Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pro Plec 1.5

Default Re: Pro Plec 1.5

Better late than never StopStop!

I bought a bag of 12 ProPlec 1.5 rounded triangle about 12 years ago from Elderly.
    Still using them when I want a mellow sound from the Holoubek.
    Great picks.
    Since then, I discovered Dunlop Ultex Jazz 3.
    Very consistent and very comfortable, once I got used to the smaller size.
    I now use them for all genre.
    D MAC S

I used ProPlec's for a long time, but the issue I had with them is they seemed to get scratched up really easily and and up creating a lot of friction with the strings. I had to polish them all the time. I shopped around a bit, and I have been playing Wegen M150's for about a year. They never seem to change over time, and i get decent tone out of them.
    Follow the Flatt Stanley Incident on Facebook

Listen to original tune "When You Fly" by my old band The Kindreds

They have in fact changed in the last year: they now have a matte finish, and they measure a little thicker on a caliper, though that can be due to warpage. Out of the last dozen I bought (and returned) only one was truly flat and it measured 1.5mm. I kept it and polished it out so it now has the same feel as an older one, but otherwise they're not the same pick. I wrote to the company but they didn't reply. Shame because they were by far the best deal in a large triangle pick, and easy to modify to your own desires.

Bummer. Well, at least I know I'm not just confused, or seeing things that aren't there, thanks Doug. The search continues. I'll have to give the Ultex & Wegans a shot.
    2004 Gibson F5 Alan Bibey Signature Series
    c1930 Gibson A
    Eastman MDO 305
    2017 RAG F #29
    Kay A
    NoName "finish it yourself" Ebay beater F

A great pick for the money, but I prefer Caseine picks. I use it alot with my electric and also practice with it on my other mandos.

The last pack I bought was pretty warped, but they didn't really bother me much. I did switch to Apollo picks though instead, but the price to quality ratio of Pro Plecs is sure hard to beat warped or not.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

I'm actually using a ProPlec now with the Eastman, and letting the Apollo (Mike Marshall) take a rest while really getting used to it again. (Primarily because I may not pack the MM it to the mandolin camp next month, or at least not be using it as I wander from class to jam, or whatever. It's the kind of thing I'd kick myself over losing.)

Anyway I do [still] like these picks, and used them on recommendation from Mike Marshall in his AW class, before his endorsed Apollo picks came out. They have a good, darker sound (compared to Primetone 1.5, say), definitely not quite the clarity of those PEI picks from Apollo, but the price is nice.

Both of mine came flat and have stayed that way. They are kind of a matte finish.

I really do require my flatpicks to be flat. I got a warped casein pick that was a disappointment. I just can't adapt to the different feel of upstroke to downstroke. (And, no amount of use or external methods were able to get it flat and have it stay there, so that was my first and last adventure with that material.)
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to keith.rogers For This Useful Post:

there is no better pick for the price.....they dont last that long... but they dont have to .. you could use 1 a week and still be ahead

I had actually switched from Blue Chips to the Pro Plec after hearing Mike's recommendation (and being very skeptical). Took a little time to grow on me and then I loved it.

I do agree that the Apollo MM pick has more clarity. It somehow has more highs AND lows, to my ear anyway. I have 3 of them, 1 for each mandolin and a backup because one time I thought I lost one and found it later.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

Blog Entries

Has anyone tried the free picks from JustStrings.com ? They came with some light strings for my guitar.

They are a little more slippery than the Dunlop's, and have a nicer sound than my GHS pick. Not as warm as the Blue Chip but right now it's my favorite thin pick.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

12. The following members say thank you to DougC for this post:

I wasn't a huge fan of the juststrings picks. The free Banjo Ben Clark picks are pretty good, though.
    It's not that life is short, but that we waste so much of it.

--Seneca (paraphrased)

Blog Entries

My current opinion of the juststrings.com pick was without comparison. It did sound pretty good. However this discussion got me to do a 'serious listening' with some other picks. On the guitar, which I have not done as I have with the mandolin.

Anyway my selection was among my Blue Chip jazz 35, Dunlop Ultex 1.14 and my old Jazz Mando ProPlec 1.5mm. They are different shapes, and I did like a very thin pick for the very light strings. But the ProPlec was clearly the best, especially on the high thin strings.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

Blog Entries

Larry, I have the TAD3R 40 but your TAD3R 50 would certainly have a fuller tone. I may look into one of those. Presently, I am using my Wegen M150’s and the V-Pick Saga mandolin pick, which is also 1.5.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

The search to replace the Classic Proplec (CP) continues, and may have led me back to... the Proplec. Huh?

I just got finished stewarding the Traveling Pick Sampler, hoping to find a CP substitute. There were some very interesting picks in there, but nothing quite like the CP. So I contacted the company on a whim and heard back from them. Apparently, as far as they know the material in the pick has not changed, just the finish (although they purchase the raw material, and acknowledged that it is possible the manufacturer could have changed it). At any rate they were having problems with the CP warping as it sat on dealers shelves. The material is hydroscopic apparently, and the absorption of moisture from the air was causing this warpage. Their solution was to change the finish on the picks, as they found a matte finish did not have that issue.

So there you have it. I will be attempting to polish a New Proplec back into a Classic and see how that works.
    2004 Gibson F5 Alan Bibey Signature Series
    c1930 Gibson A
    Eastman MDO 305
    2017 RAG F #29
    Kay A
    NoName "finish it yourself" Ebay beater F

Resident Hack

Quote Originally Posted by mandobassman View Post
    I think the ProPlec's are a good choice if you have a loud mandolin.
    I do and the ProPlec recently found it's way back onboard, after a Wegen being primary for over a year. I had some new strings with some brightness that needed to be tamed.
    What I play
    2021 Skip Kelley Two-Point
    Eastwood 'Ricky'
    Morgan Monroe RT-1E
    Epiphone Genesis guitars
    Various Basses

18. The following members say thank you to Mitch Stein for this post:

Blog Entries

It is astounding how much difference there is from pick to pick. And sound differences that can be heard by the audiences. Its crazy.

Most notably I have taken to including in my set lists which pick I use for which tune, and for which venue. So when we do a gig at the museum and play Shenandoah I use this pick, and when we play Pig Ankle Rag at the contra dance I use that pick. Funny, and it feels sometimes crazy to explain, but it really does make a difference.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

20. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post: