Thread: What's your favorite Celtic tab book?

Default What's your favorite Celtic tab book?

Looking for a good book with a variety of tunes (reels, horn pipes, waltz, etc). Thanks!
    "They say the ocean, she is a woman, who waits for her man to come home." M.Houser

Default Re: What's your favorite Celtic tab book?

Before you buy anything, check this site out.
    http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/ir...dolin-tab.html
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve L View Post
    Before you buy anything, check this site out.
    http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/ir...dolin-tab.html
    Another site like that is http://www.mandolintab.net/, where you can also paste in a tune in ABC format and have it rendered in notation or tablature.

I like "The Mandolin Player's Pastime" http://www.elderly.com/the-mandolin-...r-mandolin.htm
    I like the fact that the tunes are tastefully harmonized, so I can record a back-up track with the guitar.
    It's a constant source of inspiration for me, I often come back to it and learn new tunes from this book, like for example "Kitty of Colerraine"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vectKaoY7uA

Thanks!
    "They say the ocean, she is a woman, who waits for her man to come home." M.Houser

I suggest getting ' O'Neills 1001 Gems, The Dance Music of Ireland ' and learning to read music, there are 1001 tunes in this great book, but as far as I know never been printed in tab form.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

I'd second Dave's suggestion, but also do not forget the huge range of Scottish and other non-Irish music which gets put into the Celtic category. loads of books around with lots of good Scottish tunes, and again I'd suggest, as Dave does, that reading from the score rather than from tab gives you a huge repertoire of stuff including using music for the highland bagpipes - an area I play a great deal of music from on the mandolin and octave, but I am Scottish, so heavily biased!
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Let's not forget thesession.org, the place to get ABC (and convert it into whatever elsewhere).

An important factor is to not stick with a written source permanently, but listen to a tune often enough to be able to hum it and let that free you from the written source asap. If you can play Happy Birthday without tab, you can do it with any tune.

9. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

www.thesession.org is an excellent source of music, it's the first place I search when looking for a tune.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

11. The following members say thank you to Dave Hanson for this post:

I have a bunch of PDF session tunebooks on my site. The link is in my signature below.

Pete
    Pete Braccio

"The Rules: Play nice and don't run with scissors"
    http://www.braccio.me
    Check out my web site for:
    Jack Tottle music files
    BBC Virtual Session files
    O'Neill's PDFs
    ITM Tunebooks, and more

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pete Braccio For This Useful Post:

Hi

FWIW and if anyone is interested

I'm actually in the process of starting to tab out some of the O'Neills collection for Mandolin

I have the first volume available as a PDF Download for sale at my website, which is under construction at the moment.

http://www.tradtrax.webspace.virginmedia.com

The website will be going to a new domain at the end of April, I will provide the link nearer the time

I intend to tab at least 4 + volumes of 30 tunes from the O'Neills collection.

Each of the volumes will have standard music notation, mandolin tab and Guitar chords for standard tuning and open `D` tuning I've also arranged most of the tunes into sets and have also provided one or two alternative ideas for melody and harmony and chord arrangements etc. My hope is that people will find the arrangements interesting and challenging as some of the arrangements include 2 note chords / Double stops

Having never tried anything like this before, I'm hoping everything will work out ok,
    This venture is very much in it's early stages but I thought I would offer up what I had available at the moment, since the thread mentioned the O'Neills collection.

Cheers
    Pkev

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pkev For This Useful Post:

Pkev, this looks excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hanson View Post
    I suggest getting ' O'Neills 1001 Gems, The Dance Music of Ireland ' and learning to read music, there are 1001 tunes in this great book, but as far as I know never been printed in tab form.

Dave H
    Is that a challenge? There are thousands of people on mandolincafe. We'd need just an ePDF of the book, then each of us writes one tune on 'Musescore' or similar, then one week later we have the whole book as tab. Community effort -and as such it could get a lot of interest.
    -but we'd also probably get into various sorts of trouble with copywright problems etc, maybe.
    Or pay someone to TAB it out? It is a great book, that's underestimated simply because of the lack of TAB.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by atsunrise View Post
    Is that a challenge?
    It is the kind of challenge which makes you stoop so low to pick it up that you fall over.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Hi

Thanks for the comment Robbie, The O'Neills collection has been a great source and influence for many years which is why I'm undertaking this venture. I should maybe put up another sample of perhaps a slower tune from the selection as they tend to use 2 note chords a bit more, and the arrangements I think are more interesting. I'm also working on the second volume so I'm gonna put the index up for those tunes soon. I'm also doing these volumes for whistle / flute and when I get time I'll put up audio samples as well

Cheers
    Pkev

20. The following members say thank you to pkev for this post:

i'd start with this site. mandolin cafe has lots of great tablature tunes.