Thread: Another case thread - specific needs

Default Another case thread - specific needs

Hey everyone,

I've read and re-read all the case threads I can find on here. I am looking for a new case, am frugal, and have a pretty specific list of what I need.

I have an F5 style, use a K&K temporary mount (so need the room on the treble side ideally so I won't have to remove it), and want some storage for nippers, strings, winder, tuner, and more. I am a big fan of the aesthetic of the rectangular suitcases, don't mind a little weight, but would also like the backpack straps option for the motorcycle. Strapping to bike is an option as I have done this with the rectangle.

Am down to one mando with the original Weber shaped case and I just don't like shaped cases, mostly due to the lack of storage.

I don't want to spend >$500 so Caltons, Prices, etc. are out.

Don't want zippers.

For my use, temperature is rarely an issue, I store mando on wall hanger at home, but gig and practice regularly for short distances, mostly in the car but often on the bike (I am soo glad I'm not a bass player).

Will rarely, if ever, fly with it.

Based on my reading here, top of my list are Travelite and Hiscox. I realize I can't backpack the hiscox but I could shoulder strap across my back <Removed by Moderator, this is a family forum>.

Ideally, I would like to replace my weber shaped with a weber rectangle but my efforts here have failed to find one since they only come with ferns and value is a mystery. If I went that route I would probably get a travelite also. Two cases may be my future plan, but am searching for the do-it-all, even if that means a case cover so I have two options of quick and easy vs. more protection for those travel events.

I know, I know, I'm a demanding SOB. Thoughts? Thank you!
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Feb-15-2016 at 8:36am.

Default Re: Another case thread - specific needs

I think your spot on with the Hiscox; clips for shouldering, plenty of storage for loose gear,
    and one of the toughest cases on the market for under $200.
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

Hiscox, I agree is a great case. Worth way more than they cost. I carry all my mandolins in one when I'm out on a gig.
    John

2012 Collins MT-2 Birds Eye Maple
    1924 Gibson F-4
    2010 Custom National Resonator (one of a kind)
    1930 National Resonator with new custom neck and "Doug Unger" inlay and back painted by Howard "Louie Bluie" Armstrong
    2005 Godin A-8
    2013 Kentucky KM-1050 "stage and club mandolin"

I'll warn you that the Weber rectangular cases are HEAVY. I had a Fern that came with one and I traded for a lighter shaped case; they're nice looking but heavy.
    Eric

5. The following members say thank you to BlueMt. for this post:

Travelite or Gator Featherweight ...

I'd go with the Hiscox Pro-Flite 2. It is a very protective case with lots of storage room. While I use my Gator for day-to-day hand carrying, when I need more protection or more stuff, the Hiscox is just the thing. They are bulky, which is a drawback, but very rigid. I think your K&K temporary mount would be likely to fit in the Hiscox, but maybe not in the Gator. Hard to know unless you try it or someone else here has done it. I think the Hiscox is a great case at a real budget price.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Look into the new Northfield cases. They are very nice cases.

Thanks for the advice so far!

Analysis paralysis. The northfields look great. A buddy has suggested just getting a calton and be set for life. Kinda like rectangle tkls, had one for years. Love the look and idea of the Weber rectangle, but can't backpack it and thanks for the weight warning. For the price of a Calton I could get two cases. . . . . . Man, it's overwhelming.

Everything I've read recently about the new Northfield case would make me look there first.

But then again, the current thread about the Kimble inside a Calton case that fell from a car, got run over (it bore the Wile E Coyote tire marks to prove it) - and survived intact - would make me seriously consider splashing out the extra few hundred dollars.

Blog Entries

The Calton's are one heck of a tough case.... you only need to buy them once. Main downside... cats think they make a great bed...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SnowflakeCalton.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	184.5 KB 
ID:	143765

I keep my main Fern in a Calton and the Ellis in a Pegasus...

Name:	caltonpeg1.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	144.7 KB 
ID:	143766

Both top class cases that are tough as nails.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

For your use,especially if you only play out ocassionally (like myself),a Travelite is superb. They're light whichever way you carry them. Using a single or double back strap,the weight vanishes. The centre compartment in mine carries 2 set of strings,wire snips,snipe nosed pliers,a Snark tuner & a Dunlop string winder. Despite their comparitively low price,they're one of the best cases on the market (IMHO).
    Re. the Weber rect.cases - my Fern came in one. However i got a Travelite ASAP via.a friend of mine who at that time, owned a music store. They are the heaviest case i've ever come across,& there's totally no way that you could carry one on a bike, Currently,it resides in a Gator moulded ABS case, which was my choice when i found that i couldn't buy another Travelite over here,
    Ivan

Name:	Gator mandolin case (2).jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	143769Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F5 in new case1.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	214.4 KB 
ID:	143770 Travelite case pic.courtesy of Cafe member & personal friend,Ron McMillan.
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Travelite in my experience is a great case although the op said he doesn't want zippers. I've never had an issue with the zipper on mine.

Hi Mark - I did have a problem with the zippers on both the ones i had. My very first mandolin was shipped up to me in one.It was ok to begin with,but one day the zipper stuck totally solid. It was un-moveable & i literally had to rip the top off,hinges & all. I bought a different style of case for it. My current Travelite also had a problem. Behind the outer covering,for some reason,there was a strip of very thin,flimsy material which had frayed edges. The frayed edges got caught up in the zipper & stuck. I removed the screws holding the outer covering on,removed the frayed material & the case has beem 100% reliable since then,
    Ivan

Name:	DSCF0026.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	143776
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I think that having a case like Calton, Pegasus, etc. is like having collision insurance on your vehicle. Some choose to take the chance and only have liability coverage or none at all.

I owned a Pegasus years ago and (gasp) did not like it. The lining kept peeling out and it was my opinion that the lining/padding was very minimal and almost like an afterthought. Kinda poisoned the well for me. Plus, shaped cases are my least favorite aesthetic. I know, that stuff shouldn't matter but it does at that price point. Hence the Calton.

I appreciate the advice about the Weber rectangle weight. As much as I like the look I'm not sure I wanna commit to that.

A few years ago I quit buying mandolins i couldn't play first, and being in such a rural area (despite being in the heart of bluegrass country) it's hard to get my hands on mandos much less cases.

My direction is narrowing, though, and I am very grateful for this forum and for all of your ideas and opinions!!