Thread: North Carolina

Default North Carolina

Can anyone give me a heads up ? About the Asheville area , that you can go and get your hands on several different Mandolin brands?
    Thanks

Default Re: North Carolina

In my experience, finding good quality stuff is rather difficult in the area but it's been a few years since I lived up there. There used to be Blue Ridge Music in Hendersonville but I think it is closed now.
    I bought my Flatbush from Danny Bishop in Fletcher. His website is http://www.fiddleandfret.com/
    I think you have to make an appointment to go by if I remember correctly. That's probably the best place I know of as far as high quality stuff.

Some other shops like Musicians Workshop in Asheville, Tempo Music in Hendersonville, Acoustic Corner in Black Mountain may have a few things, but probably low end and hit or miss on selection. Same with Celestial Mountain Music in Brevard.
    Appalachian Music Shoppe in Boone is where I bought my Larrivee guitar and they have a few brands of mandolins. Bit of a drive from Asheville.
    Harry & Jeanie West here in Statesville (2 hours from Asheville) has a lot of entry to mid-level stuff and a few higher end.

As much music as there is in the area, you'd think there would be more high quality shops. I'm curious as well to hear if anybody else knows of better places in the area.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

I was in statesville last fall and went to Harry and Jeanes and they had a fair number of quality instruments.I had a ce ward mandolin that I needed info on.

Not much in that area for really good mandos. Acoustic Corner in Black Mtn. does have some new stuff like Eastmans. In fact I can't think of a good place in all of North Carolina where you can go and sit down and play various brands. You got to head into Tenn. to see the good stuff.

5. The following members say thank you to f5loar for this post:

Smoky Mountain Guitars is not too far outside of Asheville, maybe 45 mins. Check their website before you make the drive.
    "They say the ocean, she is a woman, who waits for her man to come home." M.Houser

Smoky Mountain Guitars is definitely worth the drive. The best selection of really great bluegrass guitars outside of Nashville, and their mandolin collection ain't too shabby either.
    ~David Chernack

2003 Lawrence Smart A5 #145
    2011 Kentucky KM-1000
    2010 Kentucky KM-150
    1961 Silvertone 3/4 octave mandolin conversion
    2015 Eastman E20D

Appalachian Music in Boone has/has had some decent stuff, though Eastman and Morgan Monroe, etc. seem to dominate. Can't blame them, these are what sells. Plus, the store has some cool old b&w photos about - Monroe, J&J, early festivals, etc.

10. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:

Fiddle and Fret website is not always up to date. Danny is a dealer for Colling, Ellis, Pava. He trades a lot and you never know what else may be there!
    Russ Jordan

Less than an hours drive south (Campobello, SC) down I-26 will get you to Walter Johnson's shop, where he makes June mandolins and guitars. That would be worth the side-trip.

Thanks everybody, good info!

On a side topic...are there any Asheville/Brevard jams next week (March 15, 16) when I'm passing through?