Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saw Sierra Hull Show

Default Re: Saw Sierra Hull Show

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus CA View Post
    Here it is:

Many thanks, Marcus! What a great video. Great song, too. Very reminiscent of Squirrel Hunters."

Collings MT-O Sunburst (2014)
    Kentucky KM630 (early 1990s Korean) w/ K&K Twin Internal
    Vega K-Style Mandolin Banjo (1917)
    Vega N-Style 17-Fret Tenor Banjo (1922)
    Deering Goodtime 2 5-String Banjo w/ Resonator

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    Fantastic show if you like mandolin. Three incredibly talented musicians playing complex arraignments that fit together like a master luthier's dovetail joints.

Sierra sounded great on mandolin and vocals. Mostly her own tunes, which are simple but complex - not a 3 chord song for the night maybe. She is playing better than it seems humanly possible.

Ditto for Ethan Jodziewicz & Justin Moses . Ethan play bass fiddle like a cello when he wants and does the most amazing work I've ever witnessed on that instrument. Justin and Sierra play a mandolin duet of "cattle in the cane' that floored me. He is as good as she is.

Great show -recommended if you get a chance!

bluegrass-only lovers be warned. Just a couple of BG tunes. But if you like mandolin music you might not notice
    I saw them play at Freight and Salvage in Berkeley last night. I second everything that Mark said, and would add a few more exclamation points. I think Sierra only played one tune ("Best Buy") from her first two albums. All of the songs that she played from her new album were up a notch from the recorded versions, with richer vocals and some interesting fills. Along with the duet with Justin on "Cattle in the Cane," she and Ethan played a tremendous duet on Bach's Invention #6 and an instrumental that she wrote.

The three of them work totally as a power trio. Sure, Sierra is the star, but the other two are playing lots more than just basic supporting chords and bass lines, and they both added some really nice vocal harmonies. This is incredibly rich music. Ethan has studied with Edgar Meyer, which clearly shows in his playing. Justin mainly played banjo and dobro, but played OM on "Cattle in the Cane." They're all playing at such a high level, with many decades of musicianship ahead of them.

Yes, absolutely a great show! Even my bluegrass-devoted guitar-playing buddy kept calling it "amazing."
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

3. The following members say thank you to Marcus CA for this post:

We saw them at the Musical Instrument Museum last week and I experienced everything everybody is saying in this thread.

One thing I am VERY glad I did before we left is I picked up Justin's EP, Beyond Measure (they perform the track She's Crazy from this EP in the show). It has been on constant stream in my studio ever since. It's only a 6-tune set and I have yet to even begin to become weary of it.

If you are into Modern Folk / Americana, pick this one up, download it, whatever your pleasure. It is a case study for this genre'.

It is always a pleasure listening to someone who is doing doing exactly what they were put on this Earth to do. I can say that for all three of these kids.

5. The following members say thank you to Gerry Cassidy for this post:

I caught her show at the MiM recently, good stuff. Interesting trio work and some work with mando & bass that makes me wonder if she hasn't been taking a cue from Thile and Meyers and the Punch Brothers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sierrahull032116j.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	196.3 KB 
ID:	144832Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sierrahull032116q.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	206.8 KB 
ID:	144833

7. The following members say thank you to Petrus for this post:

Interesting trio work and some work with mando & bass that makes me wonder if she hasn't been taking a cue from Thile and Meyers and the Punch Brothers.
    I do not doubt she listens to them but her album was produced by Bela Fleck and he helped her a lot on arrangements. She said that Bela called Edgar Meyer and asked him who he would recommend for bass. That is how she connected with Ethan. The album arrangements and mixing remind me of Bela's latest cd with Abigail.

9. The following members say thank you to CarlM for this post:

Petrus 

Quote Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
    I caught her show at the MiM recently, good stuff. Interesting trio work and some work with mando & bass that makes me wonder if she hasn't been taking a cue from Thile and Meyers and the Punch Brothers.

Ethan is a student of Edgar Myer (that's how he got Edgar's referal for this gig) and is definitely a disciple, in playing style.

I find Sierra's mandolin playing reflects a definite Thile influence, but her songwriting is a right turn away from anything Thile is doing. Her singing style is almost too Alison Krause for my liking, but I do like the introspection in her writing. For the most part, her songs are well-crafted. Something more than just a little melody sung over a riff she came up with on the mando. Overall, I find it very refreshing.

I was at the Freight & Salvage show as well, and it was enjoyable and impressive. Even the non-mandolin-obsessed family members I brought with me had a good time. Only down side was I am now embarrassed to even own, much less play, my mandolin! ;-)

Blog Entries

Give it time. It took me a few days to want to hear myself play after going to her show.

AKA Billgrass

Quote Originally Posted by Petrus View Post

Missed their LA show but took her mini workshop last year at Huck Finn. She sites Thile as an influence and inspiration.
    Daily joy - morning noon and night:

Quote Originally Posted by Billgrass View Post
    Missed their LA show but took her mini workshop last year at Huck Finn. She sites Thile as an influence and inspiration.
    In her earlier days, I heard a lot of Adam Steffey's influence. There are some clips floating about of them playing together that are interesting. Clean and crisp. I was at the show at The Freight, and I was hearing a lot of Kym Warner in her playing, particularly in playing accompaniment. I don' know how generic that styling is, but he's the other one I've heard that sounds similar.

I will say she was awesome, and that the other musicians were absolutely top notch. Beautiful playing, with much sensitivity.

Don't play what's there, play what's not there. - Miles Davis

Between Mike Compton's performance at Time Warp Music a week ago Saturday, the Mandolin Ensemble of Los Angeles' Bach performance at Union Station the next day (in which I am honored to have participated), Sierra Hull's gig at Hotel Cafe on Tuesday, and Chris Thile's show at Largo last night...it's been a mando week to remember in Los Angeles!

16. The following members say thank you to Doug Freeman for this post:

I saw her at the Phoenix show as well. I love the energy of a full bluegrass band, but the sparse arrangement of mandolin and bass, with the occasional banjo or dobro, better fit out the contemplative nature of her coming-of-age songs. Just absolutely beautiful interplay between the three musicians. Favorite moment: The encore, when they walked away from the mics and played pure acoustic music -- a house concert, if just for one song.
    Old Wave #527
    Cervantes Milenia PE
    J. Alvarez classical guitar
    Michael Kelly Legacy-O

"The sound of the mandolin is a very curious sound
    because it's cheerful and melancholy at the same time." -- Rita Dove

I saw the 3/25 performance at the Freight and Salvage in Berkeley, too. Her voice was a pleasant surprise and her playing left me with strong feelings of inadequacy. Justin and Ethan were both great, as well. Every song was sparsely arranged, and I wanted more after 90 min.

Being a glutton for punishment, the next night I went back for the Grisman Sextet CD release performance. During his last encore he segued into EMD and proved that he hasn't lost a step at the age of 71.
    Steve Lavelle
    '93 Flatiron Performer F
    Customized Eastwood Mandocaster (8str)

I like her lyricism, but I'd happily listen to nothing but an hour of instrumentals.

I took in two of her shows in Atlanta. The first time my wife went with me reluctantly ("You're dragging me out to hear a mandolin player".. It's bad enough listening you practice all the time."). I was sure we'd have to leave after the first set. No way....She was absolutely spellbound.