Thread: Newbie - Bacon Artist

Default Newbie - Bacon Artist

Hello All,

First time poster, long time reader. I recently got an instrument that I thought was forum-worthy enough to post here.

It's a 1920(ish) Bacon Artist 4-point - S/N 221. I bought the Eastman replica of it last year, so when the real thing came up for sale at Elderly, I had to pounce on it. I just got it back from my luthier who completed a flawless refret, and it sounds and plays absolutely wonderfully!

I noticed there isn't much information about these models out there. If anyone has anything that they can share, I'd love to hear.

Lastly, if anyone is able to source the correct tailpiece for this instrument, please contact me!

~Bob

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20160214_15_26_16_Pro.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	135.1 KB 
ID:	143696

Name:	WP_20160214_15_26_26_Pro.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	118.9 KB 
ID:	143697

Name:	WP_20160214_15_26_22_Pro.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	126.5 KB 
ID:	143698

Name:	WP_20160214_15_26_35_Pro.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	108.3 KB 
ID:	143699

Default Re: Newbie - Bacon Artist

Thatg is in very good shape as far as I can tell. It does look tho that your luthier put thicker frets than what was on their originally. I have an Artist from 1921. Good luck on finding the tailpiece. There are less of these Bacon mandolins around than even Lyon & Healys and those tailpieces are not so easy to come by.

What else do you need to know? I assume it has the label signed by William Place, Jr?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Thanks Jim,

Yes, we discussed the refret at length... We decided, since the instrument isn't nearly as valuable as, say a Gibson, or L&H - I'd opt for the lightly thicker frets to make it more suited for my playing. We gave it a complete once-over, and it's amazingly solid for a 90+ year old instrument.

The label is, indeed signed by William Place Jr.

Based on the number, is there any way of figuring out exactly what year it's from?

I have a feeling I'm up for a challenge tracking down a tailpiece.... I've already had a few shops tell me they've never even seen a Bacon mandolin much less a tailpiece for one.

Gorgeous mandolin. Are the back and sides made of maple or birch? (Or something else?)
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

I don't know why you would assume it was not as valuable as a Gibson and L&H. I believe the workmanship is certainly equal to those two makers. OTOH if you really prefer larger frets in order to play it, go for it. It would be hard to say what it would do to vintage value. Prob not much.

I had mine at a party in the 1990s and Stan Jay was there. At that point he told me he had never seen one before.

There are two other models below this one: the professional (2 points) and the Amateur (like a Gibson A or L&H C).

I prob have had mine for maybe 30 years now. It is a wonderful mandolin.

Quote Originally Posted by bprendie View Post
    Hello All,

First time poster, long time reader. I recently got an instrument that I thought was forum-worthy enough to post here.

It's a 1920(ish) Bacon Artist 4-point - S/N 221. I bought the Eastman replica of it last year, so when the real thing came up for sale at Elderly, I had to pounce on it. I just got it back from my luthier who completed a flawless refret, and it sounds and plays absolutely wonderfully!

I noticed there isn't much information about these models out there. If anyone has anything that they can share, I'd love to hear.

Lastly, if anyone is able to source the correct tailpiece for this instrument, please contact me!

~Bob

Name:	WP_20160214_15_26_16_Pro.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	135.1 KB 
ID:	143696

Name:	WP_20160214_15_26_26_Pro.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	118.9 KB 
ID:	143697

Name:	WP_20160214_15_26_22_Pro.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	126.5 KB 
ID:	143698

Name:	WP_20160214_15_26_35_Pro.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	108.3 KB 
ID:	143699

These links maybe of interest. The 1921 mandolin has its serial number listed.

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item...ng-company-gro

This catalog has mostly banjos. Mandolins at the last few pages. Describes what they are made of.

http://www.acousticmusic.org/userfil...%20Catalog.pdf
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

BTW William Place was a well-known mandolin performer and teacher. I believe that earlier he ayed Gibsons and later primarily played a Gibson F-5.

My label has the date on it: SN 204 - 1921. Here is mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bacon_ftbk.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	260.1 KB 
ID:	143704   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bacon_bodyft.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	228.5 KB 
ID:	143703   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sideofbacon.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	112.9 KB 
ID:	143702  

Name:	bacon_tp_jg.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	143701   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bacon_label_full_sm.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	170.5 KB 
ID:	143700  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Yikes! How did that liveauctioneers.com Bacon get those scratches on the top. Sort of odd. Did the owner play behind the bridge?

Name:	7282301_1_l.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	143705
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I don't know why you would assume it was not as valuable as a Gibson and L&H. I believe the workmanship is certainly equal to those two makers. OTOH if you really prefer larger frets in order to play it, go for it. It would be hard to say what it would do to vintage value. Prob not much.

I had mine at a party in the 1990s and Stan Jay was there. At that point he told me he had never seen one before.

There are two other models below this one: the professional (2 points) and the Amateur (like a Gibson A or L&H C).

I prob have had mine for maybe 30 years now. It is a wonderful mandolin.
    You are correct - it truly is a wonderful mandolin. The neck is a really sharp "V" and feels really fast - really nothing at all like the Eastman Dawg-2 (A great instrument in its own right)

Regarding the woods, I'm really not sure what type they are, but I will say that it has an extremely mellow tone. One of the guys I play with agreed it was a "mature" sounding mandolin. I love it for exactly the opposite reason so many folks love the F5's. It is so mellow, with almost no bite - no to be confused with sounding "dull". It's very rich and jazzy sounding.

I wish my label did have a date stamped on it, but if S/N 204 and 210 were built in 1921, then mine is likely a late '21 or early '22 being #221.

Most of the Bacon mandolins i have seen were made in 1921. I have a feeling that they may not have sold that well mostly having to compete with Gibson. I always felt the tone was midway between a Gibson oval hole and a L&H.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Mandolin tragic Graham McDonald's Avatar

Somewhere I found a catalogue or ad stating the Artist models were made from the 'best quality maple and spruce'. Their price in 1921 was $200 (an F-5 a year later was $250), so not a cheap instrument. They may has lasted in production until 1923, but its unlikely that they were being made after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham McDonald View Post
    Somewhere I found a catalogue or ad stating the Artist models were made from the 'best quality maple and spruce'. Their price in 1921 was $200 (an F-5 a year later was $250), so not a cheap instrument. They may has lasted in production until 1923, but its unlikely that they were being made after that.
    Graham: This catalog states that. Willkamm posted the link above (and i quote here).

Quote Originally Posted by willkamm View Post
    This catalog has mostly banjos. Mandolins at the last few pages. Describes what they are made of.

http://www.acousticmusic.org/userfil...%20Catalog.pdf
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Feb-16-2016 at 5:45pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

I love the design of these old "pearls" and am glad to see them come to people who will appreciate what they are!
    I want one but, there are a few things I want.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

The tailpiece you have works well with it..for what it's worth
    Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com

Blog Entries

Your instrument is gorgeous. I love the Bacons and L&Hs. I'm a bit bummed the Dawg/Eastman collaboration has died off.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Wasn't Rene from Germany trying to sell one of those Bacon tailpieces a while back? Only loose one I've ever seen...
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Wasn't Rene from Germany trying to sell one of those Bacon tailpieces a while back? Only loose one I've ever seen...

I believe so, if not Rene I've seen a few tailpieces for sale here on the cafe over the years,and I believ ther was one for sale within the past few months! Just allways keep checking the ads and also keep an ever watchfull eye on evilbay, I have seen them there also. Best O' Luck finding one!

Blog Entries

That is a beautiful mandolin. I think they have a real great old time look. Lovely.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrasser78 View Post
    I believe so, if not Rene I've seen a few tailpieces for sale here on the cafe over the years,and I believ ther was one for sale within the past few months! Just allways keep checking the ads and also keep an ever watchfull eye on evilbay, I have seen them there also. Best O' Luck finding one!
    Oh wow - I guess I'll have to keep my eyes open for that!

Thanks for all the kind words. This is my first real vintage instrument, and I'm definitely starting to bond with it!

I'm intrigued by the circular top with the point-avoidance buttresses above and below. Sometimes I wonder if mandolins designers of that time were out of touch with the art deco designs that dominated the rest of the world. It's a little twisted but maybe there's little in this design.

And...my fingers keep asking me to open up that image of the chubby-fretted finger board.

This is a one-piece cast tailpiece made by Keith Newell. Del's Brother has one on his Eastman DGM2 as well...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0153.JPG 
Views:	137 
Size:	450.5 KB 
ID:	143859