn't conducive to that preferred style of play. What I personally look for in a cittern is more of a short-scale GDADA type of system - something that allows you to play convincing bouzouki style accompaniment stuff with the melodic capabilities added by that higher A course - but you might have different preferences.

I think citterns and 12 strings are awesome! You can also hear Roger Tallroth, of Vasen, provide good examples of really awesome 12 string guitar stuff.

My recommendation is to take some time to think about how you play your guitars and OM, and think about what you'd like to do with a cittern or a 12 string guitar - my guess is that you'll find some answers at the end of your meditation.

I got interested in citterns when I heard Gerald Trimble's First Flight record. Robin Williamson used citterns on several of his records. I wanted one. The price for a Sobell was too high for my budget. So, being a former dulcimer maker, also a couple guitars, I thought I'd build my own. It has a 24 inch scale. Flat top with a tailpiece and a floating bridge. I've tried several setups, octave pairs and unisons. I decided I liked unisons. I strung it with a low D at first, tuned DGDAD. I bought Doc Rossi's book of tunes. He did the tunes with a tuning of GDADG. That has become my standard. Tuning up to GDADA resulted in a lot of broken high A strings. Recently I tuned it GDADF. That gives a minor feel that I like. Pretty Polly just falls out without much of a push. I like to play in finger style on it, as well as with a flat pick. It has the quality of a zouk when played with a flat pick. I'm a guitar player and this is an English guitar. It gives me another voice.

My current 10-string is an SOS tuned CCGGDDAAEE and covers MC (low strings are .072) through OM registers. My previous 10-string was a Sobell tuned GGDDAAEEAA and played the upper OM and bouzouki registers... I prefer the SOS since I use to get those low Classical notes and yet have the versatility of the OM for fiddle-tunes.
    The Sobell Scale of 20" was easier on my small hands, the SOS is a 23" Scale, but I get by.
    The Doc Rossi school of cittern playing seems to lean more to the short-scale GGDDAAEEAA tuning and variations GDADA GDADG etc.
    When I play guitar I do prefer my 12-string to the 6-string.

Here's a couple of 10-stringers - a Crump C-III and a Vega 305 Cylinderback Mandolute - in my pre software recording days...

Well, you could go off the beaten path with a "Latmandola" which is something I've always been interested in, but never had the courage (or finances) to explore:

https://silkwoodmusic.wordpress.com/...s-not-a-banjo/

Dig that bass string boom: