Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Banjo Ben Clark Instruction

Default Banjo Ben Clark Instruction

zero affiliation with Ben FWIW.

I recently signed up as a gold pick member on Banjo Ben's site and I just wanted to let people know that I think he has a solid product. I'm posting because I like good things to happen to people that try to offer a good product for a fair price. I'm a newish mando player and I think he does a good job of explaining a good cross section of topics, plus he does 3 instruments, Mando, Guitar and Banjo. Again I have absolutely no relationship with Ben so this post has no commercial motivation for me, it's as simple as I was wondering if his site was any good before I signed up and since I took the leap I'm happy with it. Happy playing.
    Weber Black Ice F
    Gretsch Vintage F Oval hole
    Washburn A, Oval hole Mandola
    Weber Black Ice F Octave Mandolin

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jetsedgwick For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Banjo Ben Clark Instruction

Ben is a stellar teacher and a genuinely nice guy. I am a gold member. What a great value.
    ..... f5joe

4. The following members say thank you to f5joe for this post:

Nester 

I'm also a gold member. The fact that you can learn multiple instruments is a plus.

Also I like that it's so detailed, pick strokes and tempo of the songs .
    From beginner to more advanced

It won me over pretty quick.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Obiwan For This Useful Post:

f5joeNester 

I recently found his website and watched some mando lessons-found them to be very helpful, interesting, and well taught. enjoyed it very much.
    been considering signing up as I like a lot of the music he teaches on mandolin.

d

8. The following members say thank you to darylcrisp for this post:

Nester 

I've been thinking about joining also, I'm an Aggie, a semi retired veterinarian, from Texas, so seems like a good fit. But even I'm a bit taken aback by the redneck marketing ... Still it's pretty funny though. Glad to hear the positive reviews, thanks all.

I watch Ben's videos and find him to be a very good teacher and arranger.

I just signed up for a 3-month gold pick membership. I like his arrangements a lot. Glad to know others in the group think highly of Benjo Ben too.

Been a member for around 4 years. Love the fact that he does guitar and mandolin, so it's really useful to me. (Also does banjo, but I don't play one).

Really been considering this. I guess i should sign up! Do you guys prefer the monthly membership or the one lump sum sign up?

Another plus one for Banjo Ben. I did a three month membership and let it expire. I printed out a bunch of tabs and learned a bunch of songs that still need a lot of work from me to play them up to speed. So I'm going to absorb all of this and then probably do another three month membership once I have all these songs down pat.

One of the things I like about him is that, on his fiddle tunes, he will teach the first A part and first B part as a straight melody and then the second A part and second B part as a more advanced "solo". So you learn both a straight melody that gets you going and able to play the song at a jam, and then you have the solo to work on over time if you want something flashier.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stevo75 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo75 View Post
    One of the things I like about him is that, on his fiddle tunes, he will teach the first A part and first B part as a straight melody and then the second A part and second B part as a more advanced "solo". So you learn both a straight melody that gets you going and able to play the song at a jam, and then you have the solo to work on over time if you want something flashier.
    When he started his arraignments seemed advanced intermediate and upwards. The last time I looked at his lessons he had tamed the first pass down which really helps if you are just getting started. Also if you play banjo or guitar you get that material along with the mandolin stuff. Most sites restrict you to the instrument you sign up for.

And Ben is faithful and active with new lessons. I recently signed for 3 months at one of the other popular sites and there was no new lesson posted in that 3 months.

Lastly Ben is a fun and easy to like guy to listen to. There are a few fine instructors that fail on that point.

The instructor I've enjoyed a lot also is Joe Walsh at PH Nation. Most of his lessons are geared to learning a new technique thru the teaching of a song. Ben has the coolest arraignments (my favorite licks I learned from his lessons) - Joe might be the more thoughtful and purposeful instructor. imo. I would recommend trying both at some time.

I am glad someone has brought this up. I just bought a Collings MTO (also a Texas native) and have been trying to expand my fiddle tune repertoire. Over and over, I find myself working on Banjo Ben videos. I find him engaging and humble, a good teacher and proficient at all three instruments. He seems to really enjoy not only playing but teaching. I am thinking of doing much like Stevo 75 did and get a three month membership, then work on the material. Then, re-up when needed.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

While we're on the subject it might be worth noting that Ben played behind Taylor Swift in her earlier more country career, he's a really talented pro

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Banjo Ben Clark Instruction

"Jet", I appreciate the info. I am looking to get some deeper knowledge that will help me progress and was looking into brick and mortar teachers-- super expensive! I am way behind times, so the online thing may be my best bet. Thanks for giving us a recommendation to help those interested.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Quote Originally Posted by lflngpicker View Post
    "Jet", I appreciate the info. I am looking to get some deeper knowledge that will help me progress and was looking into brick and mortar teachers-- super expensive! I am way behind times, so the online thing may be my best bet. Thanks for giving us a recommendation to help those interested.
    Ben does a good job of breaking down parts, and slowing things down. That said, it's easy to learn new music while at the same time adopting bad habits. Only a teacher focused on you can see what and how you're playing and provide advice. I would say that Ben is a great component of education, but it's important to see a qualified teacher 1:1 at least once every two weeks while you're learning fundamentals.

21. The following members say thank you to dschonbrun for this post:

I just signed up for a three month membership with the encouragement of this thread. Thanks for helping me pull the trigger.
    Tony Huber
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

__

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    While we're on the subject it might be worth noting that Ben played behind Taylor Swift in her earlier more country career, he's a really talented pro
    Wow, was not aware of that. Thanks!

Just want to say in the five days I have been a "Gold Pick" membership (gives you ability to see all the videos and download the tabs), I have not only learned new versions of tunes I had figured out on my own, but have greatly improved my playing. For one, I consider myself an intermediate player, but mostly played fret 5 and below. His introductory G scales got me working between 5 and 10, ie., starting a tune on the g note on the 3rd string going up the neck instead of to the 2nd string as I used to. This also pushed me to work on closed position work which can move anywhere. I had mostly learned mandolin tunes by ear, transposing banjo versions to the mandolin. These tended to be more jerky and syncopated. BBC arrangements tend to be more melodic and bluesy, which is getting me to hit notes I rarely hit before. The result is more interesting playing. I can now put his arrangements together with mine. Kind of fun. The main thing is he is pushing me out of the playing box I was used to. I am very thankful and having fun. He also has me working on alternating picking patterns that mimic banjo patterns. For example 3 (d), 2 (u), 4 (d), 1 (u). This is nice for backup in simple duets. I know many of you would be right to say shouldn't you have learned this when you first started playing? And the answer is yes, but was self taught (with all those limitations) and just got around learning them. Thanks for this thread for inspiring me.
    Tony Huber
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to red7flag For This Useful Post:

f5joeMateus 

Thanks so much for that Tony. I think Im going to sign up soon too!
    [Playing Since] March 2011
    [Own] Kentucky KM-150 A-Style Body with F-style Holes

Mateus, give us a review of your results when you get a chance.
    Tony Huber
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Does anyone watch Workaholics?
    One character, Anders looks like banjo Ben. Well, last week's episode Anders was randomly playing a Banjo (out of character).
    I laughed my butt off and and wondered if it was a nod or meta reference to the doppelganger.

Been a Gold member for years! Good stuff

Glad I found this thread, been on the fence about joining. Y'all pushed me to the right side!

Yep!
    Ben is good, good for you and will help you too!

(wait a minute, Daddy used to say that about some cough syrup medicine)