Thread: Fun in the sun in the twin cities (minnesota, usa)

Default Fun in the sun in the twin cities (minnesota, usa)

Its spring fever time in the tc and though it hasnt been too bad im chompin at the bit to get out and enjoy some sun and some fun. That said, are there any kick butt bluegrass, ole tyme, or folk, or jazz (whatever) festivals near the tc requiring a tent and beer? Maybe bbq? I really dont want to spend time couped up in an auditorium in some hotel. I wanna sit on a rock with my mandolin, play some, drink beer and enjoy trees with a few hundred others. My soul needs it. Ask anyone who endures a bitter cold winter each year. There has got to be something?
    Mando
    Guitar
    BBQ

Default Re: Fun in the sun in the twin cities (minnesota, usa)

Ah, of course. I've never been but have always wanted to go to MINNESOTA BLUEGRASS & OLD-TIME MUSIC FESTIVAL in August. I sent them an email with some questions. Looks like the instructional camps might help me too.

I don't know how I let that festival slip my mind, must be the late winter grey sky brown earth unhappiness, uneasiness, unease, discomfort, melancholy, depression, despondency, dejection, angst, ennui; lassitude, listlessness, languor, weariness; indisposition, ailment, infirmity, illness, sickness, disease. In a word: blues.
    Mando
    Guitar
    BBQ

check out the MBOTMA website: they have a HomeGrown Fest in late May/early June. Lakes Bluegrass Fest up by Nisswa got started back up again a couple years ago. There are a few but they're months away
    Lost on the trails of The Deep North

Lost my boots in transit terzinator's Avatar

Fred's right. MBOTMA is the governing body of all that is bluegrass and old time in MN. http://www.mbotma.com (or www.minnesotabluegrass.org)

It's not outside, but the Winter Bluegrass Weekend is coming up in just over a week (March 4-6, 2016). It's at a hotel in Plymouth, but it's all the usual suspects you'd meet at the outdoor fests, and it gets you in the mood pretty quickly.

Where in the Cities are you located? (I'm in St. Paul.)

Oh, and there's a jam every Thursday night at 7 at Blackbird Music, 35th and Cedar Ave (kitty corner from Matt's Bar) in South Minneapolis. We're laid back, not hard core, and have a steady attendance around 6-8 folks these days.

I'm in South Minneapolis.
    Mando
    Guitar
    BBQ

Fred, I've been tempted to go to the Thursday jams at Blackbird Music. Its just down the street from my house. I'm still practicing off of tabs but I could come by and give it a try. Sounds like fun. Thanks for that! Do people learn the tunes as they are played? It would be my first time sitting in on a session or whatever. To be honest, it makes me kinda nervous. But I am kinda quick learner. Hmmmm.
    Mando
    Guitar
    BBQ

I've also emailed a request to MBOTMA to get on the campsite waiting list for the festival this August, which would be the beez kneez.

Thanks again for the advice everyone!
    Mando
    Guitar
    BBQ

Tuesdays they have a beginner old time jam--people go really slowly and learn the tunes together with sheet music. Thursdays are not really fast and we've had a couple beginners there. It's also very encouraging and non-judgmental. Sit in and just play chords if you like. You'll at least hear them and get them in your head

Blog Entries

And don't forget the Mandosota group here on the Cafe and Homestead Pickin' Parlor in Richfield. Wish I am able to get to the Blackbird, not Tuesdays & Thursdays are hard for me. Went once and had fun even though I was the less experienced player there (and they didn't kick me out...)
    Last edited by Richard J; Feb-26-2016 at 11:28am.
    I think, therefore, I pick.

I am over in the UP now but I lived in Duluth most my life. There is the Cabin Fever Festival coming up in April. Art Stevenson and High Water I believe are the headliners. It's a great jam and it will be back at the Radisson this year, That is great news. I am going. I also took one lesson with Fred, then I moved...

Lessons! Fred are you teaching? Just yesterday i realized ive developed a bad habit of picking "down down" when playing two strings, something ive always read is a no-no. What have nipped that in the bud during lessons, i figure. I think i better go to the blackbird on tues or thurs as well. Its like 5 mins from me.

I do teach, yeah. If you can make Thursday afternoon or evening, I can get you in easy. I have every other Thursday at 6 open (starting 3/3). Otherwise, before that or 7:00 and after are open.

Fred, Thursday evenings will work. I can try to make 7pm, should still give me an hour or so after the commute to settle the family in and have a bite to eat. How much are classes, how long are classes and when do we start? Feel free to shoot me a private chat/email/thingie if you'd rather. Also, what should we do? I've a number of pieces I am working on that I'd like to get more comfortable with to play in a setting. I could also use instruction, hints and tricks of the trade regarding improvisation over these pieces. Thanks!
    Mando
    Guitar
    BBQ