Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Today While Mandolinin

Thumbs up Today While Mandolinin

Hey guys,
    So on a wargame/hobby website there is a thread there to build community between the members and help with motivation. Its known affectionatly as TITHI or ''Today In The Hobby I...'', and on it members post pictures or just let people know what they have been working on.

Now i am not saying that we have a lack of community but i am saying this would help and it might help others lacking motivation to read what you are working on today and to talk about what they are working on.

So without further adieu, Today While Mandolinin... I worked on advancing my music theory with a Pete Martin book called Easy Music Theory for Fiddle and Mandolin, a free youtube series called Learn Free Music Theory(look it up) and the free instructional videos at Mando Lessons. Its been a joy to have this connection to the mandolin world while my instrument is in the shop. Cant wait to get it back on tuesday!

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mateus For This Useful Post:

Shredded Cheese Authority Emmett Marshall's Avatar

Default Re: Today While Mandolinin

The Internet is such an awesome resource for learning, sharing, and inspiration! I am trying to learn more about music theory as well. I'm not sure it's going to help my playing any, but it sucks being so ignorant and unrelatable to others in the music world. I'll check out those links. Thank you for sharing them.
    Weber F5 Bitteroot Octave - "...romantic and very complicated."
    My instruments professionally maintained by...RSW
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7UmUX68KtE

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emmett Marshall For This Useful Post:

Yes I know the feeling, posting while the instrument is in the shop. I have two new ones in the shop at the moment, all I can do is write about them, but I would prefer to be playing them. Speaking of Pete Martin, he is my teacher, and today I had a lesson with him. And then I played a lot of mandolin and guitar. It was a good day. :-)
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

6. The following members say thank you to kurth83 for this post:

Mateus 

Quote Originally Posted by Emmett Marshall View Post
    The Internet is such an awesome resource for learning, sharing, and inspiration! I am trying to learn more about music theory as well. I'm not sure it's going to help my playing any, but it sucks being so ignorant and unrelatable to others in the music world. I'll check out those links. Thank you for sharing them.
    Your very welcome!

Not trying to cause a ruckus, but I don't understand music theory for fiddle and mandolin. Music theory to me transcends instruments, theory is theory, it is what we build our music knowledge on not our mandolin or fiddle mechanical knowledge. I started learning mandolin by ear before high school,then in the school band I got my first course in theory, even though I learned theory while learning trumpet I applied what I learned to my string instruments I was playing by ear. Again I'm not trying to be an a##hole I just don't see why we consider theory instrument specific.

9. The following members say thank you to Mandoplumb for this post:

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Today while mandolinin...

I got in trouble for playing too loud and waking the baby. Can't a guy mando-shred at 3am anymore?

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zach Wilson For This Useful Post:

Striving for adequacy Mark Hawkins's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    Not trying to cause a ruckus, but I don't understand music theory for fiddle and mandolin. Music theory to me transcends instruments, theory is theory, it is what we build our music knowledge on not our mandolin or fiddle mechanical knowledge. I started learning mandolin by ear before high school,then in the school band I got my first course in theory, even though I learned theory while learning trumpet I applied what I learned to my string instruments I was playing by ear. Again I'm not trying to be an a##hole I just don't see why we consider theory instrument specific.
    I'm definitely no expert on theory either and I taught myself guitar like you did, by ear. But I guess (really guessing) why it's not instrument specific is that it's meant to be a universal language. I really don't know enough about it to comment on why learning it is important but again I'm guessing that when improvising & writing it would be beneficial to know.
    Mandolin, sorta like guitar only cooler!

Eastman MD-305
    Loar LM-700

No rucus started friend. The lesson buy Pete Martin is just focussed on theory that can help a mandolin and fiddle player to add a little richness to their playing. But you are completely right! Music theory is music theory and can be applied to any instrument. I just like how Pete's lesson is laid out.

Today I am working on "This little light of mine" using John McGann's approach to mandolin progression.

Here's the approach I'm taking.

1. Quarter note melody
    2. Eighth notes (more detailed melody with passing notes)
    3. Eighth notes with rests (varied rhythm)
    4a. Chord harmony alone
    4b. Quarter note melody with chords integrated
    5. Eighth notes with rests, chords, counterpoint, and tremolo

15. The following members say thank you to dschonbrun for this post:

Mateus 

Today, I unrolled 50 feet of audio cable, attached a condensor mic, hooked up a vocal mic, tuned 2 mandolins, and didn't play squat because I wasted 3 hours (and 3 telephone calls) on the phone with my cell provider trying to get a problem fixed that should have taken 5 minutes. There is always, "tomorrow".

Sorry to hear that emmett but like you said, there is always tomorrow.

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Today while mandolinin, I... well poop, I was too busy today to do any mandolinin, so here are some thoughts about the peripheral discussion:

Since I've been playing the Mandolin, I've learned more about how to apply music theory because I find its applications to the mandolin easier to understand. I would assume that the Music Theory for Mandolin and Fiddle is more likely a well rounded approach at how to apply the principles of music theory to the particular instrument. Yes it is a "universal language" but instrument specific application seems appropriate. For instance playing guitar, I came to a point where I recognized how the shapes of all of the types scales fit together on the neck, from one scale to the next and it made the fretboard transform into succinct puzzle piece-like shapes... while a similar thing happens on the mando, they are very different shapes. Therefore the application applies, but differently.

Mathematics is a universal language, and yet the methods for solving the circumference of a circle (geometry) is vastly different from determining the variance between demographics (statistics).

To me the idea of universality means that though it is vastly applicable, it is applicable via different methods.

Sorry for the veer, just me thoughts in response to above posts.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to soliver For This Useful Post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Spencer, I had similar thoughts, western music theory is a broad tent, underneath there is room for narrower studies as well, like "guitar theory" "mandolin theory" etc., that have to do with applying music theory to the particular instrument. The instruments have limitations that overall music theory does not have. Range of notes available, geometric patterns of scales, for instance, on the fretboard . . . there is a lot to be said for studying music theory in regard to the specific instrument you are learning or teaching.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

21. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Mateus 

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Wilson View Post
    Today while mandolinin...

I got in trouble for playing too loud and waking the baby. Can't a guy mando-shred at 3am anymore?
    Just so you know Zach, even after your kids are grown, gone and have kids of their own, apparently mando-shreds at 3am are still frowned on

23. The following members say thank you to Kevin Stueve for this post:

Mateus 

Mando-shreds are frowned on ANY time the baby is sleeping unless you want to hold said baby and get it back to sleep. Just sayin...

25. The following members say thank you to LadysSolo for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Wilson View Post
    I own two normal mandolins, one kinda-quiet one, and an extra quiet one is on order, now I just need a wife and baby to go with them. :-)
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

Mandolinin' ... After having been watching Mark Gunter's Beginner's progress videos, I decided to record a couple of videos to convince my long-distance guitar player how cool it would be to record some OTM. I got the full Red Light Fever experience, not even being able to play the most basic songs I know!! After years "on the other side of the glass" as a recording engineer, the irony wasn't lost on me.

I managed to redeem myself my setting up a little acoustic recording rig, and recording a simple version of Red Haired Boy with two mandolins & tenor guitar, so that was great. Also started learning June Apple.

Man, I love Sundays. If only weekday nights were so productive.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bbcee For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

No ruckus necessary! I totally get where you're coming from, as a saxophonist / guitarist / mandolinist.

For ME, I think it has to do with the different capabilities of the instruments. You can't play a chord on a saxophone, so I think more melodically and about what intervals make sense. The sound of a guitar lends itself to both types of playing. And the layout of a mandolin facilitates different intervals so my melody and solo ideas sound different than if I were playing the same tune on guitar.

But what it all comes back to is: Listen a lot, copy a lot, and try to do your own thing. Or, "learn the rules and then you can break them."

TODAY while mandolinin'....I taught myself the A & B parts to "Big Red" from the new Danny Knicely album, recorded it and put it on Facebook. Kind of my own #MandolinMonday if you will.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drew Streip For This Useful Post:

Yesterday while mandolinin', I took my Eastman DGM-2 and my Sobell mandola (plus a Morse treble English concertina), and went to a practice for an upcoming klezmer/Yiddish job. We went through Der Rebbe Elimelech, Ozhidanie, Ot Azoy, Nacht In Gan Eydn, bunch of others. Left practice, drove to Lima NY and the Irish session, where I led Dingle Regatta, Rights of Man, Ricketts' Hornpipe, and Merry Blacksmith, played along on a many other tunes (boy, do I enjoy Planxty Fanny Power!).

Lotsa different tunes in those mandolins, fer shur.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

32. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Mateus 

Today while mandolinin'... I continued going through Pete Martin's music theory book and picked up some awesome tips for embellishing and thinking about improvisation. Went to town on my music sheet of Amazing Grace, now i can't wait until wednesday when I can give this a go and hear what it sounds like!
    (Getting my mando back tomorrow!)

Today while mandolinin'...my mando is back from the shop and looking brand new!!! Cant wait to get back to pickin tomorrow

Today, I tested some new pick shapes and began working on the melody from Randy Newmann's theme from "The Natural".

36. The following members say thank you to dschonbrun for this post:

Mateus 

Tonight: Still trying to master a song on my OM with 78 bars and lot's of long stretching on the fretboard. Had to take frequent breaks, but it's coming along nicely. I'd like to be able to do a 60 minute set with only 3 songs. I velcro'd a tuner that I used to use with my sax to the top of my music stand. It's a wireless Korg that sends a signal from my peghead to the tuner, or it can use it's own built in microphone. I don't know why it took me so long to think of this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	athome.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	150.0 KB 
ID:	144351

Quote Originally Posted by Mateus View Post
    Today while mandolinin'...my mando is back from the shop and looking brand new!!! Cant wait to get back to pickin tomorrow
    I can feel the excitement from all the way over here!

39. The following members say thank you to Emmett Marshall for this post:

Mateus 

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Today while mandolinin'... (Actually last night) I started learning Cooley's Reel via mandolessons.com http://www.mandolessons.com/lessons/.../cooleys-reel/

Love the way Barron breaks the fiddle tunes up into small digestible chunks... Cooley's is a toughy
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

41. The following members say thank you to soliver for this post:

Mateus