Thread: strings for 18inch mandola

Default strings for 18inch mandola

Hoping to tune this gdad if anybody can reccomend string sets

Default Re: strings for 18inch mandola

I don't have an 18" 'dola, but I do play a 17" 10 string mandolin-dola and a 21" OM. Both use octave pairs. I'm assuming you want to be in normal mandola range. On my OM the octave higher G is a .024. The octave higher D is a .020. The higher A is a .012. For the E's I use a pair of .013's or .014's. Of course the tension will be lower on your 18", particularly when tuning down the E to a D.

For my 17" dola on the "normal" (not octave higher strings) G is .036, D is .022, A is .014. I use .010 for the E's but they are maxed out on tension. My octave higher D (your top course) is a .011.

So the strings you want on each course will lie between what I use on my 'dola and the octave higher strings on my OM. Since both of these have Allen tailpieces that accept ball or loop strings I can go to any music store that sells individual strings to make up my custom sets. If you need loops you are better off ordering on line, unless you don't mind cutting out the brass balls.

Default Re: strings for 18inch mandola

I restrung the dean last night and had to cut a brass ball out and nipped the string... had to make a loop on the other end

my 17" likes the J72's. I have J76 on now and the tension is pretty high
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1