Thread: Vince Guraldi's Music on Mandolin

Default Vince Guraldi's Music on Mandolin

Not sure if there is enough interest to sustain a thread this specific, but there is only one way to find out.

I've always thought that there is something about Vince Guaraldi's music - whether from Peanuts or Guaraldi's non-Peanuts body of work - that makes it well-suited to the mandolin...a certain lightness and playfulness.

Please share your own recordings - or your favorite recordings by others - featuring Guaraldi's music on mandolin family instruments.

I will get the ball rolling with "Lucy and Linus" which I just arranged and recorded for 3 mandos and guitar. (If you would like the score for this, please send me a private message. I am happy to share.)

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to mlinkins For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

♪☮♫ Roll away the dew ♪☮♫ Dan Krhla's Avatar

Default Re: Vince Guraldi's Music on Mandolin

Very interesting. Nice arrangement.
    do good things

4. The following members say thank you to Dan Krhla for this post:

Excellent. Sounds great on mandolin and guitar. Thanks for posting that.

6. The following members say thank you to PH-Mando for this post:

Vince was a musical wizard and died way too young. My favorite album of his...

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  8.0 KB

8. The following members say thank you to Jim Roberts for this post:

This piece has a Spanish/ Latin flair to the melody and rhythm and lends itself quite naturally to stringed instruments , as you've so smartly demonstrated .

10. The following members say thank you to roysboy for this post:

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback and also the private message requests for the score and parts. I just wanted to clarify that the score and parts are available in standard notation only. Unfortunately, I do not have tab versions.

If you would like the score/parts, just send me a private message and be sure to include your e-mail address.

There were some questions about the instruments used in the recording. All 3 mando parts were recorded on my 1926 Martin bowlback. The guitar part was recorded on my Ibanez archtop jazz guitar.

Thanks for your interest!

12. The following members say thank you to mlinkins for this post:

Great post!!
    Weber Black Ice F
    Gretsch Vintage F Oval hole
    Washburn A, Oval hole Mandola
    Weber Black Ice F Octave Mandolin

Hi,

If you requested score and/or parts for "Lucy and Linus"...

I am sending out parts (PDFs) - but not the score - today. I have a problem with the score format, so will send that when/if I get that resolved. If you requested score/parts today and don't receive parts, please let me know via PM.

Here are the parts that I am sending (via the e-mails addresses you provided):

Mando 1A
    Mando 1B
    Mando 2
    Mandocello
    Guitar

Please note that the mandocello part and guitar part are identical parts, just written in their appropriate clefs (treble/8va for guitar and bass for mandocello). You can use EITHER mandocello OR guitar...OR both together in unison.

On the recording I actually included an "extra" mando part (in addition to 1A, 1B, and 2). I had mandolin double the guitar/mandocello part (which plays the bass line). I just used the guitar part. The mandolin notes, of course sound a octave higher than guitar, thus the bass line is being doubled in octaves. This doubling added (i think) nice depth/dimension to the bass line (and it doesn't "get in the way of the other mando parts, as the are all playing higher voices). I know that having mando double the bass line may sound strange, but I think that it works in this case. (Note - I would suggest that you DON'T use this doubling during the walking bass/swing section - measures 70-85).

On the recording I did not perform the entire arrangement which includes a (jazz) solo section from 70-85. During this section, one mando would solo over the changes, accompanied by the bass part (mandocello/guitar part) and another mando or guitar would do comping (chord changes).

In my recording, I took the easy way out and omitted this section. When I got to measures 55-56, I just repeated (vamped) those two measure and then faded. If you wished to use this abbreviated version, you could do the same - either repeat and fade, or simply repeat a designated number of times and then end on final G chord.

Sorry that I do not have tab versions, only standard notation.

Thanks for your interest.

Mark
    Last edited by mlinkins; Mar-06-2016 at 4:42pm.

15. The following members say thank you to mlinkins for this post:

Thanks so much Mark!

17. The following members say thank you to jefflester for this post:

Very cool--I like that song--and this version is very cool.
    Now I have to learn it on mandolin...
    Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

19. The following members say thank you to zedmando for this post: