Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best mandolin stand for the money

Default Re: Best mandolin stand for the money

Quote Originally Posted by bohemianbiker View Post
    The body of the domra is too big to fit inside the curved prongs at the bottom of the stand...
    Turn it around so the back faces out.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

2. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hercules&Ultimate.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	245.2 KB 
ID:	143749

Not a great picture but the bass is on a Hercules, the mandolin on a cut-down Ultimate, just to get an idea of stability and hanging method. The Ultimate does have an attached strap to lock in at the headstock, but I never use it.
    Blow on, man.

OT: Nice MusicMan! Bass & mandolin players, unite!
    Think globally, bike locally.

5. The following members say thank you to eadg145 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by jmagill View Post
    If you want something pretty or elaborate, there are plenty of options, but if you want something tough and road-worthy that folds up compactly, it's tough to beat the Hamilton. I bought four of them 35 years ago when I was gigging full-time and I've still got 'em: they work great.

Mind you, one stand's rubber sleeve on the neck fork began to lose some chunks of rubber after the first 20 years, but I twisted it around so there was still good padding for the neck and it's all good.
    I have 3 of the Hamilton stands that I have owned about that long, and they are the best I have ever used...

7. The following members say thank you to ronwalker49 for this post:

Definitely my two favorite blondes! That particular Musicman is the most comfortable, best-necked bass I've ever owned or played through the decades. If I could keep only one...
    Blow on, man.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Turn it around so the back faces out.
    You, sir, are a genius! Such a simple solution, and it fits perfectly. bb

Spufman, thanks for the idea, realized I had an Ultimate collecting dust in the closet, never thought of cutting it to size. Works great. Cheers

I have a Herc and another similar stand but they're gathering dust. Repair luthiers love stands. The're dangerous, and the worst damages I've seen to instruments were because of stands. The strap will dangle onto the floor and snag toes. Somebody trips over a mic cord and pulls a mic stand over. Somebody has too many Coors and stumbles or in an alcoholic haze becomes a rock star and does a Pete Townsend with your precious. It's a tragedy waiting to happen, even at home. They make me cringe. They cause me painful memories. In the case with at least one latch fastened. I played junk for decades. Now I have nice. I do not baby an instrument, and they look the part, but I do what I can to prevent accidental damage. Just be aware and careful with stands.
    Mike Snyder

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Snyder View Post
    I have a Herc and another similar stand but they're gathering dust. Repair luthiers love stands. The're dangerous, and the worst damages I've seen to instruments were because of stands. The strap will dangle onto the floor and snag toes. Somebody trips over a mic cord and pulls a mic stand over. Somebody has too many Coors and stumbles or in an alcoholic haze becomes a rock star and does a Pete Townsend with your precious. It's a tragedy waiting to happen, even at home. They make me cringe. They cause me painful memories. In the case with at least one latch fastened. I played junk for decades. Now I have nice. I do not baby an instrument, and they look the part, but I do what I can to prevent accidental damage. Just be aware and careful with stands.
    If we're talking storage of the instrument at home, I agree. A case is the best place for an instrument. I only use my stand when I have my instrument out and I want somewhere to set it while I take a restroom break or whatever. In this scenario, I do think a stand is much better than laying it on the floor, or sitting on a chair or couch. And when you have multiple instruments and multiple players, there's usually not room for everyone to leave their case nearby. So stands do have their place. Ya just gotta be careful around them!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Christensen View Post
    Spufman, thanks for the idea, realized I had an Ultimate collecting dust in the closet, never thought of cutting it to size. Works great. Cheers
    I actually got the idea from someone else on this forum, but indeed it does work great!
    Blow on, man.

I got 2 different types that screw onto the Mic stand @ musician's friend..

String Swing had a triple stand the claim was the fork could be squeezed narrower for Ukes and mandolins.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I use the cheapo guitar stands. The mando hangs from the headstock, like a wall hanger. Buy 'em at Guitar Center for around $12, so I can have one in every room.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I wanted something inexpensive, yet decent with a low center of gravity. I came upon this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and figured I'd give it a try. Well it's actually quite well made (solid wood) which fits together snugly, has a decent heft, and soft rubber pading everywhere it's needed. I wanted something to use while recording so I could keep it close by when needed, and it's done a great job so far. I wasnt too keen on the bright gold logo, so I put it together with that inside instead of out. Perfect. I like it so much I bought a second one! Best part is it is only 2 pieces which fold flat when you need to stash it out of the way.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-11-19 at 6.29.42 AM.png 
Views:	104 
Size:	568.9 KB 
ID:	151345

Blog Entries

I've had three drop-dead issues with the Hercules stands:

1) When the height properly is set for the size of a fretted instrument, the Auto-Grip System can break the instrument's nut if you start pulling outward before the grips are completely disengaged. A very bad experience. Especially if you're on stage getting ready to perform. Especially if you are up to play in a very short time. Especially if it is a nice instrument.

2) The Hercules plastic parts break down chemically over time and release a gooey fluid that I don't want on our instruments.

3) Some of the Hercules plastic parts also break over time due to fatigue from extreme spring pressure.

Our Hercules stands are about 12 years old now, so maybe issues 2 and 3 have been corrected by now.

When we first saw the Hercules stands, we were so impressed with their balance and with their Auto Grip System that we bought 5 or 6 of them to use with each of our instruments, but because of the three issues noted above, they are all now collecting dust in various states of disrepair. Great concept, not so great execution.

Also, because I've spent a number of years as a fretted instrument repair person, we now consider our cases to be the best stands available both at home and performing. If absolutely necessary for onstage with multiple instruments, I have a Road Runner 7 Guitar Stand Flightcase that I'll use, but I'll place it against a wall or in a corner where it can't be knocked over, near where I am going to perform, and I'll hover over it like a mother hen to make sure no one gets near it while our instruments are in it. I hate to be a pain about it, but this hovering has saved our instruments a number of times.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Hamilton KB-38 guitar stand adjusted to lowest neck position is most stable mandolin stand that I use.

https://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Hang.../dp/B0002TJO92
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KB-38.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	420.6 KB 
ID:	151367  

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by djeffcoat View Post
    Hamilton KB-38 guitar stand adjusted to lowest neck position is most stable mandolin stand that I use.

This has been my favorite for about 40 years. I did add some padding near the mandolin back, just in case.

Once the price of a mandolin passes $3-4 thousand, I pretty much want it in its case when it's not in my hands, at least when it's away from home.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Quote Originally Posted by Philphool View Post
    This has been my favorite for about 40 years. I did add some padding near the mandolin back, just in case.

Once the price of a mandolin passes $3-4 thousand, I pretty much want it in its case when it's not in my hands, at least when it's away from home.
    With the stand adjusted to hold a guitar, I have taken foam pipe insulation and put it on the neck of the stand so I can switch from mandolin to guitar at gigs.

Ingles volin stand, hands down.
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

It does a better job of securing the instrument.
    Quote Originally Posted by UsuallyPickin View Post
    This is a violin / mandolin stand . It is well made with solid materials and folds to a "packable" size and shape. R/

http://gregboyd.com/images/accessory...olaStand_1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by djeffcoat View Post

That's my favorite, too. I've got three of them and they work great for mandolin at the lowest setting or for OM, guitar, and bass when fully extended. I like the black finish best.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

I also like the ingles, makes me feel like it's very secure. I put my strap over the bow hook.

I love the Ingles violin stand for my mandolin because it holds it from the top and won't fall over. If you're putting a thousand-dollar instrument in a cheap holder and it falls over, you're not saving any money. https://www.amazon.com/Ingles-Adjust...ews/B0009RHAT8