Thread: Verdone (c. 1750): Duo pour mandolines - I. Largo

Default Verdone (c. 1750): Duo pour mandolines - I. Largo

"Duo pour mandolines de VERDONE (XVIIIe siècle). Elaboré, revu et corrigé par Mario MONTI d'après un manuscript du XVIII de la Bibliothèque National de Paris"
    I. Largo

This is the first movement of an 18th century duet for mandolins. I know nothing about the composer listed on the score, except that the title page of the Barbella mandolin duets printed in Paris at the same time lists "Mrs Verdone Frères" as the publishers. I suspect that this is the same Verdone.

It's a fun piece to play, with lots of notes despite the "largo" tempo marking: it alternates between straight 1/32 notes and 1/16 triplets to keep the players on their toes and the piece rhythmically interesting.

I'm playing the Largo as a duet on a vintage Neapolitan bowlback mandolin and a recent flattop mandolin.

1890s Umberto Ceccherini mandolin
    Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin

Martin
    Last edited by Martin Jonas; Feb-23-2016 at 8:37am.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martin Jonas For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Verdone (c. 1750): Duo pour mandolines - I. Largo

I have several references to the mandolin composer Verdone, assuming they are the same person. To summarize, he was Italian; referred to sometimes as "Signor Verdone"; was in Lyon about 1768; and was later in Paris in 1772 and 1788-1789. (However, the 1772 reference seems to be to Verdone brothers (frères)). Can anyone supply basic biographical facts about him, e.g. first name, when born and died?