Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Monroe police report

Default Re: Monroe police report

In the year 1985, on this police report, one of Bill's F5 mandolins was valued at $75K. Is that what they were selling for then, or is the price reflecting that it was one of Bill's personal mandolins?
    John A. Karsemeyer

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    In the year 1985, on this police report, one of Bill's F5 mandolins was valued at $75K. Is that what they were selling for then, or is the price reflecting that it was one of Bill's personal mandolins?
    Probably both. As in F-5s were selling for that much because Bill played one.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Quote Originally Posted by seg View Post
    Colonel Mustard, in the living room, with the firepoker.
    Darn. I had professor plum in the library with the candle stick.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay

Quote Originally Posted by David Lewis View Post
    Probably both. As in F-5s were selling for that much because Bill played one.
    Ricky Skaggs bought his July 9 Loar in 1996 for around $35K. I know of another Loar that my friend bought in 2003 for $89K. So I think the price of the $75K was due to Bill's ownership as part of the provenance.

5. The following members say thank you to Zissou Intern for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
    Ricky Skaggs bought his July 9 Loar in 1996 for around $35K. I know of another Loar that my friend bought in 2003 for $89K. So I think the price of the $75K was due to Bill's ownership as part of the provenance.
    Fair enough. Thank you.

7. The following members say thank you to David Lewis for this post:

Monroe's grandson, Jim. Did he continue in music? (Just out of curiosity.) I presume he's Bill's son's son. I don't want personal details, etc, but what happened to him?

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Have to consider the source for that valuation. Whoever filled out this initial report would have been told the instruments' worth by someone, and that may have been Della. It could have been based on an insurance policy's figure. And provenance very likely played a part, of course.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to journeybear For This Useful Post:

Zissou wrote above:
    "Ricky Skaggs bought his July 9 Loar in 1996 for around $35K."

Ricky paid $46k for that one.

12. The following members say thank you to J.Albert for this post:

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David Lewis View Post
    Monroe's grandson, Jim. Did he continue in music? (Just out of curiosity.) I presume he's Bill's son's son. I don't want personal details, etc, but what happened to him?

He's around, in the Nashville area I think; busy with life...yadayadayada...one of my Facebook buddies...he posts from time to time...really nice guy!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

14. The following members say thank you to DataNick for this post:

Thanks for the accurate purchase price. I remember hearing or reading the touching story of Skaggs purchasing that mandolin when Big Mon was near the end, but I was off by 20%! It is interesting that the price of a Loar doubled in 7 years.