Thread: The Butterfly, strict picking

Default The Butterfly, strict picking

Here's the music for one version of 'The butterfly' with chords and one version of the picking directions, that I'm trying to work out.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ebwjgulp07...ords.mscz?dl=0
    All the pick directions are included, I hope it's correct. It's quite a strict version- you could replace the first note of measure 13 with a downbeat and thereby make all of the last four measures the same picking as measures 9 to 12, though the down pick at the end of measure 12 followed by a sudden down pick at the beginning of 13 could be heard as a slight change in rhythm.
    Comments for errors please -I'll try to edit without changing the link. Thanks.
    Is there a library for this music on MandolinCafe?

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Default Re: The Butterfly, strict picking

There are two tablature libraries here as far as I know, one is for text tabs and the other is for Tabledit (.tef) files. I noticed your file is for MuseScore, so I can't view it. I do not think there is a library for that here. Click the Learn/Listen tab upper right this site.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

3. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Oops here's the pdf, I have heard someone play this with just downbeats and it sounded really different, good but different:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/fxqunturfd...hords.pdf?dl=0

Musescore is free by the way, it can even be loaded onto a phone, to read and play back later- I find it's been really good for learning how to read music and ear training too.

That's very interesting! I've always asked myself how to pick the succession of quarter notes and eight notes in a jig. I pick them with downstrokes only reserving the upstroke for the second note in a triplet. Sounds like this:

You seem to avoid two downstrokes in a row, but to me that's an essential part of jig picking. I'll never be able to play those fast triplets as ornaments in reels, but with some exercise, I found myself preferring DUD DUD for jigs and hence DDDDD for the first measure of the Butterfly.
    Once I had internalised this concept, I didn't have to work out the pick direction for each note.

6. The following members say thank you to crisscross for this post:

Hmm I play it the same as you for the 1st two bars, and I keep that pattern for the rest of tune, except where there are 2 adjacent triplets in which case I use DUD DUD. Worst of both worlds

My music teacher hates DUD DUD on classical pieces (or any other , so I try to keep it to folk.

I'm a musescore user too, tried getting tabedit to run on linux under wine. It ran but wouldn't open any of the files.

Hmm, I thought that I played with starting with two downstrokes but it appears that I keep it pretty much to DUD DUD the whole time except for at the start of the third part.

The only time I really play with a lot of consecutive downstrokes would be when playing waltzes.

2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jill McAuley For This Useful Post:

I'm never sure how I do it but since I have a recording - seems to be consistent:

11. The following members say thank you to Eddie Sheehy for this post:

gtani7 

Quote Originally Posted by derbex View Post
    Hmm I play it the same as you for the 1st two bars, and I keep that pattern for the rest of tune, except where there are 2 adjacent triplets in which case I use DUD DUD....
    Me too. I think that's as close to "standard" as you'll find. Some people will play the first measure pattern as all downstrokes, and a few (definitely a minority) will play the consecutive eighth notes DUD UDU.

Reversing the picking pattern by starting measure 3 with an upstroke is pretty unusual (same with measure 7 and 13). You can accent both upstrokes and downstrokes, but most people find it easier to keep the rhythmic feel by playing a consistent pattern and always playing downstrokes on the beat.

I'm learning a classical triplets exercise at the moment -all down strokes, I'm sure it's good for the soul.

GREAT job, Jill! I would play it with those same pick directions. I think you get the proper emphasis that way.

My goodness, you're getting fantastic volume from that A-Junior. What strings were installed when that video was made.

Cheers,

MikeyG

15. The following members say thank you to MikeyG for this post:

Cheers MikeyG! I had just had it set up/refretted and had my luthier put J74's on it. Had briefly debated trying flat wounds but then stuck with the tried and true J74's.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel