Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pro Plec 1.5

Default Pro Plec 1.5

Well, what do you folks think about these ol' pro Plec 1.5 mm picks? I set mine down for quite awhile, I picked it back up and I gotta say I like it better than I did before. Any other thicknesses I should try? What you folks think? Any other picks comparable or better?
    "Aint no chance if you don't take it"- Guy Clark

Taylor Guitars
    Fender Guitars
    1922 Martin Mandolin
    1954 Gibson EM200
    Kentucky KM250

Default Re: Pro Plec 1.5

I like their tone but I can't seem to get enough volume from them. Maybe it's my picking technique. I feel that you need to have the pick almost perfectly flat against the strings for these to be loud enough. I like to pick with more of a forward angle. I really like them for playing around the house, but not at jams. A little too "dark" as far as tone goes and not loud enough in those situations. But like I said, I do really like the tone when playing around the house. Maybe in a recording situation too but I don't really do much of that.

I like the 1.4 or 1.5 mm Dunlop Primetone (sculpted) large triangles a lot. Also the 1.14 Dunlop Ultex. Both of those are a lot brighter and louder than the pro plec. Those are my go to picks in a jam. Also like the Dunlop 208 and Blue Chip TAD 80.

3. The following members say thank you to Stevo75 for this post:

gtani7 

I like it better than I initially did, but I don't use it very often. Currently my go to picks are the opaque brown 1.4 Dunlop Primetones and the beveled BC TAD60-1R. I also use the large triangular Dunlop Ultex and Clayton Ultems in various sizes, to which I usually add a bevel.

The Pro Plec sounds dead to me. I like the shape and feel, but it sounds dark and wimpy.

To me the pro plec is ole reliable. I have wegans and blue chips, but if I were to lose these I know Ive got half a dozen pro plecs in the cigar box. So, are they my favorite? No, but theyre good picks!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around and play mandolin.”

Awesome I have been jamming with a group and will try those prime tones.
    "Aint no chance if you don't take it"- Guy Clark

Taylor Guitars
    Fender Guitars
    1922 Martin Mandolin
    1954 Gibson EM200
    Kentucky KM250

Pro Plecs are pretty good. That's my second choice. I prefer the JT nylon and celcon picks.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

I think the ProPlec's are a good choice if you have a loud mandolin. I never liked them mainly because I use flatwound strings and the FW strings and ProPlec combo is very dead sounding. I play in a band with a guy who plays a superb sounding Smith Creek F5. It is a incredibly responsive instrument and has volume to spare, so it doesn't take a hard playing style to get a strong sound from it. He uses a ProPlec and it sounds wonderful in his hands. But they are not the loudest pick around and are very warm sounding so I think a very responsive instrument is needed to use them in a live band situation. Otherwise you could be fighting for volume all night.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by mandobassman View Post
    I think the ProPlec's are a good choice if you have a loud mandolin. I never liked them mainly because I use flatwound strings and the FW strings and ProPlec combo is very dead sounding.
    I know you like flatwounds, so what pick have you been most satisfied with? I've switched to flatwounds and am currently using the proPlec.

I recently started using a Blue Chip TAD3R 50. It really provides the nicest balance of clean treble response without sounding "bright" and a strong, full low response. I love the feel and smoothness.
    Larry Hunsberger

Ibanez PF5

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandobassman For This Useful Post:

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

I feel the same way about my Golden Gate pick. I set it down for a while and came back to it recently and like it more now.

Good info guys great oppinions, what's the benefit of flat wounds? Aren't golden gates very similar to pro Plec?

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

https://themandolinstore.com/product...in-goldengate/

I have never tried a Pro Plec but here is some info on GG.

If you like a simple, rounded pick that won't break the bank you can't go wrong with one of them.

The Pro Plec 1.5 is good value for money. You can buy a packet of 12 for around $10.

In the dark days before I discovered FW74 strings I used them a lot, especially for bluegrass.
    Since I discovered the flatwounds I use a Wegen BG 1.4 for all types of music, occasionally Dunlop sculpted Prime Tone 1.3
    for Jigs/Reels
    D MAC S

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee Guy View Post
    Good info guys great oppinions, what's the benefit of flat wounds? Aren't golden gates very similar to pro Plec?
    The main benefit of flatwounds, IMO, is significantly less, almost non-existent string noise from finger callouses and a more tame response from the wound strings. They have much less metallic "twang". Plus, because there is no space between the windings for dirt and finger oils to build up, they last much, much longer than roundwound strings. Once they settle in from being new, they pretty much sound the same a year or so later. Flatwounds strings are wound with stainless steel and don't corrode like bronze does.

About the ProPlec vs. Golden Gate comparison, ProPlec makes a model that is a similar size and shape to the new Dawg pick which is similar to the Golden Gate, but the Golden Gate is much more rounded where the ProPlec has a bit more of a point. Plus they are made of different materials, so even if they look similar they can and do sound very different.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	143654Click image for larger version. 

Views:	188 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	143655Click image for larger version. 

Views:	214 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	143656
    Larry Hunsberger

Ibanez PF5

I like the proplec in the the triangle shape well enough. They do tend to be a little harder to get volume out of compared to say a BC CT55. I found that modifying the bevel to closely match that of the CT55 produces more volume and they become quite similar for a fraction of the price.
    Lennie Lowery
    Kentucky KM-1500
    The Loar LM-700
    J Bovier A5 Special
    MK Dragonfly Flame Custom

The Proplec does come alive with a speed bevel. Easily added with a dremel or an emory board.

Primetone 1.4 triangles are my goto for just about everything, the Proplec 1.5 triangle is my #2, I use the proplec when I want a darker sound, which is sometimes. I feel like I have to dig in harder with the proplec, so while I like the sound, I don't like the feel because it feels like it slows me down. I want something like a proplec that slides over strings easier, queue the BC and Wegen fans now... :-)
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

great thread. i've been a proplec user for a long time. my wife got me a BC TAD3R 60 which is very similar in size and shape to the BC. Its a little thinner. I like the darkness of the Proplec, but like a lot of you i too find i need to dig in a little harder at times to bring out the note better. The BC works better all around with a somewhat brighter tone, but still has the full thick sound.

i had never beveled a Proplec, just tried it because of this thread and i'm amazed at how bright you can get one to sound. actually took one and beveled all 3 sides a little different, trying to find that special bevel.

i've tried the Dawg and Golden Gates but i can't get much of anything from them-i'm sure a lot of it is my technique and not the picks fault.

d

Blog Entries

I have been using my Proplecs a lot in recent months, focusing on developing more volume while I play. I love the tone they get. Whereas the BCs are loud, they lack a little tonal depth in my opinion. I also love my Dawg--it fits my hand perfectly--but have never been able to use a GG like you daryl.
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

I think Mike Marshall uses the ProPlec 1.5
    seem to remember him discussing it on the artistworks program last year.
    I stand to be corrected, last year was a long time ago and my mind may be playing tricks on me...........again
    d

I brought this up in another thread a while back. I like the ProPlec 1.5 BUT they are not consistent. Dale Ludewig gave me one a year or so back that was perfect. It had just the right amount of warmth and still had attack. So, I bought a 12 pack of them on line. The ones I got are noticeably thicker to the point that I find them completely unusable. Too dark and no attack at all. I used a caliper to check and found them to be way off their designated 1.5 spec. They sit in a bag on my desk now. I tried to sand down one side to get them to be right but thought "this is stupid, I'm not going to waste hours modifying a pick". I bought some PrimeTone 1.5 and they are perfect in size and mostly sound great. They are a little brighter that the ProPlec but they are all consistent. So, I use the PrimeTone now.
    http://www.amazon.com/Dunlop-513P1-5...3RRGEDK9665E62
    Gibson 2016 "Harvey" Fern
    Collings MT Mandola
    Weber 2017 Bitterroot A20-F Octave Mandolin
    Crump BIII Irish Bouzouki
    Petersen Level 2 Irish Bouzouki
    Eastman MDC805 Mandocello
    Collings 0002H
    Five & Six String Banjos
    Lots of other Guitars
    http://www.shadowfields.com

Mike Compton uses the 1.5 ProPlec triangle. Nuff said!

I took one of the rounded Triangular Pro Plec 1.5 (PRO-346) and shaped the leading edge to give it a "right handed" speed bevel, then polished it with jewelers rouge. The difference in sound quality was pretty amazing.

For a pick that costs about 1.00 each, I'm getting sound similar ones that cost $7 - $15 a pick.

'I like the ProPlec 1.5 BUT they are not consistent."

An old thread, I know, (and a pick thread to boot ) but I have a question for the PropPlec aficionados out there.

One of my mandolins came with a ProPlec that I modified a bit, and when I want [I]that[I] sound I grab it. I use it probably half the time. _I wanted one for another mando & bought a pack but they are noticeably different from my original, which has a shiny surface & feels a bit more... brittle perhaps- harder. The new pack have a dull/matte surface and feel softer/more grippy. They sound OK with a bevel but not the same. Has anyone had a similar experience? Maybe they changed formulas? Maybe they have different lines for different outlets or something?

When I google "pro plec mandolin picks" 5 images come up & I can see the difference there. The pick image from Musicians Friend looks like the old one, and the image from Strings by Mail looks like the new.

I have other picks for other sounds, but does anyone know of another brand with a similar sound, if ProPlec is indeed too inconsistent to rely on?

thanks!