Thread: Noob question playing in different keys

Striving for adequacy Mark Hawkins's Avatar

Default Noob question playing in different keys

I subscribe to Mike Marshall's school. He recommended that I play "You Are My Sunshine" in D because it better fits my voice. So does that change the melody notes? What I mean is if the group is playing in D and I get a break do I still follow the melody as I learned it in the key of G?
    Mandolin, sorta like guitar only cooler!

Eastman MD-305
    Loar LM-700

Default Re: Noob question playing in different keys

Yes it does change the notes. All the notes need to move up a fifth or down a fourth. In the key of G only the F note is sharped, in the key of D both F and C are sharped. You should probably get a teacher or friend to help you because there is more than can be explained in a paragraph or so. It is a lot easier to show than tell.

3. The following members say thank you to CarlM for this post:

Take your g solo and move it one string towards the floor.

--A

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Andy Hatfield For This Useful Post:

Thanks guys, that helps a bunch! I'd ask Mike but honestly it takes a week or two for an answer. I realize that I've got a lot to learn about theory and several scales to master but I'm just at the point where I'm grasping I,IV,V here so the simple explanation is probably best. I'm sure I'll get to the whys & wherefores soon. In the meantime I can at least transfer what I know down a string.

Eastman MD-305
    Loar LM-700

part of the appeal of a mandolin easy to change keys, just move the pattern up or down a string.

8. The following members say thank you to Kevin Stueve for this post:

It's great to find a quick down and dirty solution. BUT, I suggest that while you USE the quick solution, you spend some time understanding the theory behind the quick solution. As you increasingly understand the "whys", you will be able to apply solutions to a wide variety of questions that arise.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jshane For This Useful Post:

Howdy Mark,
    Here's a basic Mandolin version of "You are my sunshine" in D with guitar back. It requires tefview(free), a small download available here. You can turn off either track in the top right hand corner of the screen, where you see "1" and "2", you can also turn the volume down in either track under Midi options; you can switch to notation by clicking the little "M" in the bottom right hand corner of the screen. Hopefully, I won't be in trouble with Mike

YouMySunshine(basic).tef

12. The following members say thank you to bennyb for this post:

But you have landed on, perhaps, the best place to start learning how music works. And the answer will stick with you. This one is much easier than it looks, even if it doesn't map into words all that well. Once you grasp it, you'll probably slap your forehead and go "duh." I would encourage you to strive for that magic moment. Search online. Review a few youtube videos or little written lectures until you get it. Mike will appreciate your enterprise and he'll have a better idea about how to seed your musical future.

From there...that's the paradigm for understanding the rest of music. 1) It's not that complicated, 2) you're probably just one idea away from understanding that big idea 3) you probably need to understand a given small idea before the big idea will click. So, peck away at the small ideas and strive to understand the bigger ones.

Happy deciphering

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pointpergame For This Useful Post:

A very useful tool from the old jazz player's trick book is to learn the melody of a tune like "You are my Sunshine" and then play it in every key, all of them, including all the flat ones. You really learn your instrument that way.

Granted it's not needed for most styles of mandolin playing, but being able to play in any key certainly adds to your versatility.

Imagine showing up at an Irish session...the one where they tune to Eb.....and being able to play all your D, G, A, Em, etc. tunes in Eb, Ab, Bb, Fm, and so on.

Or the Bluegrass session where someone wants to play the tune in B.

Not to mention playing any jazz with horn players.

Just a thought.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by pointpergame View Post
    ... 1) It's not that complicated, 2) you're probably just one idea away from understanding that big idea ...
    Absolutely! I spent decades assiduously avoiding theory, even if I knew some scales, lots of chords, and a usable bunch of licks on guitar. Upon finally diving into "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Theory", I was amazed at how easy a read it was and how smoothly all those threateningly mysterious bits & pieces fell together. Definitely DID slap my forehead and go "duh"!

It's about as complicated as learning that there are 26 letters and some of them are vowels and they can come together to form whatever sound, or idea, you want.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EdHanrahan For This Useful Post:

Thanks all for the advice. I fully intend to spend some time working on theory (actually since my original post I've taken & passed the 1st section quiz @ Artistworks) I simply needed the quick solution so I could finally play/sing a tune at the weekly jam session I attend rather than pass to the next person. I played "You Are My Sunshine" in D @ the session last night & took a break to play the basic melody line (in the correct key)! This was a huge deal for me. I had a teacher in high school tell me that I couldn't sing & should use his class as an extra studyhall. I've played guitar for decades as well Ed, but I never, ever sang. I never really realized until recently what a devastating effect that teacher's comment had on my psyche. It was a tough hurdle to overcome but I threw myself out there last night & I'm never looking back!

Eastman MD-305
    Loar LM-700

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mark Hawkins For This Useful Post:

Congrats!
    Way to go, Mark!

(Wasn't there a thumbs up icon somewhere?)

22. The following members say thank you to pit lenz for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by pit lenz View Post
    Congrats! ...
    (Wasn't there a thumbs up icon somewhere?)
    Not sure, but the "thumbs up" sign supposedly means different things in different countries (I didn't know this until recently). Wikipedia link, and random Google Search results: link and more info and another link. I suppose, since this is an internationally-viewed website, they probably didn't want misinterpretations or something. That would be my guess, anyway. I tend to use the mandosmiley icon: for things like that.

24. The following members say thank you to Jess L. for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hawkins View Post
    Thanks all for the advice. I fully intend to spend some time working on theory (actually since my original post I've taken & passed the 1st section quiz @ Artistworks) I simply needed the quick solution so I could finally play/sing a tune at the weekly jam session I attend rather than pass to the next person. I played "You Are My Sunshine" in D @ the session last night & took a break to play the basic melody line (in the correct key)! This was a huge deal for me. I had a teacher in high school tell me that I couldn't sing & should use his class as an extra studyhall. I've played guitar for decades as well Ed, but I never, ever sang. I never really realized until recently what a devastating effect that teacher's comment had on my psyche. It was a tough hurdle to overcome but I threw myself out there last night & I'm never looking back!
    Mark, this is the coolest thing I've read in a while, you rock, Daddy-o! Long live those who teach and encourage, may those who crush dreams be blighted . . . or enlightened . . . or something, anyway, congrats.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark Gunter For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hawkins View Post
    Way to go Mark! Similar story for me by the way. My 5th grade (or was that 6th grade?) music teacher told me (in front of the class) that I should sing more quietly or not at all. Devastating in retrospect because I never sang again really (I'm nearly 60 now). Once I started trying to learn mando (still trying to learn for that matter) I realized that being unable, or un-willing, to attempt to vocalize made learning tunes by ear extremely difficult. I'm still a poor ear-learner but (I hope) getting better and I do make a some attempt to sing now to figure out things...

David

28. The following members say thank you to DSDarr for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    Granted it's not needed for most styles of mandolin playing, but being able to play in any key certainly adds to your versatility.

Imagine showing up at an Irish session...the one where they tune to Eb.....and being able to play all your D, G, A, Em, etc. tunes in Eb, Ab, Bb, Fm, and so on.

Just a thought.
    Though of course the idea is to just tune your instrument up a semi-tone, in the process excluding the box and whistle players, though I do take your point.

30. The following members say thank you to James Rankine for this post: