Thread: Disc Makers?

Shredded Cheese Authority Emmett Marshall's Avatar

Default Disc Makers?

I've been getting a lot of interesting marketing emails from this http://www.discmakers.com company over the past several months. They do have some stuff, and possibly some services as well, that I'm thinking of. They are totally new to me. Has anyone done business with these folks? If so, how did it go for you? If not, please PM me with any info that is seriously negative - as opposed to posting it on here.

Thanks in advance.
    Weber F5 Bitteroot Octave - "...romantic and very complicated."
    My instruments professionally maintained by...RSW
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7UmUX68KtE

Default Re: Disc Makers?

I have never used them. However I know they have been around for a long time. I worked in Pennsauken, NJ for a few years back in the 90s. One of my assistants left our store to work for them. They were doing quite a bit of CD production back then.

3. The following members say thank you to rbtdalton for this post:

same company as cd baby
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

5. The following members say thank you to Barry Wilson for this post:

We used Discmakers. No complaints here.

7. The following members say thank you to Eric C. for this post:

Used Discmakers for the last project. Did the job perfectly and in the time frames they promised.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

9. The following members say thank you to red7flag for this post:

Thanks guys!

I've used Disc Makers twice. No problems and on time. Just make certain the sound files and cover art are in the formats they require and everything will go smoothly.
    Rob

12. The following members say thank you to Rob Meyer for this post:

I've used Disc Makers for two projects. They did a wonderful job. Everything went very smoothly.

14. The following members say thank you to mlinkins for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by rob_pt View Post
    I've used Disc Makers twice. No problems and on time. Just make certain the sound files and cover art are in the formats they require and everything will go smoothly.
    I've used them once and this was my experience. Don't be afraid to ask questions. There's some info on their graphics formats and color profiles you need to use that's not in an obvious place on their website. Once the guy pointed me to those things it all went well, but I wouldn't have found those things out unless I asked questions and we would have had some problems.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    I've used them once and this was my experience. Don't be afraid to ask questions. There's some info on their graphics formats and color profiles you need to use that's not in an obvious place on their website. Once the guy pointed me to those things it all went well, but I wouldn't have found those things out unless I asked questions and we would have had some problems.
    Thanks for that tip Don! When we get ready, I'm going to try and get them on the phone, act like the idiot that I truly am, and hopefully find someone there to hold my hand. That's my plan anyway.

The art is my hurdle. I don't like having to submit pdf files. another software editor to learn...
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

Used them for our last CD,no problems or complaints. Fine product and reasonable.
    Hughes F-5 #1
    Hughes A model #1
    1922 Gibson A-2
    1958 Gibson A-5

I've put out 3 CD's in the last four years using them. Easy to work with and great product. No complaints. They will also do the work on my next CD later this year.
    Gibson 2016 "Harvey" Fern
    Collings MT Mandola
    Weber 2017 Bitterroot A20-F Octave Mandolin
    Crump BIII Irish Bouzouki
    Petersen Level 2 Irish Bouzouki
    Eastman MDC805 Mandocello
    Collings 0002H
    Five & Six String Banjos
    Lots of other Guitars
    http://www.shadowfields.com

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Wilson View Post
    The art is my hurdle. I don't like having to submit pdf files. another software editor to learn...
    Giving them a PDF should not be a big deal. You don't create the art in Acrobat (the PDF program). You create it in another program and then "take a picture" of it in Acrobat.

Feel free to pm me and I will help you to the extent possible. (However bear in mind that I got out of the graphics business back when Quark Xpress was the go-to design program.)
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

*cough cough* you might have a few people that already have the skills around

Gee, Jaycat, I got out of the graphics business mere minutes before the "Letraset" market collapsed, you have made me feel old!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    Gee, Jaycat, I got out of the graphics business mere minutes before the "Letraset" market collapsed, you have made me feel old!
    If LPs and cassettes can make a comeback, so can Letraset!

But the stock I still have is getting pretty old, been in the basement for almost thirty years!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Well, I learned something about Disc Makers today. So, I was getting a marketing email from them about once a week or so - probably less than that actually, for several months. They got my attention. The other day, when I started this thread, I also clicked on a link in one of the emails they sent me that takes you to their website. Now I am getting marketing emails from them, at least, once a day, and maybe more? It's like they don't want to leave me alone now.

It seems that they have devised some sort of software application that "strikes while the iron is hot" and increases the emails that get sent out to people who click on the links in the emails already sent. I am going the "unsubscribe" route, but will probably use them because everyone has posted positive comments and I have gotten no negative ones.

Thanks everybody!

They do have great articles and downloadable pdf books on many music topics. Better than ###### emails....

Yeah I uploaded one or two albums using their services (dl only, no physical) and they provide a decent service that is first and foremost user-friendly for the non-professional. And I do think they email way too much; I'm considering opting out of that.

However I got tired of spending $49 per album (and that's just digital, no physical media) for albums that don't sell enough units to even recoup my cost (unless I also pour in even more $$$ for advertising.) So I mainly use Bandcamp now. Bandcamp is free. I do strictly digital now, no physical media at all. It seems much more intuitive for new music these days. My second choice would be Soundcloud, but that's a very different service. It's also free but is mainly geared toward uploading individual tracks. Also, it's free but you can't charge either so you can't make anything from it.

I still have a big CD collection but it's rapidly becoming a heritage technology. I only buy CDs now if the music is not available on digital download.

It's a company I've always thought I'd enjoy working for. I work in printing prepress and what I know about DiscMakers is that a large majority of the employees are musicians and there is a lot of music being played by employees during breaks and lunch hours. It seems like a place where they really enjoy their craft. I have never heard any bad things about them from people I know that have worked with them.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin