Thread: New Weber Offering, Red River Octave Cutaway.

Default New Weber Offering, Red River Octave Cutaway.

https://pegheadnation.com/instrument...tave-mandolin/

This looks very tasty! See the video link. It sounds great in this video, and the specs are somewhat close to my Clark. I'd love to try one of these!

Svea

2. The following members say thank you to Svea for this post:

Default Re: New Weber Offering, Red River Octave Cutaway.

DANG! That is nice. I want one.

Blog Entries

Looks like it's a shorter scale than the older Weber Octar (with a cutaway body). Red River at 20" vs Octar at 23.5". If you're after a shorter scaled Octave, this would be a good option.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

That's beautiful and my scale length i like my only problem is the price, maybe buy the time i get anougth money I'll be able to find a used one
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

Lost my boots in transit terzinator's Avatar

let the drooling commence.

Seriously drooling here too! What a looker!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Bruce had a few "River" OM's and MC's (also mandolins and a mandola ) at NAMM. Apparently I have to start a collection... to buy a collection...

That's a beautiful instrument.
    Be true to your teeth, or they'll be false to you!

Quote Originally Posted by Svea View Post
    https://pegheadnation.com/instrument...tave-mandolin/

This looks very tasty! See the video link. It sounds great in this video, and the specs are somewhat close to my Clark. I'd love to try one of these!

Svea
    Yes, it should sound good at that price. I don't know what Austin's GBOMs cost in the US but I didn't pay that much for mine in the UK.

Played it at Namm in Jan this year. Played so nice.

I think I've watched Ms. Gilchrist play that Weber probably...ohhh, about 15 times! Love the sound of it in her hands.

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

Nice - hopefully the neck isn't as chunky as the weber octave I know?
    Seems everyone's making a GOM - just at the time I might have funds! Darn.
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

Pretty but no time soon I can afford $8000 USD
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

Just saying - other builders (Austin Clark and Andrew Mowry) offer some exquisite GOM's that are truly custom handmade in America for less than this Weber. I have played them and they are fine indeed.

Alternately, I haven't tried it but I could likely string my Eastman Guitar bodied mandocello as an OM with good results. These can be had in the $2k US range. In fact I'm going to do that and post back here with results.

I'd be interested mandobart. I can get the eastman mc through my local store on my account and make payments
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
    Just saying - other builders (Austin Clark and Andrew Mowry) offer some exquisite GOM's that are truly custom handmade in America for less than this Weber. I have played them and they are fine indeed.

Alternately, I haven't tried it but I could likely string my Eastman Guitar bodied mandocello as an OM with good results. These can be had in the $2k US range. In fact I'm going to do that and post back here with results.
    That may work, and at least it is reversible. The subtleties of string spacing, neck shape and scale length that create playability may not carry over by converting a mandocello or some other guitar to an octave mandolin, I would suspect. The details all make up a special experience to play a well thought out instrument. Certainly one could find a cheaper way to get there, but it wouldn't be the well designed, hand carved, hand stained and varnished work of art. All those things add up. Just saying. There are other possibilities, like re-necking a small vintage archtop guitar. That way at least you could dial in playability somewhat. But then you're back to needing serious luthier's skills and tools. Another way is to be patient and wait for something used to pop up. With a GOM I guess it would take a while. I bought the Clark off of the display table at a festival on the final day of the show. There was a deal made and I couldn't turn my back on it at the time. I'm poorer for it but happy.

Svea

Svea

What's the scale length on that Eastman 'cello, isn't it something like 25"? I guess you could string it as an OM, but it's going to be more of a finger-buster than the typical 20"-22" scale of most OMs. I know mandocello players find ways to deal with it in return for the low range, but it won't be as easy to get around on as a typically shorter scale OM.

One idea might be to figure out a lighter set of strings that would allow tuning up to FCGD at the same tension as the stock 'cello strings at CGDA. Then capo at the second fret. That gives you the GDAE tuning with a more typical OM scale, and plenty of fretboard to work with. Just a thought...

Jeeeessssee….!!!! Thanks Bart..! I've been coveting an archtop octave for a couple of years always coming back to the Brock with it's long wait time…. Then you go and link to Austin's page… and…. check is in the mail tomorrow OM on the way back here by the weekend.

It's only money and there are some advantages to bachelorhood…..

I haven't tried it but I could likely string my Eastman Guitar bodied mandocello as an OM with good results. These can be had in the $2k US range. In fact I'm going to do that and post back here with results.
    As warned previously, here it is:

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mandobart For This Useful Post: