Thread: mad dick

Default mad dick

from "the complete country dance tunes - playford's dancing master" - 1657 edition - played on a mid-missouri m-4 mandolin

https://soundcloud.com/bill-kilpatrick/mad-dick-1

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to billkilpatrick For This Useful Post:

Default Re: mad dick

Quote Originally Posted by billkilpatrick View Post
    from "the complete country dance tunes - playford's dancing master" - 1657 edition - played on a mid-missouri m-4 mandolin

https://soundcloud.com/bill-kilpatrick/mad-dick-1
    Great tune, I like the way you play it, good rhythm too.

I just wish that some of these neat old tunes didn't have such odd-sounding names... there are a number of such tunes I'd like to record and put on my YouTube page but some of my current batch of musical cohorts (mostly choir members etc who aren't familiar with the old trad dance-tunes) would undoubtedly make incorrect assumptions about the names, which would require endless explaining that "No, it doesn't mean..." etc.

Anyway, great pickin', enjoyable to listen to.

Great stuff, Bill! Nice to hear you again.

5. The following members say thank you to Bruce Clausen for this post:

Probably named at a time when it hadn't yet acquired the second meaning. Probably ditto for the spotted you know what dessert in the English cuisine.

7. The following members say thank you to pointpergame for this post:

here's another ditty from the playford collection

https://soundcloud.com/bill-kilpatri...tain-love-will
    Last edited by billkilpatrick; Feb-09-2016 at 5:46am.

9. The following members say thank you to billkilpatrick for this post:

Bill: Where did you find the book? I looked on IMSLP and it is a different one (I think).
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Bill: Where did you find the book? I looked on IMSLP and it is a different one (I think).
    I'm pretty sure Bill is using the wonderful Jeremy Barlow edition of the complete Playford tunes, published by Faber: Link.

I own this book, and it's utterly hypnotic -- just sit down with a mandolin and randomly dive in picking tune after tune for hours on end. Having them all in one place means that one can pick them on merit without knowing which onces are obscure and which ones everybody else plays. Barlow also meticulously notes every single variation and notational difference between the 17 Playford editions, but manages to do it in such a way that the tunes are still accessible and readable.

Martin

Thanks, Martin.

I see quite a few of the Dancing Master books on IMSLP tho none dated 1657. The earliest and first edition seems to be 1670.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Thanks, Martin.

I see quite a few of the Dancing Master books on IMSLP tho none dated 1657. The earliest and first edition seems to be 1670.
    The first edition is 1651, and that's also the only one called "The English Dancing Master". The publication history is rather confusing, as in addition to the 18 main edition there were also various supplements and second volumes published over the years.

The explanation for the discrepancy between 1657 and 1665 is given by Barlow:

"Playford advertised a new edition in 1657, yet all surviving copies of the third edition are dated 1665. The Glasgow University copy however has a different supplement (3A), as well as a few differences in the main body of the book, and is therefore assumed to be a copy of the 1657 printing, even thouhg it lacks the title page and date."

"Mad Dick" is indeed from that unique 1657 supplement preserved only in the Glasgow copy, and that is the only source for that tune as it is not included in any subsequent Playford edition.

Martin

14. The following members say thank you to Martin Jonas for this post:

martin's right - i'm playing tunes from this edition:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	playfordsenglishcountry.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	143487

Peace. Love. Mandolin. Gelsenbury's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Great to hear you Bill. I like the background images on your SoundCloud too. They evoke the good life and many good reasons for playing mandolin - portability being just one of them!

There are so many great tunes in Playford. They deserve more exposure.

17. The following members say thank you to Gelsenbury for this post:

Really nice interpretation and playing.

Some synchronicity at work here I think. I'm slowly going page by page through this great Barlow edition for a project I'm working on. Last week I stopped on page 44, the home of Mad Dick. Imagine my surprise when following this thread I opened up my copy, checked the index, and it led me right to my last page.

Thank to Bill for this fine recording.

John G.

19. The following members say thank you to John Goodin for this post:

This Kid Needs Practice Bill Clements's Avatar

Here it is for US buyers.
    Great tune. Nice strong finish, Bill.
    "Music is the only noise for which one is obliged to pay." ~ Alexander Dumas

21. The following members say thank you to Bill Clements for this post:

Thanks, Bill. That sounds like the one to get and the price is right.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

I ordered it so you and I can play duets (or trios with Martin) over Skype. Or maybe I just have to come and visit both of you one of these days. Long over due.

Of course, I should also get out to Michigan to visit my good cyber friend, the other Bill.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

I ordered it so you and I can play duets (or trios with Martin) over Skype. Or maybe I just have to come and visit both of you one of these days. Long over due.

Of course, I should also get out to Michigan to visit my good cyber friend, the other Bill.
    planning to tour europe?

This Kid Needs Practice Bill Clements's Avatar

Sounds great, Jim! I could show you the Ditson I'm having a lot of fun with. (I have another Cohen in the works, too...)
    "Music is the only noise for which one is obliged to pay." ~ Alexander Dumas

Quote Originally Posted by JL277z View Post
    I just wish that some of these neat old tunes didn't have such odd-sounding names... there are a number of such tunes I'd like to record and put on my YouTube page but some of my current batch of musical cohorts (mostly choir members etc who aren't familiar with the old trad dance-tunes) would undoubtedly make incorrect assumptions about the names, which would require endless explaining that "No, it doesn't mean..."
    A lot of the Playford tunes have perfectly valid alternate titles you could use instead. The Playfords sometimes changed tune titles over the many editions, and the tunes were also often incorporated as the melody of various popular songs, and you can use that name instead. The days its canonical to use Playford's earliest title as the 'official' name, but the others aren't wrong. If you really like a tune, a little research might turn up a more salable alias.

I'd start with the tune index at the back of Jeremy Barlow's Complete Country Dance Tunes.