Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: your mandolin ownership history

Default Re: your mandolin ownership history

Am definitely not going to get good at playing the mandolin. That's a given. Am not dedicated enough plain and simple.

For me there were two periods of buying mandolins, when first joining the list and then about 3 years ago when I started trying to play again.

Early Washburn "Jethro Burns" model
    Mid-Missouri M-0 (have owned a number of these over the years both Mid-Mo and Big Muddy)
    Rigel A Natural (the one I still miss the most)
    The Loar (A style, don't remember the model offhand. Given to a friend so a kid could learn)
    1929 Gibson A Jr.
    Breedlove Cascade
    1910 Gibson A
    Eastman MDO-305 (OM)
    1941 Strad-O-Lin (sold to music partner for her daughter to play)
    1950's Stadium oval hole (SOL family instrument)
    1935 Gibson A-50
    2018 Collings MT
    1989 Flatiron Performer A
    2008 Weber Gallatin (mahogany back)

Seems like I get to a certain level of quality and just stop. But then end up with multiple examples of that type of instrument. Not sure why.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

I also started playing too late in life to probably get really good, but I do love the mandolin and was curious about how different styles would sound and what I might like best (turns out my favorite is an oval hole A style).

I have accumulated a few in a very short very period of time:

The Loar 590
    '93 Flatiron 3MC
    '55 Levin Capri 52
    2019 Meredith A style
    Trinity Octave (traded the Loar for this one)

Plus a Martin Backpacker & a Weber Sweet Pea (unplayable and maybe not reparable) to schlep through airports
    1955 Levin 52
    1993 Flatiron 3MC
    2019 Meredith A5
    1906 Gibson A-1

Simple history here.

1976 Laminated top mandolin, forgot brand name - Got me started. Don't remember what happened to it. Either gave it away or sold cheap.
    1979 Givens A mandolin - Called Bob before moving Up North and he shipped it a few months later. Still have it. My never-to-part mandolin.
    2015 Weber Gallatin mandola, new
    2015 Mike Black A2z - This one was a stable mate of the one owned by PHeffernan, built at the same time.
    Sometime between 2015 and 2020 Godin A8, used
    Sometime between 2015 and 2020 National RM-1 resophonic mandolin, used
    2018 Ranger Travel mandolin, new - Took it on a trip. Sold it afterwards.

Exclamation Re: your mandolin ownership history part 2

well I see you have a more extensive list going since I chimed in on # 25..

Ill add : Godin A8, Gibson EM 150, *now have an A50 luthier converted to be a CGDA 4 string EM like, with a 4 pole pickup.

A Greg Biller built solid body 4 string also CGDA, & a Walnut/spruce Mandola he made ,,

*A Pentaula P5 a '22 Gibson A, another A4 end of same year,, *A Lebeda Jazzica F5 body Monte style peghead .. Cognac lacquer..

Mix A5, *Ibanez tenor *Gold tone ITB, Vega Lil wonder 8 string ManJo. a coup;e other 4 string converted Manjos

A Leo Pocket Mandolin brought with on Irish - Scottish bicycle pub crawl tour on my 50th year..

a Fender FM 61 8 string electric.

And 'Kawlija' My rescued Slingerland May Belle , spruce headed mandolin fretboard banjo uke with FCGD tuned 4 Acquila mandolin strings..

Greg helped with that ( recently added ; Grover 4:1 planetary Uke tuning pegs )

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I've own a number of mandolins over the years. It has been so long I don't remember the details about them. I owned most of them in my twenties, over 40 years ago. Most of them I sold or traded over the years and wished I hadn't done that. But then, I gave up playing music for almost 20 years so didn't like instruments sitting around collecting dust. They need to be played. This is what I remember:

1975 or 1976 OME A Black face my very first mandolin, I did not know at the time what a nice instrument that was.
    Late 1900 teens Gibson A Jr, oval hole, simple but I played the hell out of that one.
    Early 1920s Gibson F4 oval hole, beautiful mandolin that I sold way to soon because I needed money.
    Late teens to early twenties Gibson A 1, don't remember what happen to that one.
    Currently own a 1919 Gibson A 2 which I play a lot and love that woody sound.
    Will soon own a 2021 Ellis A4 Deluxe oval hole mandolin, can't wait to get it. Hurry up Tom!
    2021 Ellis A4 Deluxe #537
    1919 Gibson A2 Sheraton Brown #52218

Still early in building history with this instrument but...

Eastman 305 - the one that got me hooked

Northfield Calhoun wide nut - extremely fun little mando

Northfield F5S - first one to blow me away

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Wilson View Post
    I am impressed with the history shown here. Thanks for sharing!

My ownership history is simple...

March 2002- I was given a Fender Fm53s for my sixteen birthday. I still own it. Played the heck out it.

2010- Stopped playing for a while and got into backpacking.

2014- Started having kids and needed to be home more. Picked up the mandolin again as an indoor hobby.

November 2015- Bought a b-stock (the) Loar LM170. Still own it.

December 2015- Won the prized Weber Yellowstone F from The Mandolin Stores contest. I'm so blessed also still own it.
    Gave the Fender to a Friend, still have The Loar and The Weber, and added my Red Valley EM (mahogany) in February 2018.

Good times!

Wow! Some of you guys got more mandolins than I got plectrums, you probably even lost one or two down the side of the sofa...

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maxr For This Useful Post:

Here's my mando story....
    Early 70's: 1920's Washburn oval hole. I shouldn't have sold it.
    1975: Ibanez 524 F5. A heavy toneless clunker with nice inlay. I should have sold it sooner.
    Early 90's: 1914 Gibson F4
    Early 90's: 1920's Washburn oval hole Mandola.
    1996: 1996 Nugget F5 #205
    2018: 1980's Kentucky KM-1000 F5 MIJ. Sold it.
    2018: 1917 Gibson H2 Mandola
    2020: 2004 Randy Wood F5 #2404
    2021: 2020 Kimble J #282

11. The following members say thank you to Tom Dillon for this post:

Just realized I forgot to add a couple to my list -

Kalamazoo KM-11. Owned a couple different ones when I first ventured into mandolin. At the time I didn't like the neck shape. Probably would now.

1935 Kalamazoo KM-21. This is a true beater, sinking top, replaced bridge and tuners. And a couple of ugly crack repairs. It does the job and there are days when I think it's the best thing I own. Definitely better sounding to the listener than the player though
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin

My journey has been brief as my first mandolin was an unsolicited Xmas gift 3 years ago. Fortunately, I think that I was able to settle on a MAS killer pretty quickly.
    That gift was a Washburn M1SDL. Still have it but rarely play it. I began upgrading almost immediately.
    The Loar 520- Sold
    Morris A5 393- Held onto this for 2.5 years and loved it (it is still my avatar). Sold it to help facilitate a move last October
    My un-named first build- Still have and play
    Eastman 305 Octave- Bought at Wintergass 2020, also sold in October (liked it, just didn't love it)
    Ruhland #41- This is the aforementioned MAS killer for me
    Ruhland #41
    My unnamed build #1
    Various other stringed and percussion tools

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Controversial comment:

Unless you are a little crazy, and lack perhaps a little balance in your life, you ain't never gonna get any good at the mandolin.
    For 'the mandolin', substitute 'music'. Most musicians I've met are like that, which is why they're often such interesting people. Also, 'good' is an interesting word in relation to music. Like athletes, there's always somebody better. We've all met musos beating themselves up cause they're not 'good' enough, and we've all met people who won't have any 'technique' as long as they breathe, who technically aren't much 'good' at music, but can make people dance and laugh with what they've figured - that's good enough for me. Finally, if the 'balance' we're lacking is TV, shopping malls, and pre programmed and dumbed down entertainment, I'm happy unbalanced
    Eastman MD305 mandolin
    Kentucky KM250 mandolin

2 x Fiddles, 1 x 5 string viola, 1 x 5 string octave viola, 2 X nyckelharpas
    2 X 12 string guitars, 3 x 6 string guitars, 1 x Cuatro de Puerto Rico
    5 x recorders - descant, alto, tenor
    1 X Highland bagpipes
    1 x Garvie 'Session' mouth blown bagpipes in A

Defiantly going off topic - Do you have to be a little crazy to be a musician ? Not sure that crazy is the correct term, different perspective on "what is music", and in all fairness, the majority of musicians I know defiantly fit "a little crazy" ( if not a lot crazy).
    Is there a difference between a musician and someone who simply attempts to play an instrument? That is a whole other posting I'm sure.
    As for balance, I have been accused of spending too much time on music ( see my tag line) by multiple people.
    For that very reason I have been labeled "crazy" or "touched" even autistic, and in a way I accept that as a compliment.
    I agree there comes a point where you have to put the instrument down and engage in other activities, it would be the same for a sport or body building or quilting or whatever.
    I find sometimes if I am not getting a phrase or part, even though I have intensely worked on it, if I put it down for a day or so and come back to it, it seems to be better.
    Am I obsessed with mandolin music? I will gladly accept that statement as true. I do find it strange that no one would consider it odd if I spent the same amount of time watching TV.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

16. The following members say thank you to tmsweeney for this post:

This is a must read thread for all Mandolin lovers, others.

Not a big history for me since Mandolin is a secondary instrument for me, fiddle being my primary.

1) a now unknown to me oval hole flattop that was my dad's when I was a kid that I messed around with until he lost it at a gig.

2) Eastman 505 that I had ca. 2005

3) A 70's Japanese Washburn Jethro Burns F

4) Kentucky KM-756 since 2019

The fiddle history is way more intriguing! 🤣

I took delivery of my Collings in June 2019...Thats its...not very interesting

Time to update:

I figured that I never owned a mandolin; I just rent them!

1971- Kay POS (gave to a friend)
    1974- '20 Gibson white A3 (sold to finance a move, the one that got away)
    1979 - Larson (?) flat top borrowed for 2 years
    1985 - Gibson A-50 borrowed off & on for 5 years
    1987 - Kentucky POS A (sold in 2005)
    2001 - Michael Kelly F (sold in 2005)
    2005 - Collings MT2 (sold 2015)
    2007 - '23 Gibson A (sold 2011)
    2009 - '23 A2z (sold 2014)
    2009 - Eastman 815 mandola (sold 2017)
    2009 - Schwab 5-string electric (sold 2018)
    2010 - National Style 1 (use it single courses tuned like a Mandola - great for Gypsy Jazz)
    2011 - Duff F5 (sold 2017)
    2015 - Ellis A5 (sold 2017)
    2016 - '23 Gibson F2 (sold 2019)
    2016 - Fender mandocaster reissue, bought used for $250
    2017 - Nugget Deluxe A #162 (life time keeper)
    2018 - Sorenson Sprite
    2019 - Red Diamond A5 (sold 2019)
    2020 - Ellis twin point
    2020 - Zeta carbon fiber (for camping)
    2021 - '24 Gibson A

& then there are guitars... I need to thin the herd and practice releasing as efficiently as catching.

Should update -

sold a number of instruments. Added -

Peter Coombe flattop. That's now the primary performing instrument in both bands.
    Another Strad-O-Lin - this one with comma shaped f-holes and sunburst finish. It's what sits out and is played most. Also take it to jams for a couple of other groups.

As for guitars - that heard is also thinned and now down to 2 acoustics and 1 electric. And no more movement planned there for a long time.

Interesting thread. Here goes my long winded story...

Bluebird pancake for $10 from a flea market around 1980. Was a bluegrass banjo player and just messed around with the mando. Still have it.

Weber Alder #2 mandola, string for and tuned as an octave mando, 1995. Played a few Irish tunes on it but mostly played Irish whistles and pipes.

Did not play mando from 2000 until my interest in bluegrass/old time was rekindled in 2017. MAS kicked in as I got serious about the mando.

Traded the Alder for a Morris A5 (very nice but sold it to fund the next one)
    Weber Madison F5 (still have it, incredible looks, tone, playability)
    Morris A5 #2 (nice but sold it to fund the next purchase)
    Northfield F5S (sold it, great value but radius too much for me)
    Girouard OM (incredible but focused on BG/OT so traded)
    Collings MT-O (sold it - oval hole not my thing)
    Weber Sweat Pea backpacking mando (still have it, solid little bugger)
    Sawchyn Beavertail (sweet mando but sold it to help fund the next purchase)
    Kimble J 2-point (still have it, a killer bluegrass machine)
    Pomeroy F5 (still have it, very versatile, killer everything, maybe my favorite at the moment?)

I can honestly say that every mando I’ve owned (except the plywood Bluebird) was really good, but evolving preferences in look, tone, neck profile and width, and fretboard radius have driven my mando buying/selling.

I’m very happy with my Webers, Kimble and Pomeroy...for now
    Pomeroy F5 2003
    Weber Madison F5 2013
    Weber Sweet Pea travel mando 2006
    Eric Ouren open back banjo
    Bart Reiter open back banjo

23. The following members say thank you to scotta for this post:

Started with a Kentucky 164 I got from a large guitar store.
    Sold it, bought an Eastman 305.
    Sold that, bought a pava.
    Got married.
    Sold my pava. (These two things are directly related)
    Bought a jbovier a5.
    Got a boerboel puppy.
    Bought a the loar 310 for playing around the house (these two things are directly related)

Teacher, repair person

The first was a cheap Korean mandolin, $40 new in 1979.
    The second was a 1941 Strad-o-lin, $75 in 1980, needing a tailpiece and tuners.
    I fixed up the Strad-o-lin, and gave the Korean mandolin to a lady friend.

Within a year, the top caved in on the Korean job. She felt bad about it. I explained to her that it wasn't her fault. Now, I wish I had bought her another mandolin, but I was young and foolish and didn't think about doing anything like that at the time.

I played the Strad-o-lin happily for several years, until the then not very well known Norman Blake let me play a really good black Gibson A-4 one evening in 1987. A light went on: "Oh, this is what a good mandolin is supposed to sound and feel like." I scraped together every cent I could, and the next year I picked up a 1918 F-4 from George Gruhn's then little shop for $1600. It was more fun in those days.

Since then, I've had several others pass through my hands. The keepers are the F-4, a Vega cylinder back, a fancy Martin flat-back, a Gibson H-2 mandola that cost $350 which needed repairs, and a Regal Octofone that was given to me as a gift. I also had a Lyon & Healy style B that was a great mandolin, but let it go many years ago.

One that I wish that I'd kept was an older Eastman 505 that I got in a trade. It was a lot of mandolin for the money, and after some set up work, it was good enough to gig with. But I wasn't gigging at the time, and sold it off. If ever I start working tight stages again, I might look for another one like it.
    Last edited by rcc56; Dec-24-2021 at 1:42am.

26. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

1960s Suzuki bowlback (from childhood, which I did not start to play until I was 45!)
    Fender A style
    Breedlove Oregon
    Sullivan F5 (not the well-known builder, an amateur)
    Collings MT2 (very early model)
    Holoubek Fern F5
    2007 Passernig F5 (Bought new, my keeper)

I've also gone through a bunch of oval holes mandolins:
    Eastman 504
    1937 Martin A style
    Totally refinished Gibson jr.
    Gillies A (amateur builder)
    Pomeroy A 2020 (bought almost new, my keeper)

I've also gone though a bunch of less expensive mandolins for travel including:
    Epiphone F5
    Eastman 305
    Kentucky 505
    Ole Pal A style
    Kentucky 950 (which I've kept so far)

That was fun.
    Cary Fagan

Cool to see this thread still alive and to check out y'alls histories.

After 5 years I have a few to add:
    2016 Sold the Weber because the neck was too fat for me
    mandolinless, I made a trip to Carter Vintage to play a bunch of stuff and figure out what to invest in next. Landed on Duffs pretty hard
    2017 Found a used 2015 Duff A5 and sort of made a leap upward in tone. Bought from cafe member within driving distance.
    2018?ish found a used gold flake mandobird IV electric, again within driving distance and added that. Thought I'd play it because it was quiet. I bought an amp and found my tone. Still don't really play it much. Thought I might play jazz out live but then Covid. . . . it will probably end up in the classifieds but who knows.
    2019 Found another McGhee and had to have it as I missed my other one. Pretty strange because I don't think very many were made. Eugene passed away in early 2019. I think I'll probably keep this one 'forever' but, again, who knows
    2021 Just purchased a Eastman octave mandolin. After my last trip to nashville I found myself playing all the 'other' mandolin family instruments and fear I have discovered a whole 'nother monster.

So, yeah, in the past 5 years I have sold one and somehow acquired 4. Happy Holidays everyone.

Chris