Thread: Tuners for this Spanish mandolin?

Default Tuners for this Spanish mandolin?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mandolin.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	143444

I got this Spanish mandolin from a friend which came without any hardware but I'd like to get it up and running as it has loads of playwear on it, making me think that it must sound decent!

I'm having difficulty finding tuners for it. They are spaced at 24mm centres but all the ones I've found online have a standard 23mm spacing.

Does anyone know where I could get tuners spaced at 24mm?

Also is it feasible to buy a set of individual tuners rather than the strips of four?

thanks!

Default Re: Tuners for this Spanish mandolin?

Did you heck to see if that maker is still in business in Madrid. I can't see what the name is on the label but that might be your best best. The mandolin does not look all that old so it may be possible. Otherwise, I would check with local luthiers you may know and see if they have any sets with that spacing in their parts box.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

You can cut the tuners apart in the center of the mounting screw holes and they will work fine. I have done this many times. You can also use individual tuners, there is no problem as I am guessing you don't care if you drill a small hole for a screw or two.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

4. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

These are 23.6 mm. Make sure they really are 24 and not slightly less. You could also contact Rubner and see if they make any in that configuration.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Yes I searched online for the maker but couldn't find anything. I think it's "Gurique Veliamar Madrid" it says.

I checked the spacing very carefully with a digital caliper and it is 24mm so the 23.6 would probably not squeeze in.

Cutting the tuners is certainly an option and something I could quite happily live with on this mandolin if I can't locate any correctly sized strips.

The maker's name is Enrique Veliamar. Still not much info. A mention here and one here.

I would suggest someone who deals in Spanish guitars but more than likely they would not carry Spanish-made mandolins. The mandolin is just not very popular in Spain.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    The mandolin is just not very popular in Spain.
    Very true!

Of those Spanish-built instruments you do find, however, they have (as far as I can tell) all used imported tuning hardware - mainly stuff of German origin, or (more recently) Asian manufacture. Many instruments made in the 50's and up to early 70's used tuners from East Germany... and I know some of those had 24.2mm spacing. You can sometimes find them on Ebay.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Thanks, I'll maybe see if there's any of the German stuff to be found on Ebay.

And thanks Jim for the links to Enrique Veliamar. Still remarkably little information to be found on this maker!

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    You can also use individual tuners, there is no problem as I am guessing you don't care if you drill a small hole for a screw or two.
    This is a good idea:

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_...d3_Tuners.html

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_...d3_Tuners.html

You'll have to get 8 tuners though.

[QUOTE=DavidKOS;1470832]This is a good idea:

Thanks David. Looks ideal. I wonder if they're small enough to fit a mandolin headstock or are they specifically for guitar?

[QUOTE=donaidh;1470857]
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    This is a good idea:

Thanks David. Looks ideal. I wonder if they're small enough to fit a mandolin headstock or are they specifically for guitar?
    Those should fit - they are not large tuners.

The other option is filling the existing pegholes, and drilling new ones for modern mandolin tuners.

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    You can cut the tuners apart in the center of the mounting screw holes and they will work fine. I have done this many times. You can also use individual tuners, there is no problem as I am guessing you don't care if you drill a small hole for a screw or two.
    If I cut the tuners in the centre of a mounting screw hole do I drill new screw holes elsewhere in the tuners or will a larger screw placed between the newly opened screw hole be able to bridge the gap and secure the tuners effectively?

Another option to consider would be to plug up the current holes and re-drill for 23mm spacing. That way you have a giant selection of modern tuners to choose from.

edit-Just now saw David's same suggestion above.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by mandobassman View Post
    Another option to consider would be to plug up the current holes and re-drill for 23mm spacing. That way you have a giant selection of modern tuners to choose from.

edit-Just now saw David's same suggestion above.
    Would you plug with wood/dowels or is there a stronger filler or synthetic material?

I have a Peavey Mandolin that uses guitar style individual tuners. looks just like the ones peavey used on their parlor guitars

Quote Originally Posted by donaidh View Post
    If I cut the tuners in the center of a mounting screw hole do I drill new screw holes elsewhere in the tuners or will a larger screw placed between the newly opened screw hole be able to bridge the gap and secure the tuners effectively?
    The screw supplied with the tuner will still hold the tuner and screw into the same hole. They are counter sunk screws and you are not moving the spacing of the tuner enough to make a difference. I have done this to sever old Gibson's before you could buy tuners that fit, including mine. With a vintage instrument I would rather drill the tuner plate to fit the hole rather than drill the instrument. If the holes don't line up it's your decision which to drill.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by donaidh View Post
    Would you plug with wood/dowels or is there a stronger filler or synthetic material?
    I'd use wood.

Thanks for all the great tips. I feel confident now to go and get this little mando sorted out!